Cold weather cooking .. how do you keep warm ? Recipes ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xchocoholic, Jan 29, 2007.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

It's cold (46 degrees) here in Florida so I am heating up the house by cooking ... I know, waa waa waa, but it's cold to me ...

Yesterday I woke up to a pot of great northern beans with pork cooking in the crock pot.. Yum ... A reason to get out of bed ...

Then proceeded to bake the following cookies from mind connection dot com with substitutions of course... I'm not getting out in this ... LOL

This recipe is ideal for anyone who doesn't want the insulin swings, osteoporosis, increased risk of diabetes, excess bodyfat, and tooth decay that come from eating refined sugar. It's also ideal for anyone who doesn't want the clogged arteries and saturated fat that butter provides. These cookies contain required-for-health unsaturated fats. And they are delicious!

1 cup canola oil (or any unsaturated oil)
    2 eggs, large (preferably free-range)
    2 bananas, medium (or use pureed apples for less sugar)
    1 apple
    1 cup water
    1 cup amaranth flour
    1 cup soy flour
    1 cup oat groats (not oatmeal)
    ½ cup raisins, medium
    2 tbspn arrowroot powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    2 oz vanilla
    2 tblspn cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 ºF.
    Apply coating of oil to cookie pan.
    Mix oil, eggs in large bowl.
    Puree apple in blender (do NOT peel), using about ½ the water.
    Add pureed apples to mix, rinse blender into bowl with remaining water.
    Mix in amaranth.
    Mix in soy.
    Mix in the other dry ingredients, except cinnamon.
    After mixing the above, add cinnamon and vanilla.
    Add water as needed for consistency.
    Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 15 to 17 minutes.

The cookies will be soft, and they are entirely dunkable! These use no saturated fat or processed sugar. The cinnamon will boost your metabolism (burning fat in the process), and the high protein of the amaranth and soy will nourish your muscles. The fat in these is the kind your body needs for healthy nerves and tissue, as well as for the metabolism of other fats. The fruits provide fiber and (except for the raisins) low-glycemic sugar.

How cold is it where you are and what are you cooking to stay warm ? Marcia

2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

What is the difference between oat groats and steel cut oats?
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

This website shows you a pic of oats and an indepth explanation ... I copied in a little ..

Oats, like barley, have a hard outer hull that must be removed before it’s ready for human consumption. Even though the outer hull of an oat kernel comes off easier than a barley kernel’s hull, it’s still not within reach of the average consumer to accomplish this.

For this reason, if you want whole oats to eat, purchase them already hulled. Hulled oats, called oat groats, look very much like rye or Triticale.

Unlike barley which must have it’s hull sanded off damaging the seed, an oat groat kernel’s outer bran layer is still intact after de-hulling.

This somewhat protects the inner nutrients and also permits it to sprout. From this stage of processing, oats are most often rolled.

Sometimes they are cut into two to four pieces before rolling and are called ‘steel cut rolled oats,’ or quick rolled oats. Opening the seed in this way permits oxidation of the inner nutrients causing them to go rancid.

Long ago, it was learned if oat groats were steamed first destroying the enzymes that permitted rancidity to happen, the rolled oats could be stored for long periods of time and stay fresh.

I didn't know this either ... marcia
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

my cold weather homemade soup is (Beans) I soak them over nite and then put them in the crockpot in the morning, Let them get cookin good 1 cup of Beans 2 cups water, Garlic , onions, carrots,celery,potatoes, and just let it cook togeather all day add water as needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I also add a pinch of salt and a tsp of brown sugar for taste. And then I eighter make cornbread or wholewht biscuts to go with it! and also you can add ham or bacon too,,,,,,,,,,It's good!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Quick bread pudding.

Save stale bread. Tear into shreds (you can butter if you want or not if dieting) Whisk two eggs and milk together and cover the bread ina pyrex bowl add raisins or any other fruit and stir it together. The mixture looks a little like french toast firmness. Sprinle with cinnamon if desired.

Microwave til cooked anything from 5 mins to 12 depending on your microwave and size of pudding. When firm to touch, invert over a plate and slice. Serve piping hot with vanilla icecream or cream. YUMMY!!! Going to make some now.

Love Annie
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Yum .. I would have never thought to put brown sugar in my beans ... I wish I could have cornbread still .. that sounds really good ...

Can you believe I've never had bread pudding ..

I love french toast though. When I used to make mine, I'd pour the remaining egg mixture over the toast in the pan and sprinkle brown sugar on it and let it cook. These are really good with apricot preserves.

