Colonics & Is our proper gut flora destroyed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 20, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I found an interesting site tonight, I had typed in google fibromyalgia freedom house seattle washington and I found an interesting site after a few pages of scanning that basically said all autoimmune disorders are caused directly from the destroying of healthy gut flora????

Any input on this??

What can we do to replace the correct gut flora???

I will research tomorrow in between getting eeg, emg & flipping dental appt.

Also, has anyone tried colonics?????

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I found an interesting site tonight, I had typed in google fibromyalgia freedom house seattle washington and I found an interesting site after a few pages of scanning that basically said all autoimmune disorders are caused directly from the destroying of healthy gut flora????

Any input on this??

What can we do to replace the correct gut flora???

I will research tomorrow in between getting eeg, emg & flipping dental appt.

Also, has anyone tried colonics?????

Jaci
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

My last Drs. Appt., when reveiwing a test I had currently undergone, he told me I had no healthy bacteria in my digestive system. My gut was over run with Candida. He has put me on Bifidobacteria & NCFM Acidophilus with Probio-Protein Factor. 1 Capsule 2 x's daily.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2002]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

They are one of the procedures that are giving all of natural medicine a bad name with doctors as a result. Those pictures you see in the adds of gooey, black gunk from "years of build-up in the colon" are B.S. If a person had that they would be dead. Also, you don't heal a system which normally works by moving from top to bottom, by forcing something up from the bottom and washing away all the good bacteria to boot. You can also become addicted to them and be unable to move your bowels without them if you overdo it. Far better to take a good Probiotic supplement as suggested above, and avoid feeding yeasts by swearing off sugars and starches. If you want to read more about the theory you mentioned, do a websearch for "leaky gut syndrome".
    Sincerely,
    Klutzo
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Does that mean that my stupid coffee enemas, 2nd day in a row now, my hubby loves helping me ;-} are a waste of my time????

I just took a handful of probiotics.

Accdg to my merch manual lactobacillus is what is needed, probiotics are chock full of them.

Has anyone had good results on these???

I did them intensively a while ago but have stopped.

That was 45,856 theories ago.

Jaci
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have heard coffee enemas touted by many for detoxing, but you can become dependent on enemas just as on colonics,and they really aren't necessary, in my opinion. You can use a detox tea once in awhile, if you like, or take betaine HCL to clean all toxins out of yuor system (this will also clean out any medications you are taking, so it is not for those on meds, esp. dependency producing ones). You can get betaine HCL in liquid form at a health food store. It is commonly used to detox alcoholics. Remember, your colon is a sewer pipe and is not meant to be immaculate. I think eating lots of roughage, avoiding chemical and fake foods, and taking Probiotics and digestive enzymes will fix you up much more naturally and gently.
    Klutzo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We lose our "friendly" bacteria as we age in our guts. This can cause Leaky Gut Syndrome and food allergies. This is a serious condition. I would stay away from colonics, but a good herbal cleanse is OK. This site has probiotics. Keep them refrigerated at home.

I take antibiotics and have for a year. I have no stomach problems, in fact, the antibiotics did away with my IBS. I have always used probiotics and consider them an essential.

Just one question: Do you take sugar and cream with the coffee enemas :)

Love, Mikie
  8. roro

roro New Member

I have improved my IBS problems by using probiotics and following a low carb diet. When i ingest sugar or starches, i usually immediately get diarhea. Just shows me they are not right for my body now.
  9. HangingOn02

HangingOn02 New Member

Im currently being treated for a lack of healthy bacteria from over use of anti biotics, anti inflamatories and such. Apparently the candida albacan sp.(yeast) takes over and kils all the good flora/bacteria in your body,,,I read that 90% of people with Chronic Fat. have this yeast problem. The site I went to was Lycos and looked up yeast,,it took me to these other sites about candida, chronic fat. leaky guy synd..etc...Good luck Chris
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I will offer you my 2 cents worth (that's Canadian money so it's really only 1 cent U.S.!)

We all need probiotics. I notice a real difference when I stop. I think with this illness and all the leaky gut stuff that we need digestive enzymes too. I have tried many kinds and finally last week I tried one that has made a huge difference in my bowels. We probably are all deficient in enzymes but possibly not the same ones. I think I've found the one for me.

I went for colonics every week for many months. After the first treatment I felt wonderful! That lasted about a day. After every other treatment I felt nothing. I tried another therapist who did colonics and insisted on 3 times a week. I felt very ill after every treatment that she did. I did that for a few months and then gave up.

However, I do know of one CFS patient who has been ill for almost 20 yrs who received incredible relief 15 yrs ago by going for weekly colonics. As someone else on this thread mentioned, she did become dependent upon them for regular bowel movements and still goes at least once a week.

My chiropractor's sister became ill at the same time I did 10 yrs ago and became much better by using the coffee enemas. I tried it and felt no better.

Bottom line is they didn't work for me but have helped others. Good luck with yours. Pepper
  11. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I know I always feel better when I follow a diet that helps reduce candida. Candida crowds out the good bacteria. If you want to increase your intestinal flora you must reduce the candida and take acidophilus supplements or yogurt etc. to replace the good bacteria that antibotics and candida have destroyed.
    P.S. You will feel worse before you feel better on an anticandida diet because as the candida die off they produce toxins which don't make you feel very good. You do get better, but it may take awhile before you start to feel really good.
    I've read theories that say autoimmune diseases and poor intestinal flora might be related. Yeast can punch holes in cell walls which some people claim allows entry of toxins and other substances. The cells then produce antibodies to these substances. Perhaps in the case of candida overgrowth their sheer number overpowers and overtaxes our immune system, in a sense blocking and stopping up the filtering process of germs, yeast and toxins so our immune system doesn't get rid of these nasties as well as it should and we suffer the consequences.

sugar and cream---lol mikie
  12. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

and for quite awhile they were the ONLY things getting me going! After my first colonic, I walked out of that place feeling so calm and relaxed, with a smile on my face and a completely changed demeanor.

I had a horrible level of bifidobacterium, but through supplementation, that level has normalized, all the while getting regular colonics. Any good colon therapist will tell you to replace the good bacteria while doing colonics.

I don't get them nearly as often as I used to get them (used to get 2 a week). Now, I try to get one once a month, just for the heck of it lol. No, really, my body goes on its own so much better now that I no longer suffer with IBS. I also take lots of herbs which help my colon, but in the beginning these herbs just weren't enough. (I have also had a few coffee enemas, and while they are effective, I would choose a colonic over one of those anyday!)

Hope this helps,
    Annette