Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

So, I'm in my freshman year of college. Overall, it's been easier than high school (no six-hour blocks of classes--yay!), but still challenging, though the most I've missed any one class is three times last semester (It was 30 days out of 90--one semester--in high school). I have work study at the on-campus vet clinic, which I love, but despite this, I'm still worried about what's going to happen after college.

I haven't had a job since I was 14, and for the past three years I've just been working on getting healthy again. There was one point where I was near remission, able to walk two miles a day, no problem, plus workouts every day, but I've relapsed several times since, and I haven't been able to get my strength back.

I have to work this summer, no question about it, because I'm going to have to start saving up for loans and tuition for next fall, but honestly I don't know how I'll do it. It's been enough time since I've worked that I pretty much have no experience, so because of that, the only places likely to hire me are places like walmart or grocery stores. I wonder, if I can't even manage to stay in school for six hours, how would I handle doing an 8 hour shift of nothing but standing? I don't think I could, and I don't know what to do, because I'm not willing to risk another relapse just so I can make money.

Are there places that will allow you to work short shifts? I work 2 hour shifts at the vet clinic right now, which is fine, though there have been a few days where I was so drained that I was hardly able to lift up a mop.

Anyone have any advice on working with FM/CFS?

2. panthere

panthere Member

Maybe do one of those phone operators for some company. You can probably work from home.