Colonoscopy Prep/Med Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Aug 13, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Well, tomorrow is the big day and of course, I haven't slept for 2 nights (less than usual that is), and have a screaming headache.

Anyways, I cannot cancel this time...uh, no I can't...

The dr office said I could have my effexor in the morning with Ensure or Boost, but I'm concerned still about nausea. I should have asked her if that meant I could have some today too.

Anyone else on meds at time of the procedure and/or have Ensure the day before and how did you handle it.

Thanks a bunch
    Sue in Ontario
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I took all my meds both the day before and the morning of the procedure. I think I just had one in the morning. I didn't have the nausea problem so I took mine with water.
    I don't think a swallow of Ensure today will make much difference. The prep should take care of it!!

This gives me a chance to wish you well. It will be over before you know it! Really, it's not that bad.

Kathy.
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hello Sue,

Just wanted to let you know that I have no information for you but that I am supposed to have a colonoscopy, actually about 2-3 weeks ago, but haven't had it yet. The Drs. office left it up to me to go and have it scheduled, good for me/bad for me.

I know I need to go on and wanted to wish you luck. I posted something about one and received some very good information about it-it's somewhere in my posts on profile if you wish to look it up.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you after the procedure; with good news about the procedure and really good news of the results.

BlueSky555
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I was able to take all meds up to the morning of the exam with a small bit of water. I'm trying to remember about food............ Ah yes. I didn't eat and it didn't bother me because of the electrolites in the "cleanser" for lack of the right word.

You'll do fine. By this time tomorrow it will be over and behind you. No pun intended. ;>)

Will Rogers said something I always think of at times like this. It goes something like: "I've had many hard times in my life and some of them actually happened."

Marta

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Just want to wish you well for the procedure tomorrow.
    I didn't have the complete "works" as they did the Sigmod.
    thing on me which is not as complete. However, they didn't
    put me "out" for it as it was not necessary for the proce-
    dure done on me. Believe they will for you much like they
    did for our Brave and Courageous President. I fealt relief
    to know that Dick Cheney was only a "heart beat away"
    Suggest that your mark the square REPUPLICAN on the con-
    sent form!! Not a big deal.

Luckily for me, the Technician was the same guy who the
    morning of the Thankgiving Day parade, inflates all the
    ballons. Let us know latter how right we all were!!

MRDAD
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I forgot what prep are you using? I am having my colonoscopy this coming Thursday. I am really leary about it, since I've been very ill with effexor withdrawl this whole past week and weekend.
    I am going to be doing to pico-salax prep. I sure hope it all goes well for you. Hope you will not have any more nausea then you are used too. Do you have nausea with the effexor when you take it without food? I never did.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Raz
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

You know, you are really helping me a lot to go through with it this time.

With my family history, I realized I just couldn't face my kids if I got sick from something totally preventable; so that keeps me motivated.

I took my afternoon pill with mouthful of boost and didn't get nausea so I'll do so in the morning too. Just took the first mug of pico-salax about an hour ago. GAG!!

Appointment is tomorrow 12:45 and I'll let you know how it goes. I think I would feel better if I wasn't going alone, taking a cab there and daughter is meeting me after.

Sure helps to have you guys to talk (and whine!) to.

Raz; I took 3 dulcalax this morning and 1 mug of pico salax at while ago and take another mug this evening. Tastes yucky, but not as bad as the old fashioned prep from what I gather.

I've been reading about your struggle and I hope you are better soon and can get the procedure done.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2006]
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

hope everything goes well for you my step father would still be alive today had he gone with my mom like she asked. he passed away last oct from colon cancer. then i made my hubby go right after that he was 40 at that time and the dr said had he waited until 50 like your supposed to he would probably have cancerby then they had found a large polyp. god bless charlene
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You know, it will all be over before you know it. Let us know how it goes for you, we'll be thinking of you!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

It was not bad at all.
    the only hard thing is the prep, drinking the solution to clean you out... I had to drink a gallon of solution to cleanse it..
    the day I had it, they gave me a shot of demerol and knocked me out, and that was it..
    I have a high tolerance to narcotics I guess,
    cuz I woke up during the procedure,
    and I got to see my colon on screen!!!
    and the doc got nervous and said"turn around"
    dont look...
    but I kept looking it was cool!!!
    so I felt the scope being removed from me, and you know It DID NOT HURT...
    as long as you relax down there!!!
    then you recover in a bed for an hour or so after the meds wear off...
    but its easy.
    and its rare to wake up during the procedure, but at that time I was on oxycontin 2x a day w/breakthru meds...
    youll be fine...
    Blessings,
    Iggy
  11. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I too had my colonoscopy two years ago. And the drinking of a gallon of the electrolyte was the worse part. The colonoscopy I have little memory of. I just remember them saying OK we are injecting the demerol into your vein now. Next thing I remember was waking up in the little recovery area. Didn't have any pain.
    Good Luck to you.
  12. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

did your dr recommend the dulcolax or did you decide to add that on your own? What did you eat/drink before the prep?

I have been doing much better this even, susan, and thanks so much for caring!

Raz
  13. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I promise you that the worrying and anxiety you are having about this test is worse than the colonoscopy. I've had a couple of them and they are not as bad as we hear they are. Before you know it, it will be over and done with.
    Best wishes and good luck to you,
    Arlene
  14. razorqueen

razorqueen Member