Cold sweats, anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Jun 4, 2005.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey Everybody!!
    It's been awhile since I've posted, but I really would like advice on this subject. For many, many years, I have suffered from SEVERE perspiration, mostly on my face and scalp and neck. Before you say it, let me tell you that this started LONG before I was menopausal and I saw a doctor about it when I was in my late twenties and insisted that he do labwork to check hormone levels, just in case there was some premature drop in estrogen or something. He laughed when he got the results, telling me that I was not having hormone problems. I had my uterus removed when I was in my twenties, but my ovaries stayed put until four or five years ago. I took HRT for the first couple of years after my ovaries were removed and I take an OTC supplement now since I really didn't have any less sweating with the Estrogen. I don't know if the supplement really helps or not. I understand when I perspire from vacuuming or rushing around in the heat, but what I don't understand is why I POUR sweat from my face and scalp when everyone else around me doesn't. For years I have believed that this symptom was stress/anxiety-related and I have found no evidence to believe it could be anything else. I do this at work when I am at my med cart, preparing my patient's meds. I especially have a problem if a person comes to the cart to speak to me; I feel as if I am cornered and under pressure, almost a "fight or flight" response to feeling threatened. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I feel like I need to back away and I begin to perspire heavily under my eyes and from my scalp. I can actually decide to go slowly and to be calm before this happens and I can actually put the response off for awhile, but if I have to rush or if one of the CNA's asks me to come to a patient's (very small) room, the water starts dripping from my face. I take an antidepressant, Lexapro, but this doesn't help this particular problem. It doesn't matter whether I am slim or not-so-slim. High humidity makes me perspire more, but the heat really isn't the problem. I can be in an air-conditioned room and this will happen if I feel anxious. When I begin to sweat, I may feel warmth to my face, but I get very cold as the sweat evaporates and my body cools down, as if I have a high fever. My face gets extremely flushed and then pale as I cool down.
    Does anyone else suffer from this, or am I the ONLY one with this problem, too? I get tired of trying to explain it to the MANY people who ask what is wrong with me, so I just laugh and say, "Hot Flashes!!"
    Please say something to make me feel better!! LOL
    Kady
  2. ceili

ceili New Member

I not only get cold sweats, I also get hot sweats. It just comes upon me. I need to put on a sweater or wrap myself in a blanket.........then have to take the sweater or blanket off. I guess it's part of my exercise. :)

I have CFS and thyroid issues and a few other things no one has put a name to as yet.

I totally understand the sweating around your hair, back of neck, temples. Some days it's worse than others....then might stop for a few weeks. It's very erratic.

So sorry you are experiencing this but wanted you to know you are not alone.

God bless!
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I really appreciate your response! I, too, have thyroid issues and I take Levoxyl 100 mcg. daily for Hypothyroidism. I have never been able to associate the perspiration with this or my Fibro or SLE or hypertension or chronic back pain; anxiety is the only thing that ever made sense to me and, believe me, I'd rather it be caused by anything but this. I cannot seem to manage anxiety and these panic attacks, or whatever, really bug the heck outta me!
    I hate that you have them, but it is nice not to be the only one!
    Kady
  4. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

I been having this alot over the past few weeks.I can be sitting or laying down get cold and than I sweat,in fact it happen all night at work last night (10pm-7am) was getting in the way of doing my work(what work I'm capable of doing)..Did I big NONO last night,was sent over to zone up HBA and had to sit on the floor to get the 2 bottom shelves (did 2 aisle both sides)ws hurting the whole timeand let me tell you I know I will be having problem getting out of bed later...
    Mary
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Do you have any clue as to the cause of your sweats? Are you taking meds that can cause this or are you menopausal? I know when I used to take Ultram, my sweats were much worse and I had them ALL the time. I have ruled out the usual things, such as blood pressure, blood sugar, medications, diet pills, menopause and/or being overdressed for the room temp., and all I can truly attribute these clammy, cold, hot, drippy, pouring sweats is anxiety and stress. There is no odor when I perspire and when I cool off, I don't feel dirty or sticky; baby powder helps afterward, but it does nothing to prevent the sweats, nothing does. As I said before, It's mainly from my neck, up. I am dry elsewhere. Make-up is useless and I wear little other than a little eyeliner pencil at work now; I have found no foundation that can withstand the perspiration or the tissues I use to blot my face, eyes and neck with. Even when I am getting ready for church and I know I'll be in a room FULL of people, I sweat; my contact lens' float and the sweat makes my eyes burn. Heaven forbid I have to perform CPR on a patient and sweat MORE profusely while being unable to wipe my face every few seconds!!!!!Even shopping @ WalMart and FoodLion get me like this! Talking to another person, up close and personal will cause me to break out in a sweat. I use a cold wrap (that I keep in the freezer) around my neck or as a "headband" when I become flushed or when I get hot here at home; THIS is different from a hot flash or night sweat, but I treat them the same way.
    Thank you, Mary, for replying!
    Keep Cool!
    Kady
  6. 99

99 New Member

I've always said that I was 10 degrees hotter than others... and this was true even way back when I was young and slim! It was horribly embarrassing, especially as I also worked as a nurse, and feared that others were looking at me as if I were on drugs. (I wasn't, and still am not.)

