Colonic for Yeast Detox?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ask2266, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ask2266

ask2266 Member

Has anybody tried this? Does it hurt? Does it work?

I have one scheduled for tomorrow. What should I expect?
  2. ask2266

ask2266 Member

3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I did a series of 5 or 6 about two years ago and yes, I do think it helped. Cure it no, but helped.

I was having horrible muscle burning pain from the toxins released from the yeast and had suffered with it for a year and it completely went away after the very first colonic. So, I think it helped lighten my candida load some.

No, it does not hurt, maybe a little to the dignity.LOL After the first one I was more comfortable and didn't mind them at all.

Make sure to drink plenty of water between now and then because if you are not well hydrated sometimes it makes it a little difficult to release.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Deb
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've been to a couple of different places and read a good bit about this topic. This is what the experience is supposed to be like.

1. The key to the whole thing is the small plastic object that is inserted inside. It is (I'm guessing) maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter and an inch long. Small enough that it should go in quite easily even if you're tense. The colonics therapist obviously will be gentle at this part.

2. This little device extends outward and has two attachments for tubes. One tube is for the water to flow in. The other tube is for the waste and the water to flow out. The colonics therapist makes the adjustment at the appropriate time.

3. As you lie in a comfortable position (probably on your back), the colonics therapist will start the water inflow. The water temperature should be absolutely comfortable and not noticeable to you. Note that the water is also filtered as to be pure (they have a system for that that goes along with the machine).

4. The water should go in at a very comfortable pace. You should not feel any cramping or other unpleasant sensations. You should let the therapist know how you're doing and if you feel like it's going too fast or if you need time to get used to it.

5. Eventually, you will start to feel full. The goal is not to fill up with as much water as possible.....just enough so that you can tell that it's filling the entire colon (up through your whole abdomen). The therapist will have a rough idea of how much water is appropriate, but you need to give guidance with regard to when you feel like you're starting to get more full than is absolutely comfortable for you.

6. At this point, the water and waste will flow out through the other tube. Everything is kept in tubing and then into a system that flushes it away. None of the expelled water/waste is exposed to air. There is absolutely no smell or mess.

7. The therapist probably will massage your abdomen a bit, both during the inflow and outflow. This is to help the water to evenly fill the colon, and then to make sure that all of it is expelled.

8. After you recuperate a bit, the process will be repeated again. A usual session includes 3-4 fills. You may choose to have only three your first time, since it will be a new experience for you.

9. After the last fill is completed, the therapist will remove the insert from your body. Again, this should be a completely comfortable process (although slightly unusual in feeling for some people).

That's it!

Note that the insert and the tubing is all plastic and is used just once. This ensures that you do not risk catching anything.

An important thing to note is that (especially since this is your first colonic) you may feel somewhat weak afterwards. You're in good condition now (something like 85%), and so it shouldn't affect you as much as it would someone in worse condition. Still, it's possible that you might feel a little shaky on the way home. Be careful. (If you have someone who could drive you, that would be even better.)

My experience the first time I had a colonic was that I wanted to eat very lightly (just some plain soup) and then rest for the remainder of the day. It wore me out. However, the yeast herx was totally cured, and by the next day I was feeling quite good. Again, if a CFS sufferer were in poor condition, recuperation from the stressful experience might take a bit longer. You're in good enough shape that recuperation will probably be relatively fast.

I believe there are a couple of reasons why the first couple of colonics are more exhausting than subsequent ones. Even if a person doesn't have yeast, the colon is generally filled with a lot of toxins. During the first colonic, a whole lot of them get stirred up and removed. The amount of toxins removed later on is less. In addition, the fact that your body is experiencing a new sensation can throw it off balance a bit.

A lot of people experience hardly any weakness or fatigue even after their first colonic. It's important to know that it's normal if you do feel that way, however.

The only thing that I've ever heard of going "wrong" is something that happened to me the third time I got a colonic. On the way home, I started to feel quite nauseated. I didn't actually get sick, but I felt like I was close. This feeling continued for a couple of hours, then went away.

The next time I talked to the colonics therapist, she stated that my liver had "done a bile dump" shortly after the colonic was finished. (Supposedly when the coloni is clean, the rest of the body says "This is great" and uses it to move out more waste. This comment was in a pamphlet I read, anyway.)

The problem was that when the bile hit my empty colon, it caused feelings of nausea. The fact that I didn't eat anything because i felt sick caused the nausea to last longer.

If your colonics therapist is good, s/he should be able to massage the liver a bit during the colonic. Apparently it is possible to tell whether the liver does a bile dump during the colonic too, since the bile is bright yellow and can be seen through the tubing. If this happens during the colonic, it is less likely to happen (or maybe won't happen) immediately afterwards.

I always remind my therapist that I once had that problem so that she can attend to it more closely. It also could help to bring along something that is easily digested (I use soy milk) so that just in case it does happen, there's something in the colon for it to mix with. I never had a problem except that one time.

Even if this "bile dump" thing does happen, it's not dangerous and (for me) wasn't particularly exhausting after it was over. It's better to avoid it if possible.

I've not heard of anything else that can go wrong during a colonic. Obviously those people who have colon problems (colitis, IBS, etc.) need to investigate carefully. Other people should have no problems except for the possible weakness issue.

Granted, it's not great for CFS sufferers to do things that weaken their bodies if they're not in relatively good shape. For me though, getting rid of the yeast was such a godsend that feeling a little weak seemed like nothing.

I will keep an eye on this thread tonight in the event that you have other questions.

You've been herxing on the yeast so much and were in such good shape to begin with that once you get that stuff out, it seems likely that you'll be considerably closer to feeling really well. I will be very eager to hear your results.

Best, Lisa
  5. ask2266

ask2266 Member

Because I'm on heparin. I'm going to quit the heparin and go back next week for one. I'll keep you posted!
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Argh. Another week of yeast die-off for you at this point would be really annoying.

How much Vitamin C are you taking? My doctor's advice (in general and particularly in that situation) is to increase to as much as you can until everything gets very soft without turning to diarrhea.

If you did that, and drank lots of water, you then might get at least some of the yeast out even if it's not all of it immediately. Any sort of constipation at all makes herxing real hell, since the die-off just stays in there.

You might need a lot of vitamin C to get to this point though. It takes me at least 15,000 mg. I'd always used EmergenC in the past, but my doctor said that buffered Vitamin C would be okay too (since it's not as expensive). Working up slowly so as not to overdo it is imperative, of course.

There's been a lot on the board very recently about cream of tartar helping with yeast. I just got a couple of big bags in the mail that I have yet to try. It's supposed to kill yeast in itself, and then also to help the yeast move out.

This is just regular old cream of tartar, the kind that people put in egg whites to make them stiff for meringue. Little jars can be purchased in the spice section at the supermarket.

One or more teaspoons are often mentioned, but conceivably you could use a really small amount (1/4 of a teaspoon) at first to see what happened. Maybe that would get things moving too.

Another thing I keep reading about here that supposedly helps yeast herxing is the mineral molybdenum. I've never tried it for that purpose, though.

If you do a content search, you should be able to find out about the cream of tartar and molybdenum.....the posts would be in the past week or two.

So sorry about yesterday.

Best, Lisa