Colored My Hair Today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 23, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know what it is about coloring my hair which brightens my outlook so. I have just enough gray to make me look washed out unless I keep it colored.

I am seldom bored but I guess I am this weekend. I am slowly coming out of a flare so I don't have a lot of energy or patience. There is nothing on TV and I don't feel like doing anything. Whine, whine, whine!

I live alone and don't get lonely. My kids don't live nearby but that's OK. We are close in spirit and love. I have felt something is missing from my life and I've been restless of late. I know these feelings usually come before I have some kind of epiphany. I have taken up painting but haven't been up to doing it lately.

It's strange because several people at the store, customers, have mentioned to me that they feel "lost." One was an older woman and one was a man a bit younger than I. It's as though there is some kind of ennui going around. Anyone else?

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My condo has been a mess for a while now, ever since this flare got me down. I do a little here and there to try to keep it just above the "squalor" line :) I have learned not to let it bother me that my place is a mess when I'm not feeling well. It'll get done eventually. Getting rid of unrealistic expectations has been one of the most helpful things I've learned from my illnesses.

I do keep things really well organized where it counts. I put things away so I'm not having to look all over for them.

In some ways, I'm lucky in that I've done just about everything I ever wanted to do. On the downside, there isn't much left to excite me any more. I get joy out of the everyday things and I live a life of gratitude but I still feel an empty place inside. Guess I'll have to figure out what to fill it with.

I'm wanting to start a new painting but my body isn't ready to do it yet. When I'm run down, I'm clumsy and lose my temper easily if I drop things or hurt myself. It's better to wait.

I'm reading a couple of books to keep my mind off everything. I do know I could stand to do more meditating. Perhaps the answer will come then.

Hope you figure out what it is you want.

Love, Mikie
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Maybe we just try and do too much at this time of year. I am in a bad pain flare at the moment, but there again I've been overworking.

The thing is that if we were all rich and could be idle more often, maybe we would not be in pain?

I think the feeling of being "lost" is because life seems so fast paced, all the technology, and the huge generation gap these days. It is far wider than it used to be, and I do think people have lost reverence for the elderly (re your customer).

Glad the hair rinse helped.

Love Annie
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I have a feeling I know just what you're talking about.

You've been busy being well, working and back out enjoying life, then along comes this flare of yours.

It's funny, I deal with everything I have to deal with, carve out a happy little life, then forget that my body is capable of actually making me feel worse!

It happened, small flare then the quad injury, now I'm stuck here watching tv with nothing on, bored silly and not a thing I can do about it.

Although I've always loved playing free online poker, now it's the only thing I can do all day and I just find myself bored and whining.

Hubby and I are talking about my first possible outing in 3 weeks today and I'm afraid I'm going to feel silly shopping in a motorized cart. I'm afraid I'll bump all the displays over, yuck!

I too need a haircut and highlights, anything to lift my spirits would help right now....

PS. Now if someone would just post who isn't in the doldrums and give us all an idea to get out of here, it would be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

been in a long flair myself, thought I was coming out of it but no it grabbed hold of me again.

This and the long winter, a few sunny days but nothing to speak of - the world stage, nothing happy there.

Sound depressed but I'm not, but I understand the doldrums.

Also Mikie, you've been working, getting out and about and having a life so it hits extra hard when another flair comes along.

As for housework, well, Quentin Crisp once said that if you let the dust lie, it doesn't get any worse, he didn't dust his New York apartment for years. I dont believe for one minute that it doesnt get any

I hope your epiphany comes soon and your flair goes.

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

You should definitely try out the motorized cart and go to the store.....I've done it, when I had foot surgery. You get over the self-conscious feelings pretty quickly and just have fun.

Reread your post, Nancy....the part about "watching TV without anything on" made me chuckle. Do you really watch in the buff?