I was thinking a pot of chili would be really good right now too.

Do y'all cook to heat up the house in the winter months ? Or is this just a Florida thing ?

What great cooks you all are!! I love to make chicken noodle soup..I throw anything and everything in the pot. I buy a chicken that is already cooked, a couple of bags of frozen vegetables, and any other vegetable in the refrig. Sometimes, I use cannned beans instead of noodles, or I have been known to use both at the sametime. The only seasoning I use is salt and pepper.

I'm in the San Francisco bay area and the weather isn't too bad now..we just about froze a week or so ago. I was very concerned about my fuit trees, but, they seem to have survived..thankfully.

Thanks for the great recipes..have a great evening!
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi there,

With all these recipes floating around I am really getting hungry. Unfortunatly I didn't make any soup today and I have to go out into the cold weather tonight.

If anyone wants an easy taco/Mexican bean soup here it is. You can probably play around with it as much as you want to your liking. The orig recipe calls for :

1 can each (not drained) of black beans, red beans, pinto, corn
    2 cans of chopped tomatoes,14.5 oz or whatever they are now)
    1-2 cans of water - try one can first and see if you want to make it thinner or thicker
    1 can of chicken (or leftover if you have it, hamburger would probably work too)
    1 pkg of taco seasoning
    1 pkg.of Ranch dressing - the first time I didn't have that and I just squirted in some Ranch dressing (liquid) at the end. Just throw it all together and let it cook for awhile , as much as you want. Taco chips are good if you have them and a dollap of sour cream and shredded cheese on top. It is delicious but you have to have all the stuff !! If you don't have one can of beans add an extra amt of whtever you like, I did. The first time I added extra red beans cause I didn't have any pinto. Probably a bread, regular or cornbread would be good with it and a salad or just the soup-YUMMY !! Enjoy !!

Warm hugs to all !

Granni (Marilyn)

9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had Victoria make them this morning, wonderful! And now it's the evening and I'm sneezing my head off!!! DADGUMMIT!! I don't care. And when I get my other food which I'm undoubtedly going to sneeze at, I'm going to eat it anyway!!!

It was so nice to sink my teeth into a nice, baked cookie and piece of bread for a change. I'm going to get over these stupid food allergies if I have to go "monk" for a month and meditate them away.

I've gone through a half a roll of toilet paper today, blowing my nose. Not only is it inconvenient and annoying, but it really robs my energy. I'm going to take some more mito fuel this evening. Sneezing is almost like running in short bursts, really tiring.

marcia, I had to sub all kinds of things but they're still great! I wished I had some oats, but I just did without. Funny, they look just like tollhouse cookies, same color and texture and "chippy" with the raisins. I put honey in, too, as I've gotta have sweet in my banana bread and cookies.

And Tony brought more pumpkin seeds so I got more caesar salad, too. Boy did I miss that dressing! Definitely my favorite, too.

I tried sitting up and doing my friend's W2s today and just got beat to death really fast from sitting and braining. Oh well, guess I still qualify for disability. I'll have to go finish in the morning.

Tony also brought the dvd jackass #2 which we're just putting in now. I love these idiots! My favorite from #1 was "the gooch", anyone know what that was?

see ya,

10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I added chicken to my beans tonight and loved it ... Good luck with your fruit trees...

Worshstershire sauce - yum ... I am eager to try one of these recipes with a variety of beans. I would have never thought to use black eyed peas, but I always liked them ...

Appreciate the tip on not burning tomato based soups ...

Thanks for sharing your recipe and cooking tips ... I'm using whatever veggies I have too. I had cabbage in my beans and now in my beans and chicken soup. Then topped it with raw green onions. Yum ...

We are eating well here, aren't we ?? I enjoy cooking when it is cold ... Your mexican soup looks good ..

Don't you just love homemade cookies and bread ? Why do you think you are sneezing ? Bummer ... My nose ran when I drand GF beer the other day ... We are weird, you know ... LOL

I didn't like the jackass movie, but I was trying to watch it with my daughter a few years ago not knowing what was in it ...

Did you get my message about it having too much oil ? I ate them again today, anyway ...

11. Catseye

Catseye Member

yes, I used much less oil, just like 2 tbsp of coconut oil and also 2 tbsp of honey. I only have coco and olive oil and I didn't want to disturb the taste too much. I have a terrible urge to slather butter all over the cookies AND the bread. I used mostly bananas, too, in the cookies. Next time I'll use a bit more oil and honey, though.

