Coleus Forskohlii herb for energy and thyroid support - update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spiritsky, Mar 4, 2007.

1. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I've been looking for an herb specifically for thyroid support..there are not many out there...Here's an herb that I've been using for a week. I know, only one week, but it's effect is very noticeable. It increases cAMP in the cells and also helps the pituitary/hypthalmus hormone feedback loop work more efficiently and increases thyroid hormone output.

Usually, I find it takes a few weeks to notice the effect from an herb, but with this one I noticed in just 3 days. I feel I have much more energy and my wife is also taking it with a noticeable increase in energy in just a few days.

If you try it make sure to get a standardized extract.

I'd like to hear if anyone else out there has used this herb and what there experience was?

Coleus Forskohlii Herb Extract
    This "power" herb has an active ingredient in it called forskolin. It has been used in ayruvedic medicine for many years. Forskolin's basic mechanism of action is that it increases the amount of cyclic AMP (adenosine monophosphate) in cells by activating an enzyme called adenylate cyclase. Cyclic AMP (cAMP) is one of the most important secondary messengers in the cell. It is considered to be one of the most important cell regulating compounds.

Under normal circumstances, cAMP forms by adenylate cyclase activation due to hormonal stimulation at the cell receptor site. However, forskolin seems to bypass this reaction and allows for an increase in intracellular cAMP to occur. Why is it important to increase cAMP levels? Well, there are several benefits of this to athletes including relaxation of the arteries and smooth muscles, lowering blood pressure, enhanced insulin secretion (which can help drive carbohydrates and protein into muscle cells for energy and recovery), increased thyroid hormone function (which can help enhance metabolic rate), and significantly increase lipolysis (fat burning). Forskolin also seems to benefit other cellular enzymes as well.

The breakdown of fat for fuel (lipolysis) is actually regulated by cAMP. Forskolin has been shown to not only enhance lipolysis but it may also inhibit fat storage from occurring. This is very good news for individuals trying to lose bodyfat and get lean. Another way that forskolin may allow for fat loss to occur is by stimulating thyroid hormone production and release. Thyroid hormone controls metabolism and can enhance metabolic rate, which may translate into more fat loss.

One of the overlooked benefits of forskolin includes its stimulation of digestive enzymes, which can allow individuals to digest and assimilate their food better. It has been shown to increase nutrient absorption in the small intestine.

Forskolin has been shown to be safe and effective and has a great amount of potential as a sports supplement. As with most dietary supplements, more human research is needed but the future looks bright for this compound.

Forskolin is a labdane diterpene that is produced by the plant Plectranthus barbatus. Forskolin is commonly used to raise levels of cyclic AMP (cAMP) in the study and research of cell physiology. Forskolin resensitizes cell receptors by activating the enzyme adenylyl cyclase and increasing the intracellular levels of cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate (cyclic AMP or cAMP). Cyclic AMP is an important signal carrier that is necessary for the proper biological response of cells to hormones and other extracellular signals. It is required for cell communication in the hypothalamus/pituitary gland axis and for the feedback control of hormones.

Benefits

-Inhibition of platelet activation and degranulation.
    - Inhibition of mast cell degranulation and release of histamine and other allergic compounds.
    - Increased force of contraction of the heart muscle.
    - Relaxation of the arteries and other smooth muscles, vasodilation.
    - Increased insulin secretion.
    - Increased thyroid function (and therefore metabolic rate).
    - Reduced adipose assimilation and increased lipolysis of fats.

[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I get it from Enzymatic Therapy. Mtn Rose Herbs doesn't stock it but I asked them about it and they will look into it. Regardless, with this herb I think the standardized extract from Enzymatic Therapy seems to be very good.
  3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I've been using this herb for almost a month now and I think it's really working for my thyroid. I had to go off my thyroid medication completely and my energy levels are even higher than before ... just taking one capsule a day.

Although I've been in remission for about 8 months now I'm still looking for new things to fell even better. It think this is one of them...at least it's working for me. I hope this can help someone else...

I'll keep updating over time.

I'm also taking other herbs mostly for adrenal and liver support - the usuals, licorice, ginseng, ginger, milk thistle, burdock etc...[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2007]
  5. pjsmonster

pjsmonster New Member

Thanks for posting and updating on this little known herb and how it is helping you
  6. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

I was happy to find this post...I ordered some to try. What dose are you on and how many times a day do you take it?? Thanks...Jackie
  7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I'm using just 50mg a day, standardized at 18% forskolin. I did start with two a day for the first week and then just 1...