Mikie and all- I hope you have some fun today, whatever it may be!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Annie, yes, when I'm idle, I do feel better physically but I think that's when the doldrums hit me. I'm not depressed, just restless. I've been idle because there has been some pain with this flare, but it's getting better. Yesterday, I decided to do gentle exercises for my lower back. Wellllllll, enough of that! I guess when we're flaring, we should just do nothing. There was a segment on TV about how we are being bombarded with technology and it's overwhelming us. Hope your flare gets better. Try not to overdo it.

Nancy Mystic, I'm laughing about boring the cats and dogs. I don't know whether I'd even call what I'm experiencing boredom. I can still get interested in something interesting but there isn't much I find interesting these days. I did sketch out the next painting. Right now, I'm more or less copying themes I see on TV in paintings until my techniques are good enough that I can concentrate more on my own creativity. Thanks for the revitalizing new spirit wish. I wish the same for you and an end to the doldrums.

Nancy Hugs, when I was a bagger at the store, I had to go out with shoppers who used the electric carts and drive them back into the store and park them. It was the highlight of my day! I got really good at parking them. Another bagger and I actually raced them once (I won). When I had my knee done, the first outing, I had to use an electric cart. I decided to go to Target because I could get my groceries and other things I needed. Well, that must have been the slowest cart in the world. Thought I'd die before I got out of there. I actually walked out of the store on my newly operated-on knee because I couldn't take it any more. Don't worry about driving it for the first time. Believe me, you wouldn't be the first to bump into something; I'm betting you won't. I hope your flare improves. Get the haircut and highlights. My hairdresser is off til Tues. I need a cut too. It's better to be bored and beautiful than bored and needed a color job and cut :)

Rosie, I do let the dust collect until I can't stand it any more. Right now, I've had the vacuum in the bedroom for a week. I get down and clean under the bed and other furniture a little at a time. It simply wears me out. You are right about how I've healed enough to be enjoying life a little only to have it taken back by this flare. The only good news is that even a year ago, I probably would have had to quit the job. Now, by rationing my energy, I can rest when I'm off and keep on working. Still, it seems that all I do is rest and work, rest and work. Heck, no wonder I have the doldrums. Hope your flare improves.

Terri, thanks for the laugh and good wishes. I hope whatever you are doing this weekend, you have fun.

I'm sorry everyone is going through this but I guess it's good to know we are not alone in our doldrums. I used to put my down time to good use. I love to read and watch TV; however, there is only so much one can do until that becomes a bit boring.

The thing which I have found interesting is that so many of my customers are expressing similar feelings. These aren't people looking for excitement. They are searching for some kind of deeper satisfaction. I do believe the war, the economy, lack of national healthcare in the U.S., the cost of gas, and this long political season have taken their toll. Perhaps we are all feeling a bit insecure in the future.

I do try not to stress over it as I believe things are as they should be and it's up to me to figure out what will help me get out of this rut. I also believe there is a reason for everything. I guess if humankind were not restless, we'd still all be sitting around in cold caves, gnawing on bones.

Thanks again, everyone. Y'all help make it all worthwhile.

Love, Mikie
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

It does seem to be going around... I know lots of people right now going thru a lot of medical and/or financial problems, either themselves and/or family..........

and right now I'm in sensory overload, probably from the stress of trying to pack up our house and not really yet knowing where we're going- staying around here or moving to Mexico (a long time dream).

But with 4 dogs to consider (2 of which fight), it's that much harder (worse than kids, really, can't just easily rent a hotel room!) Things will decide themselves over the next 2 months but in the meantime, well I guess the stress & sensory overload are really unavoidable. So when I need a rest, I really need to rest, ie, lay down.

LOL it fatigues me to even think about it tho!

Mikie are you still able to work, or are you on 'hiatus'? Hope we all recover from our flares well and soon!

all the best,

9. I'm glad to hear I am not alone, I have the blahs myself. I have been hurting so much, and get down because of it. I find if I find something to do its easier, especially now with the warmer weather and DOORS OPEN and FLOWERS!