We got through half of jackass and then 2 1/2 men was on, which I really like. Half of the jackass stuff is hilarious and the other half is pathetic "loserboy" attempts at pain and suffering. One of the less than x-rated things they did was to lock the doors of the limo with some of the guys inside, drop a hive full of bees down through the sunroof, and let them sit there for a couple of minutes. Then they had a bunch of marbles strewn out on the ground outside the car door and they opened the door. I laughed long and hard at that one.

Have you heard of the 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe? It's just 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter and one egg. Mix them up and bake them. I've made it with half the sugar and it's sweet enough. They're crunchy and delicious. I can eat about 1/2 a cookie. What do you think we can sub for the sugar and still have the cookie taste good? Do you think banana would work? Or what else would you sub or add?

12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

xylitol in your cookies?? It tastes just like sugar and is safe for diabetics. It does cost more than sugar, however. Use sparingly- has a mild laxative effect!
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

For some reason, I don't like my pb cooked anymore. I tried making those cookies about a month ago and it just tasted funny.

However .... I would nuke one of the cookies you baked yesterday and put pb on top ... I tried it and loved it ... Of course, I also eat pb from a spoon several times a day ... Bad habit ... I really need to get some almond or cashew butter ...

have a good day everyone ... I'm off to run some errands ... marcia

14. Catseye

Catseye Member

Okay, xylitol it is! Now where the heck can I get it? I may have to order it.

And I'm ready to try some pb again. Last time my liver had a protest rally and made me pay for it for days. But it seems to be happy here, lately. Too bad I just pigged out on chicken, salad and veggies and have no room left for cookie and pb. But later I'll try it for sure. I may stick some on the banana bread, too. Just because I was so used to putting butter on it when I used to eat it.

I miss Entenman's banana bread from my old life. They had the best and their pound cake, too. In fact, we should sue Entenman's; they're TOO good. I'm sure they have a hand in my cfs. All those addictive cakes induce cravings that are not natural! I'll bet the people who make it don't eat it.

I won't hardly eat the cooked pb cookies, they are Tony and Segundo's latest favorites but they both need to watch their weight. Tony has finally got slim again and Segundo is still "pudgy" but has lost alot of weight after his high blood pressure scare. Victoria brought me that heart monitor printout thing that shows each heartbeat and it was creepy.

None of them were normal and they looked like a liar's lie detector test. His pressure was 180 over 140. I had printed out some stuff on high blood pressure for him in Spanish and that scared him enough to go to the doctor. Victoria said after the test, the doctor spent a good bit of time yelling at him about it because he already knew he had high blood pressure and hadn't done anything about it. Now he takes pills. He had gone 4 years without seeing the doctor about it. So the doctor yelled at him he has 4 less years to live.

acupressure appt, gotta go!

15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I tried to order some yesterday, but found it had doubled in price! I think the demand has increased so the price increased too.....wahhh! Most health food stores carry it......
  16. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Great post, I'm gonna make a big pot of beans this weekend!
    My favorite "warm-up" recipe is:

Auntie Jane's Chicken Stew

1 large onion, chopped
    3 carrots, chopped in fairly large pieces
    4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
    optional - half a small rutabaga, peeled and chopped
    4 skinless chicken breasts (I use bone-in as they're cheaper, and remove the bones before serving)
    1 large handful pearl barley
    1 heaping tablespoon chicken stock powder or 4 cubes
    (or to taste)
    a few whole peppercorns

Place vegetables, uncooked, in bottom of pressure cooker. Place chicken on top (you can cut it into very large chunks but it's not necessary). Sprinkle barley over top. Toss in chicken cubes and peppercorns. Add cold water to cover.

Seal lid and bring to a boil, turn down to medium-low. Steam should escape from time to time. Cook about 40 minutes.

Remove chicken, debone and cut into big chunks, return to pot and mash all with a potato masher until thick (but leave lots of nice chunks). Season to taste.

We add Worchestershire sauce at the table and serve with hot rolls. Warms you up inside and out!
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I just made some......yum....
    3 c. whole wheat flour
    3 T. ground flax seed
    1 big T. baking powder
    dash of salt
    1/3 c. buttermilk powder
    3 eggs
    3 c. water
    1/3 c. safflower oil
    1 T.honey
    Mix up the dry ingredients and stir in the liquid ingredients. Leave a few lumps.
    Very good with pure maple syrup!
  18. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

19. fight4acure

fight4acure Member