cold, numb, very painful shoulders, arms and hands.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Jan 21, 2003.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

during the night! I awaken many times during the night with my cold, painful arms and hands and my shoulders KILL me if I lie on my sides. I can't breathe and I snore if I am drugged enough to fall asleep on my back. This is all a relatively new problem for me. I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis and numerous bulging discs and joint arthropathy a short time ago. This was verified via MRI of the LS spine. I'd give anything if I'd asked for a cervical spine MRI at the time, but I didn't. My hands are swollen are hurt for a long time after a get up in the morning. I wonder if this is stenosis of the cervical spine impinging on the nerves there as well. What do you think?
    Madwolf, I'd LOVE to know your opinion, too.
    Love,
    Kady
  2. raingold

raingold New Member

Dear Kady,
    Yes, I experience the same thing, yet it is not as bad as it was in the past. I call it "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome". Yes, the brachial plexus (nerve bundle that supplies nerves from the cervical vertebrae to the arms and hands) gets impinged while sleeping on your side. If at all possible, try and sleep on your back with your arms straight. I have found that very hard to do, but at least I start the night out that way and it helps. I also take herbs to help with circulation and nerve repair as well as a linament in the morning (I'm not allowed to give the name, due to rules of the board, but you may research for yourself). Also, drink lots of water--it increases blood volume that helps carry away inflammation. Hope this helps, Raingold
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'll do this. I am glad I am not alone with this problem because it *does* help to know that it is probably not too serious and that others have lived with it, too, and survived.
    Love,
    Kady
  4. OgllallaWin

OgllallaWin New Member

Hi, I was also waking up in the middle of the night with numb hands and pain in my arms and shoulders. I was diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOC) on the left side, Carpal Tunnel in both hands, and Bursitis in left shoulder. The TOC was an interesting diagnosis. He put an audio scope on my wrist and then moved my arm around. I could hear my heartbeat, but as soon as the arm was placed either above the shoulder, or pushed to the back, the heartbeat stopped! And the numbness would start up. Sort of scary. I go to a PT for bursitis and told her I had TOC too so she gave me some exercises for it.

Stand in a door way placing one hand on each side of the door jamp. Keeping your hands there, step forward through the door. You'll feel a stretching in the front of the shoulders. It's supposed to help. You want to stretch out that part of your body.

Good luck!!

[ advertisement ]