Colonoscopy Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am having a colonoscopy on Friday, of course I'm soooo nervous with my anxiety and all (the imp in me wants to say scared sh**tless), more so of not being able to eat and getting dizzy. I have to take the dulcolax tablets and 2 sachet of picolax.

So what is the deal, should I expect to be up all night sitting on the john, and what are the best fluids to take. My procedure isn't until 2:00 p.m. and I want to stay hydrated.

Appreciate any advice.

Great Quote "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all".

Sue In Ontario
  2. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

but didn't have a hard time at all. Mine was at 7am so I did it the afternoon before, and was not up at all at night. I was scared about the procedure too, but don't remember a thing.. not even picking up the kids or coming home afterward.
  3. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Hi,
    The prep is always worse than the procedure. I am not acquainted with that particular prep but you can have CLEAR LIQUIDS up until your physician says you must stop liquids. Do not drink anything grape or red since some times some residue could show up in the bowel making it difficult to visulize. The most important part is that you are cleaned out so do follow the instructions. Clear liquids would be chicken or beef broth(nothing in it), apple, white grape juice, gingerale, popsicles and jello(not grape or red). You can also such on clear lollipops, such as dum-dums(but not red or purple). You will be sedated with an IV med that causes temporary amnesia during the procedure so you won't remember it so it is not uncomfortable. Some people may experience mild cramping or gas after but most don't and I never did. My son was only 12 when he needed a c-scope and had no problems.(spent time in the bathroom during the prep).Good-luck, and I'm sure that you will have no problems but the most important part is that you're colon is thoroughly clean-when you are finished with your prep you should be able to see to the bottom of the toilet and it should be clear or sometimes slightly yellow but no formed stool in it. Hope that this helps.
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks. Your responses have eased my mind TREMENDOUSLY.

Will let you know how it goes.

Sue in Ontario
  5. mariee

mariee Member

Hi
    I sure understand your hesitation.
    I had to clean out before my hysterectomy, and it was a major clean!!!
    So I fixed up my bathroom, put a pretty candle in..., made sure it was warm, stacked some fun mags, put in a TV (since I was in for a few hours). Put on comfy pj.s etc.
    Had my meds and liquids in place.
    Since my ds and dil and their baby were living w. me, I told them the day before the b-room would be offlimits fr. 6 pm on. I made a cute sign and hung it on the door at 5 to remind them...IT WAS NEEDED!!! HMMMMMMM
    All this made the whole procedure a calmer event...including the hysterectomy...I continued pampering myself after.
    BTW, be careful of food. My son decided to order pizza, and when I was done I almost ate a piece.
    Hope this helps
    Good luck sweetie. The anticipation of the unknown is worse than the actual event....
    Mariee
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

What a great idea!

That is just what I am going to do!

Sue In Ontario
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the procedure. He said it was "not unpleasant. They gave me drugs, and I was whoozy the whole time."
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Sue,
    I took the Pico Salax too and it wasn't that bad. I drank apple juice, broth and water. They gave me Demerol during the procedure and I had no pain for several days. I thought I had found the cure for Fibro!!

My sister had hers at the same clinic and she walked home, about 5 miles, after hers was over!!! We all thought she was crazy, clearly under the influence!! However, the point being that you should be fine. Don't worry too much.

Kathy.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Like everyone said,..I agree, the procedure is nothing compared to that 'clean out' stuff!!
    I had the gallon jug of some orangie flavored drink?
    By the time I got half way thru the gallon I was "going and going and going!
    I gotta say the first 2 or 3 glasses of the stuff was;nt that bad~ but by the 4th or 5th drink it becomes the most nastiest tastin stuff!! made me ill.
    I acually called the morning of my procedure and told them that I could'nt drink the last 2 or 3 cups cause I'd vomit!!
    They just said they'd see if I had drank enough I'd be clean enough. It worked! :)
    The acual scope was'nt nothing! I was in La La land for sure!
    Best of luck~
  10. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Hi, I just wanted to tell you of my experience. I had a full colonoscopy and endoscopy a few months ago. My new doctor (at that time) prescribed miralax with the ducolax. I could not keep any of it down, so after calling the doctor to okay it, I took 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate and was able to keep it down. It did do the job. It and Milk of Magnesia is the only things that work for me. When the doctor told me he wanted to do a colonoscopy, I said I would only if I would be out the whole time. He said yes, he would make sure that I was out for the whole procedure. The encoscopy went fine, I was out the whole time for it, but they did not give me enough sleep medicine and I woke up during the colonoscopy. The pain was excruciating. I was only up for about 2 minutes, but it was horrible. Anyway, the doctor said mine was so bad because I have a "torturous" (spelling?) colon. I have many more loops and turns than I should have.

Afterwards, I found out from a friend that her mother always tells them that she weighs more than she does so they will be sure to give her enough medicine to keep her knocked out. I wish I would have known this before mine, I would have done the same thing.