OMG talk about fibro fog, I told the lady working in the dairy at the store that the Kraft cheese was all out of date Sept 08, she looked at me, and I felt so stupid and my husband said its only May , OMG then the fog lifted! Has anyone else ever said something dumb like that! What causes it! I hope its not altzheimers!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm amazed at all the interest. We all seem to have a lot in common in terms of finding what keeps the doldrums from the door. I decided to use the day doing something less physical but which needed doing. I cleaned out my Mom's paperwork and got it all organized and filed. She died in 2002, so there was a lot to be shredded. I'm going to clean out my own files and then take it to a service to get it shredded. It would take the rest of my life to put it through my shredder. Mom had all the old pictures and family history on her side. It was very touching to see all the obits and prayer cards from my family--appropriate for this holiday weekend.

Jam, I'm glad you are feeling well. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm also glad you enjoy bridge so much. I've never been one for card games except poker, which I started playing as a kid. I haven't played in years. I do think games like bridge keep one sharp and challenged.

Victoria, I think of you often, especially when I'm checking the weather up in your neck of the woods. Hope you guys avoid the tornadoes. The ones in CO were way out NE of Denver where my other kids and my ex live. I hope and pray that you get to move and realize your dream. I am still working even though I've been in a flare for a couple of months. About all I get done is work/rest, work/rest, work/rest...Our hours have been cut drastically so that I'm only working 10-16 hrs. a week now. That suits me fine as long as I'm still recovering from the flare.

Nancy Mystic, I'm so glad you've enjoyed yourself. It does me good to hear about one of us having some fun. You know, I was intimidated by the Dewey Decimal System as a kid and I still feel kinda creepy in libraries. I love to read and learn and that is the saving grace for me. We have a nice new library on my way to work. When I'm feeling better, I plan to stop in.

Fibrobutterfly, I'm sorry you've been in pain. You are not the only one who does these crazy things. At the condo mtg. at our pool last week, I asked if we had gotten our May financials from the mgmt. co. The manager had to remind me that it's still May! Well, duh! Half the time, I don't even know what day it is. I don't know how I get myself to work as our schedules rotate.

My hugs and prayers to you all for brighter days and nights ahead.

Love, Mikie
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I've been meaning to do that, too, color my hair. I think I'll get right to it.........thanks for reminding me!

The sun has returned here in NE PA and everyone seems in better spirits after all the rain we've been having with the chilly weather.

I have been slowly working again. Will that kick me out of disability? I have an application filed. I am only up to 9 hours a week, but may get more hours.

Better go do my hair.....LOL
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thanks for that giggle, nope, I'm definately in my jammies while watching tv, but there's usually nothing on the television, you know what I mean!!! Too funny.......

Mikie, I did manage to get out yesterday and it felt wonderful!

I got my hair cut too so it was a really good day. Now I'm just not sure if I should bother with highlights on hair that's only an inch and a half long!

And it sounds like you managed a very productive day too.

Hugs all,

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Kelly, glad you are getting some sunshine. One of the reasons I love living in FL is that the sun shines most of the time, well, except when we're having hurricanes :) I talked to an atty. before even filing for SSD. He gave me some very good advice to start preparing my case. I wasn't working at all. Perhaps an atty. could help you. They don't charge unless you win SSD, except for a small fee for office expenses, in some cases. Good luck.

Nancy Mystic, glad you got a laugh. I am better at doing both right- and left-brain activities, but when I was a kid, I worked more out of my right brain. Anything with numbers was difficult for me. I really do have to stop at the library. Yesterday, after work, I decided I needed to do a little shopping, so I had to get home and get my cold stuff put away. Also, I kinda hate to go anywhere in my work uniform. It makes me look like a leprachan (did I spell that correctly).

Nancy Hugs, ooooh, I envy your getting your hair cut. I called on Fri. and the whole shop was shut down til Tues. I don't begrudge them some time off with family but that did seem excessive. I'm chomping at the bit to get my hair cut. I usually color it before I go to get it cut. Right now, I look like a big bubblehead.

Hope y'all have a really nice holiday and feel well.

Love, Mikie