Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Sep 18, 2002.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

It's me again Crickett. Thanks for all your support and well wishes. My doctor was apparently the only one on staff that did not premedicate ( I wish that I had known that before hand) He gave me the Versed (one of the feel good drugs) normally a person wouldn't be in too much pain and is unaware of whats going on or doesn't care or remember. I guess the poor girl can't any more pain any more.
    He had suggsted that he suspected problems further on in the colon and wants to do the lower GI before doing a complete colonoscopy with possible anesthesia help. The thought of having to do the PREP 2 more times. I don't think I can handle it. Years ago I had a bad experience with a lower GI. Lots of bleeding, techs yelling at me and hemmoroids so swollen that the tube wouldn't stay in.I have done some research on my own regarding CT Colonography, but statistics show that the findings on CT Colonography isn't as accurate as a lower GI. So if I go that route I would still have to do both. So I am going to try and convince him that I want to repeat the Colonoscopy, with anesthesia!!
  2. crickett

crickett New Member

It's me again Crickett. Thanks for all your support and well wishes. My doctor was apparently the only one on staff that did not premedicate ( I wish that I had known that before hand) He gave me the Versed (one of the feel good drugs) normally a person wouldn't be in too much pain and is unaware of whats going on or doesn't care or remember. I guess the poor girl can't any more pain any more.
    He had suggsted that he suspected problems further on in the colon and wants to do the lower GI before doing a complete colonoscopy with possible anesthesia help. The thought of having to do the PREP 2 more times. I don't think I can handle it. Years ago I had a bad experience with a lower GI. Lots of bleeding, techs yelling at me and hemmoroids so swollen that the tube wouldn't stay in.I have done some research on my own regarding CT Colonography, but statistics show that the findings on CT Colonography isn't as accurate as a lower GI. So if I go that route I would still have to do both. So I am going to try and convince him that I want to repeat the Colonoscopy, with anesthesia!!
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Crickett, judas priest! They need to figure out that Fibro people are more intolerant to pain, duh. You also don't need the lower GI, tell them no. I've been through all of it. The colonoscopy was a breeze, I was out cold. Only woke up when they blew CO2 into the upper intestine. That hurt. But not for long. If he does a colonoscopy there's no need for the lower GI. Even my rinky dink town has a hospital and doctors that know about pain. Wish you luck, N
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Good luck and take care of your self, Kim and Gary
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Crickett,
    I can't believe that you're doc is making you go through so much. I hope you can find something out from all of that prepping. That is tough to do. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. ((((Hugs)))) dolsgirl
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go for the colonoscopy with anesthesia. Geez, I didn't feel a thing; I was out cold. What the hell is the matter with these docs. Can't you find another practice who is knowledgeable about us?

My doc knocks everybody out. It can be painful when the tube turns corners even on "normal" people. The anesthesia is very short acting with no residual groggyness. My 92 year old Mother went out for breakfast after hers.

The colonoscopy is the only way for the doc to get up close and personal with polyps and diverticuli and get a good look. If tissue needs to be removed he can do it right through the tube. One procedure, one prep. If your doc doesn't use the Fleet saline prep, go to the drugstore and get it and use it instead of what he gives you. It's one small glass of very salty water and that's it. You repeat this once more before the procedure the night before or very early the morning of the procedure depending on what time the procedure is to be done. No icky sweet citrus drinks, nothing but lots of water. It works fast and it works well. Sometimes just getting really well cleaned out helps with a lot of our symptoms. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. PAT

PAT New Member

I would love to do a colonocsopy on a couple of MY past docs!! I have had several colonoscopies throughout the years, have had a lot of polyps. The first one, the doc just gave me a little IV valium, and boy, did he regret it!!! I, unknowingly fought, kicked and hit through the whole procedure! The next time I had one done, he PUT ME OUT! Ever since, they have been a breeze! I wake up going, "When are we gonna start?" Also, I wanted to say that I NEVER use the golightly crap. I go to Walmart and get a bottle of Citrate of Magnesium. It's like a tangy sprite, it's an 8oz bottle, instead of the huge 1 ton jug the docs make you drink, and it works JUST as well! Patti G
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

One small glass of salty water??? I was told to mix the bottle of Fleets into 16 ounces of water, and then follow with at least 5 more 8 ounce glasses of water! I am glad this was so easy for you. You must not be hypoglycemic or have rapid transit of the bowel like I do. Sometimes I almost pass out just from regular peristalsis, and this was unbearable. I had never had a laxative before in my life. I would have put up with the shaking and the freezing chills (even though it is dangerous an can even lead to death from insulin shock) and the painful cramps that went on all day and all night if only my blood pressure and pulse hadn't soared into the stroke range, and the headache! OMG! I am just now getting back to normal 4 days later.
    On the other hand, I have heard people complain about the horror of spinal taps, and I've had two of them with no problem at all. I even had a D & C once without anesthesia!So, we are all different. I envy you, because I know how important this test is.
    Klutzo
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Once again, I guess I haven't made myself very clear. It's just one little glass (mine said 8 oz.) of salty drink. I did mention that after that it's just lots of water. What I was getting at is that with this prep, after the initial salty glass of water, you can choose your liquids: Water, non-red fruit juice, clear sodas, etc. In addition to lots of water, I had broth and some jello. I kept the fruit juice and jello to almost nothing. I prefered water. I had some 7-Up but didn't want the sugar. The broth made me feel as though I had something more substantial like protein.

Some preps require drinking a gallon of some really nasty-tasting stuff. Remember Katie Curic gaggin that stuff down?

I am hypoglycemic and, by the standards put forth in the book, insulin resistant. I was very sick by the time I went in for the procedure and I had the dry heaves afterward. I believe this was because I scheduled it in the afternoon and went so long without food. Next time, I'll do it first thing in the morning.

I was so sick, in fact, that I was looking forward to being knocked out. People who are hypoglycemic react differently and at different intensities, just like diabetics do. I'm sorry that your experience was so awful. Mine wasn't any bed of roses, but again, the procedure itself was a cakewalk. Next time, it'll be even easier.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]