Colored Pencil ~~FLOATING AWAY~~ has been changed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

"Floating Away", discussed here, had been removed and replaced.

I am not sure how this is going to turn out....we'll see.

This is called "Floating Away", 2003, 18x24, Colored Pencil

My oldest son came up to me one day and said, "I had a dream I was floating away." He couldn't remember any more though. But I got this crazy idea from those words.

The message of this piece is this: Life is tough. Not just for you, but for everyone else around you. Other peoples problems could be worse. Hang in there!

This particular young man couldn't hack it in the daily grind, so he opened up his car door, exited, and floated away.

When you look deeper into the drawing, you see the troubles of the people below. Traffic jams, a purse snatching: victim & thief, a hit going down in an alley, a chalk outline....stuff like that. But among the stress and crime and bad things are a few bright spots.... mimes, a street singer and some dancing spectators...

I guess sometimes you have to round a corner before you will come to some of the good things in life.

I apologize for the poor quality of this. I was in a rush to frame it in time for a show, and didn't have time to take and develop pictures before encasing it in glass. So I scanned it in 9 sections or so, then pieced it together on the computer. So you can see my lousy patchwork job especially on the right and lower sides.

On the side, I have blowups of some details. The people are the size of ants in the original, so I am enlarging parts so you can see them.

~~In the top picture you see the taped off chalk outline and police cars.

~~The second picture shows the red car at the intersection with the door open. This is the floaters car, left unattended, resulting in a gridlock traffic jam. In the lower left, two black suited men guarding an alley where a gunman confronts another man. In the top right, a hooker at the stoplight.

~~The third picture shows a guitar player, and three girls gettin' down! (My favorite part!)

This is one of those pieces it took me two trys to complete. I got all the buildings sketched in place and shaded, and the man sketched in. But, the perspective was so intense at close range, it made me dizzy and floopy to work on it. I got frustrated and put it in the closet of rejection. A year or two later, I was going through the stack of misfits and found it. I was actually impressed with my former self a little, and decided to finish it up. I had already done the hard part! So I added the windows, filled the streets, and finished the man and his briefcase.

Glad I finished it. Unlike every single other thing I have drawn, this one is NOT pretty, colorful, happy or cheerful.... But I like it anyway. It is completely different.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A magical, surrealistic picture. I not only could not do the art, I couldn't even do the computer work to post it.

Your pictures will be family heirlooms. Maybe hundreds of years from now, someone will point and say, "Yes, one of my talented ancestors did that way back in the 20th century."

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

EXCELLENT work. Thank you for posting it for us to see.

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You're an artist. It's brilliant and it is beautiful.

Before the fall in income, my one great extravagance was art. I acquired a number of Canadian and British artists and what I continue to own (much had to be sold, alas), along with my books, are my most treasured possessions.

I have sold furniture to buy art. Living with art is one of the great joys in life. You are an artist! You create more art in the world! How cool is that?!

Your work is so well suited to prints. And, prints would allow you to keep the originals.

I don't know if you have any interest in the commercial possibilities of your work but I would imagine that they are multiple.

It's fantastic!

5. ckball

ckball New Member

wow that is so cool, I would love to see it up close. You totally amaze me with the color pencils.

There has been a email that has been around of art work that is street art that is so cool, have you ever seen it?

I may have it saved on my computer and post some, this reminds me very much of that art. Looks so real, you could walk in. Do you or have you done shows?

One of my art club freinds is an incredible painter, I am freinds with his twin sister and went to his house one day and he has at least 100 paintings that are beauiful, but he says they are not good enough to show. They really are amazing, such a shame for all that talent just sit there.

Thanks for sharing, please keep it up, I love looking at them-Carla
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Rockgor, lindy, Marta, Rafiki, Carla...thank you all!

the computer patchwork of the scanned sections was a challenge. I will never do that again. I didn't have a digital camera then. Hundreds of years from now, they will probably turn up in someones garage sale. Will there still be garages in the future? Maybe a hovercraft skyport sale!

I would like to make prints, but it involves spending some big money to make more. We have just never had that extra cash to do it with. Hubby broke his hip right before Christmas. He is a painting contractor, so he has been unable to work all winter till now. Right now, we can barely afford groceries. But someday....I hope to get some prints made.

Lindy & Carla,
    yes I have shown my work locally, a few at a time. I have also had a few one man shows at local galleries where I showed everything at once. I haven't done anything new (in pencil) since 2004 though.

you must be referring to Julian Beever. That guy is amazing! I really don't know how he does what he does. If you look at his work from the wrong angle, it is all messed up and distorted. But from the right perspective, it looks like you could fall in, literally! LOVE that guy!!!

(Carla, This particular piece is not burnished with white, and made to be glossy like all my others. It is lighter and looks more like pencil. I didn't figure concrete buildings needed to be glossy.)
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Another truly amazing example of your artwork....

If this spent a year in the closet, I'd love to see what else is in there!!!

8. victoria

victoria New Member

That is GREAT - if they're giving awards in the show, this should get a blue ribbon!

I've yet to try to digitally scan anything in and try to photoshop it or any other program... altho at least I do now have a digital camera. Cant believe you did it with a regular camera?! What program/s did you use, if any, or did you just do it the old fashioned way off the computer?

Any suggestions - from anyone -- for someone illiterate --like me -- with photoshop etc as to what would be the easiest program to manipulate photos with into composites????

It's amazing where ideas can be gotten from! -dreams have inspired so many great paintings, I've collected dream books that specifically have great examples of art in them as a result!

all the best of luck! I'm sure you'll sell that one!

9. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Victoria - I didn't use the camera to photograph this one. I scanned it in sections. I laid it on the scanner, top corner and scanned that, then moved it over, and scanned the next section, etc. Then I pieced them all back together with Adobe PhotoDeluxe - a lite version of Photoshop that came free with my printer.

Normally, I take them outside at midday and just take a photo. Once the photos are developed and I know it came out good, then I mat and frame them. But with this one, I was in too much of a hurry. I had a show coming up and was trying to beat the deadline - hence the crappy scan job. Now that its framed and under glass, I can't take a picture without the glare.

Adobe Photoshop, or other similar programs, are great for doing composites. But in this case, for some reason the scanned sections looked a little different in color. Maybe due to the slight curvature of the board I drew it on, and not laying flat against the scanner. So the picture of it in my profile looks pretty patchy.

When I did show it, it was listed "not for sale". Some, I am just not willing to give up! If I ever make prints though, this will be one of the first to be reproduced.
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

Yes it is Julian Beever, I had forgot his name until you mentioned it. I have bever seen his work in person and wondered how it looked at different angles.

I am going to gooogle him now so I will have it, I looked threw my email and didn't find it. Probably one of the many I lost when my computer crashed last year.

When working on something this large, do you use a easel and stand or a table and sit? I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it, it is an amazing peice-Carla

11. victoria

victoria New Member

I am wondering if you used your computer to help you compose it, or did it the old fashioned way with transparencies done by hand or tracing paper even...?

I'm going to make a separate post, thanks for your help and anyone else's!

12. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Carla, I saw Julian Beevers work from another angle online. I have never seen it in person either. I doubt if he makes it to the Ozarks very often.

Victoria - Sorry for the confusion. No, I didn't use the computer for composition. I drew the man on sketch paper, drew the buildings on a separate piece, then traced them onto the watercolor board. Once I had everything in place, I began with the colored pencils. I only used the scanner in place of photographing it. (I like to have photo's so I can show them easily.)
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

All I can say is OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! I've never seen anything like this! Your work is a masterpiece! Be proud of yourself! I showed it to hubby and he thinks it's amazing too--

Hugs, Laura