Colonscopy Yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just wanted to encourage everyone to be sure to get this test after age 50, or earlier if there is a family history of colon cancer. I've been getting them since my 40's. Yes, the cleanse isn''t pleasant but it's far better than it used to be, no longer harsh. I had a benign polyp removed. I am a bit tired today but doing fine.

Years ago, several pre-cancerous polyps were removed, along with some benign ones. Had I not been getting this test done when recommended, I would likely be dead or have full-blown colon cancer today. Colon cancer is almost always preventable and is very slow growing. This test is nothing to fear.

Love, Mikie
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Good advice, Mikie! I had one done a few years ago and will continue to get them in the future. My sister had a pre-cancerous polyp found, so, therefore, the rest of us sibs need to be checked on a regular basis as polyps tend to run in families.

I was lucky that the prep didn't bother me at all, whereas my mom and sister get really sick from the "Fleet".

Take care.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

May use different preps but from talking to friends, docs seem to be using a combo of Ducolax and Miralax (polyethylene glycol). The Miralax is a powder which can be mixed into any clear drinks except those with green, red or purple coloring in them. They recommend Gatorade but I can't drink it. I mixed mine with flat diet 7-Up and chilled it. Once I got down all 64 oz., I started drinking Smart Water until bedtime. It contains electrolytes and kept me from getting dehydrated.

The old stuff was a high-salt liquid which tasted horrible. The Miralax had no taste. I had no cramping nor pain during the prep. I was asleep for the procedure and have never had pain after polyp removal. I woke feeling fine. I have to have the anti-nausea in my IV. No one knows why a few people experience nausea as nothing in the anesthesia causes it. The nurse anesthetist thinks that before, I got dehydrated because I didn't have the electrolytes in the Gatorade and that made me nauseated. So, this time I drank a lot of the Smart Water, which has no taste.

All in all, this has occupied four days of my time and energy. They start you on the Ducolax two days prior to the procedure in the evening. The day before, you do the prep and get no solid food. Then there's the day of the procedure and, for me, another day of rest just because I have FMS and CFIDS/ME. I think it takes us longer to recouperate from things like this. I've also been eating light yesterday and today.

Love, Mikie
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I don't usually eat cake unless it is a holiday. So two days before I 'got' to eat all the cake
    I wanted. Boy, that took my mind off the proceedure.

Then, for at least the day before and maybe too, eat fish, scrambled eggs, things that
    digest easily too. (With your cake. haha)

If you have the salty stuff to drink, buy some banana flavored popcycles. Suck on the
    popcycle a bit before you take a big gulp of the stuff and it goes down fast and there
    is a sweet taste left from the popcycle in your mouth.

Oh, dear, I just read Mikie's post about the 4 days of time and energy. Ok, then do whatever
    your doc says. However my doc said to take the last drink at 5 am and be there at 8am.
    Did I think THAT was going to work. NO. So I took the last drink at 11pm. And it worked!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We just have to do things our own way. I say whatever works and makes the prep go down easier is what we should do. If I had a doc who wanted me to do the salty stuff, I'd ask if I could use the Ducolax and Miralax instead--just as effective an much less harsh. It just has to be started the evening two days before the pocedure. It really doesn't kick in until the morning before, the prep day. It kinda gives one a head start.

Love, Mikie
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The only pain for me after the colonoscopy was any air that was trapped inside. Sitting wasn't so comfortable, however, walking felt good and helped to force the air out. It only lasted for maybe an hour; it wasn't for very long.

The actual colonoscopy didn't hurt and I didn't have any sedative when I had it done. Because I didn't have any symptoms and was just having a check done, the doctor didn't feel that anything was necessary.

Try using something like "Fleet" for the prep. You take it the morning before, and again the morning of the colonoscopy. If you mix it with gingerale, it really cuts the salty taste and is pretty easy to get down.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Has no taste at all. You still have to mix it in 64 oz. of fluid, like Gatorade, but it's not salty like the old stuff. I can't tolerate Gatorade so use flat diet 7-Up. Then, I drank Smart Water to replace the elctrolytes.

Love, Mikie