colonoscopy

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Sunrise, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Hi all
    Has anyone had the experience of a colonscopy?

I get one in 2 days really nervous.

Any info would be appriecaited.

Hugs Sunrise
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

OOPS!

My answer didn't post. I have had a colonscopy and the worst part was drinking the yucky stuff the nite before!!!!

You go to sleep and its very fast. If you have fibro just be careful of dosages and tell them.

Good Luck!
  3. clubq

clubq New Member

Hi, I have at at least 4 colonoscopies now and every one has been just fine.
    The stuff you have to drink before the procedure is the worst part! But now you can get pills that you take instead of the nasty stuff you drink. I think it probably will be what your doctor recommends though.
    During the procedure you will be asleep so you will not feel anything. You may be partly awake but no pain. I guess I am easy to put to sleep since I never knew what happened -just woke up in recovery.
    Dont be nervous-every thing will be fine-you will see!
  4. quanked

quanked Member

Years ago I sort of had one--was not completed. I had to give myself and enema. Is this still true?
  5. halfinhalfout

halfinhalfout New Member

You will take the pills hopefully. I suggest buying a package of baby wipes because your bottom will get sore. The colonoscopy part you will not even remember. Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2008]
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I will get a virtual one when the time comes or none at all. they are available and the research says just as effective, they just arent the standard yet so not always offered. people, we need to ask for what we want or it takes like 15 years.
    good luck either way!
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

The drink gagged me and I had to take it twice.....I am glad it is not done for another 5 years. I did dehydrtate a little and had sweats, chills and trembling and then was ok.
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I had one last summer, after not showing up for 2 appointments!

It was not bad at all! I actually had the best sleep ever afterwards, and I felt amazingly better for a week or so afterward. Don't know if it was the good sleep or what.

Good Luck

My mother had colon cancer at an early age and this is the best prevention.

Sue in Ontario
  9. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'm trying to arrange my first colonoscopy for sometime in November. Do you feel well enough afterwards to take the person who came with you and drove your car afterwards out to lunch OR to pick up lunch and eat lunch with them at the park or at your home??
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Well, I don't know about going out for lunch, but picking it up and eating at home might be ok. Keep it light to give your system time to adjust.

My daughter picked us up some food on the way home, but wwe didn't get to eat together, as I kept dozing off.

Sue in Ontario
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I didn't follow the nurses instructions and ate pancakes and some bacon after the test, as my husband wanted to eat a big breakfast. Was I sorry!

The nurse said to not eat any fat aterward and I did. I got nauseous.
  12. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I had a reaction to the pills they gave me and it was horrible but I lived. My colonscopy did not turn out well and I have to go do it again in six months. So they are very important to get. After the horrible reaction to the pills I actually felt better for a few days afterwords and I think it was due to the cleansing. The actual colonscopy is not bad as I don't even remember that the worst part was the pills and the prep but most people do not have that reaction. Another bad part for me was the GOOD LOOKING young dr on the other end of the scope. I would of much prefered a ugly old geezer looking up my rear.