Colonoscopy on Monday! Did it cause a FLARE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Aug 6, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Now doesn't that sound like fun? I have never had one before, but I have had the one they do in the doctor's office...a sygmoidoscopy? sp? I hated that, but everyone tells me that the colon. is so much easier because they dope you up. I hope so. I hope it stops all my pain for a brief period. That would be so nice.

Have any of you had trouble with flares after having this procedure? It is supposed to be simple, no problem, but I've never talked to anyone with FM who had one done.

I hope I hear it's no problem, but am wanting to hear what you have to say.

The worst part is getting ready for it...tomorrow and Monday morning are going to be awful. I can have coffee, though, but no cream. I love cream in my coffee, but can do without if it means I get to drink it!

Thanks for your responses.
    Sue
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I totally agree with Nancy...

The prep part is the hardest, just get yourself good novels &/or magazines and just figure you'll be a bathroom dweller for a while!

But the procedure is a piece of cake! And I have an adverse reaction to Valium or Versed IVs (the tranquilizing drugs) so I had an IV with just Demerol for pain---usually a person is given a "cocktail" IV of both a tranquilizer AND a painkiller, which is more sedating. But even with just the Demerol, I did fine, and while I was awake, I was very woozy. The procedure actually takes about 15-20 minutes, but your sense of time makes it seem like about 5 minutes! So before I knew it, the doctor was saying "All done! Everything looks fine".

I actually should get myself in for another, it's about time....good luck, take the time to go home and rest afterward, and you should be fine!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. jake123

jake123 New Member

Oh! Asatrump I hope you let them know what a bad experience you had. I had Fentanyl and Versed and I didn't
    hurt for three days. After a nap I was so perky I walked all over two antique malls. I griped at my husband because he was tired - he had to get up early to take me.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am now actually looking forward to it! NO PAIN...who cares about not eating for a day or sitting on the potty...just to be out and not have any pain for an extended time (and I'm not thinking days...just a day would be wonderful) is too glorious to contemplate.

Now I can start the countdown...Monday morning I go to the hospital at 9 and the procedure's at 11...hummm...that means 40 hours until I don't hurt! Oh the blessed thought!

(-:

Thanks, Friends.
    Sue
  5. paige51

paige51 New Member

i have had two colonoscopies. the preparation is the hardest part. with the first one i had to drink the gallon solution, the second one i was given the pills to take.

it is simple and over in no time . the best rest you will ever get.

they will probably tell you to eat whatever you want, but, go light at first. you should not have any complications unless they find something and take care of it while they are in there.

you will do just fine.

paige51
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

In a way, the prep of cleaning out your colon actually makes you feel better I think.

I agree, the prep is not pleasant, but not that bad. Also, it is such a peace of mind to know everything is ok.

One suggestion, if you are having any problems with your digestion you might ask to also have a endoscopy at the same time while you are out.

My doctor did one and discovered I have gastric reflux and Barretts Esophagus. I had no idea I had those conditions and started meds after finding out. I feel much better now.
  7. Eva2005

Eva2005 New Member

I let them know before the procedure that I would prefer to watch the monitor. I had watched most of my heart cath. Last year on July 8th I had to have one done. I wanted to watch what was there and hear what was said in the room. After Anatomy and Physiology you get that way I guess. I just had my first colonoscopy done this year and was nervous but found as everyone else that the prep was the most uncomfortable thing of the procedure. I was shocked to see the appendix. Well not going to get gross but I was happy to know that everything looked good to him. My mother had colorectal cancer. Family has to have these repeated every other year. I had been putting mine off till the last minute. I hope that you do not have any problems with the tests.....Eva
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Despite medication to stop the nausea. I also could not expel the gas after the last one. I finally did when I got home. I was tired for a few days following the procedure and it took some time to get back to my usual regular bowel habits.

It's such an important test that I will continue to have it done. The one three years ago turned up five large polyps and several were precancerous. It's well worth any discomfort afterward.

The prep and the procedure itself was not that bad. I was out for the procedure.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  9. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

I wish that whatever they use on you in that procedure could be used every night. I came home and had the best, best sleep I ever remember having and I did not hurt at all for days.

I wonder if that is because of the meds that are still in your system or because you get such a good sleep. If it is the sleep, I will do anything to try and get that kind of sleep again!

And, like the others I don't remember any of the procedure. Tell them you don't want to feel anything. My friend had it done and she remembers and could feel it. I told them--don't let me feel a thing.

Best, Nancy
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I don't want to watch, I don't want to talk, I don't want to have any part except to lie on my side and let them do their thing.

I'm not really worried about the outcome as there is no family history of this cancer, and as I don't have stomach problems (just constipation if I don't eat enough bran, etc), but I do have diverticulae...the pockets in the colon that can become infected which I think mine did in January but not since. (Now that was a rambling and if I look at it too long, I'll change it so I'm moving on.)

At least I have coffee this AM even though I had to forgo cream. And, I can have my Gatorade which is lifesaving. So, tonight the purging begins...not too concerned. All I want now is the feeling of no pain. I know the times I've had surgeries, the antastesia (can't spell that today...wonder if I can at all?) has stayed with me for days. That is hopeful.

Thanks for the good wishes and the good reports...and thanks for not describing the appendix...gag.

Sue