I was in Wal Mart the other day, hanging onto my cart and creeping my way through the store. I sat down on the benches every chance I got. As you all know, the place is air conditioned, but I was drenched in sweat from the neck up. Didn't feel hot or exertional, and was mortified by the rivulets of perspiration running down my face and neck. I have been this way for years and years, even tho I did not drink a drop of alcohol, for anyone who was wondering.

It seems that I sweat when air is not moving. I sleep with a fan blowing on my face, even in air conditioning. It's not so much the temperature, as whether the air is stagnant or moving that makes the difference.

I know this sounds unbelievably picky to anyone who hasn't experienced it, but it is really extremely embarrasing and humiliating. Wish I knew the reason for it.

I thought I was the only one....

Gail (99)
  7. tonyab1838

tonyab1838 New Member

When I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, that's when mine started. I would be hot one minute and freezing cold the next and would sweat profusely. I started taking extra clothes with me to work. Now, I am experiencing more hot sweats with FMS. I just sweat most of the time. Someone told me that pain killers will make you sweat. I don't know if it is true. It doesn't matter if it is winter, I live in Indiana, or summer. I also get panic attacks and I am pretty sure that is what you are experiencing when you feel cornered. I start breathing very heavy and sometimes feel as though I am going to pass out, when it gets really bad. I hope that in some way I have helped you. You helped me. Thanks.

Tonya
  8. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

DIdn't notice it on any of my meds as side affects,don't think it menopausal had hysterectomy...It can happen,morning,day or night and no one else around me has this problem.I constanally feeling more flush at work(Walmart) than at home..Just know I don't like feeling that way,but nice to know I'm not the only one thats going through this...Hope you had a nice weekend..
    Mary
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've already gone through the hot flash/body flush circuit. My estrogen level is a big zero now.

My sweating started last fall. Around the same time I started a low dose of zoloft. Sometimes they can cause excessive perspiration.

I am hypothyroid too with FMS. I know they say that hyperthyroidism can cause excessive sweats. Have you had your level tested recently?

I also just say 'hot flash again' when it happens too.
    What else can you do.

Eileen
  10. MeNow

MeNow New Member

Oh G. It make feel less weird to know that I am not alone. Just typing this start an attack of sweat. I saw endo's and internists. It came before all medication for pain except tyl. I have a thyroid issue too I am hypo and had 1/2 of it taken out and now on Eltroxin ( but remember all that sweatinmg started before all that ) I have chronic pain and fibro take Elavil that I am phasing out of MSContin that gave me back my life but don't want a wet one. My Dr thought it was menopause and upped my estrogen to no avail.(I am 62) I was told to learn to live with it. This summer was the worst. Thinking about dressing did it so imagine living my life......My suspicion is that it has something to do with the Autonomus nervous system. A broken thermostat and no store around to buy parts.The problem is that the blood and urine tests are borderline like my thyro tests for years of feeling miserable but the # runned my life until I had piece of it out (thyro) I did a lot of reading on the subject and want to try quided imagery it did help me in different situations but it takes time to get to a good level of succes.
    Menow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2005]
  11. tcluna

tcluna New Member

i have the same problem ... they said it is related to panic disorder which i have. it can biological or physcological panic but its the bodies panic response which is innappropriate.
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

So tired of sweating...never cold, always hot! I don't know the cause...could be menopausal (58), meds (thyroid, antidepressant, and Vicodin) or it could be neither or both or something entirely different.

I usually sweat after I eat something! Now that's a real blast. I just figured that out the other day, and now it seems to hold true. If it's my metabolism burning the food, why am I still so fat? Clueless.

I am tired of never knowing when I'm going to break out in a waterfall off my head. Seems like it comes from inside...I'm cool, and then I suddenly start to warm up and POW! It's the sweats again.

I'm sorry about your problem. If I had an answer, I would certainly share it with the world! Of course, I'd share it here first.

Any tips you get, please share. Going to go lie by the fan for a few minutes and see if I can cool down.

Good luck, Kady!

Sue