Colud My DD BE An Untreated Sinus Infection or MSC?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jun 12, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

After 6 years of this misery, I am beginnig to wonder if my DD is related to sinus or MSC.

My first symptom was a vertigo attack, treated for ear problems then later mono. Seems all this went to my head, the dizziness, fatigue, body aches, anxiety etc. I did see an ENT he said SINUS,(this was months later) He put me on an antibiodic and within a week I was feeling much better.

Won't go into all the details but ever since when I think I am dying with chills, horrible fatigue, body aches etc. I go to him and he says sinus, get an antibiotic and began to feel better.

The problem is after I have been off the antibiotic a couple of weeks the same thing happens again. He is not one to give a long term antibiotic.

I have got it in my head that I may have MCS or ALlergies that cause the sinus problems, but the ENT will not test nor send be for allergy testing. He says Sinus.

Could I have a low grade sinus infection that has never really been treated long enough to be cleared up that is causing a lot of my misery.

I have been told by three rheumys that I have fibro/cfs but won't discuss the sinus issue with me.

Can anyone relate with the sinus issue? Just trying to put the pieces togther.

Thanks and God Bless,

2. slowingdown

slowingdown New Member

I have replied to some of your posts before. It really sounds like we have a lot of the same problems. My doctor has thought I had fibro for years, but I was able to cope by doing a stretching/exercise routine daily and watching diet. I didn't feel great, but I was able to continue teaching by pacing myself. Then, when the vertigo mess started my world began to fall apart. I still haven't been given a final answer but after having MRIs to rule out MS, the doctors are back to the original idea of inner ear virus which made fibro worse. Then, throw in the horrible sinus problems which kept causing the inner ear virus to flare. I was always able to manage with Claritin as needed until this spring. I was on a cocktail of Mucinex D, Claritin, and nasal spray most of the spring and I still couldn't walk or think straight. However, if I didn't take them I couldn't even function. I started Grapeseed Extract and also got off all dairy (that makes mucus worse); I had previously gone gluten-free. I now am only taking Zyrtec. I switched to that after a friend said it helped her more than Claritin; it's supposed to be good for indoor/outdoor allergies. I've never been tested, but I must have both. I really flared during the last week of school because I was in so much dust with packing books, etc. I am having a much better spell the last 2 weeks. I recently started walking on the treadmill again (only 7 minutes), but it's a start. Just 6 months ago I would walk 30 minutes each morning and stretch for another 15 before work. I know this helps, but the dizziness, weakness, and fatigue of the last months has not allowed me to do this.

Try a few diet changes like getting rid of dairy. I read that it can take a couple of months to fully kick in. This is supposed to help even if someone doesn't have an allergy to it. I remember telling my kids not to drink milk when they had a bad cold because it can coat the throat, but I never really made the full connection until my chiropractor said to try it. Now when I feel that ear fullness getting worse I get to the chiropractor for him to adjust my ears; it really does help. When I'm at my worst I go 2x a week.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your replies.

Rocky76 I have been tested for lyme disease twice both were negative. Especially since the antibiotic helped so much I wanted a second test.

Slowingdown, This vertigo thing is the pits. I have tried zyrtex but couldn't take it seem to make my ear fullness and ear ringing much worse. Have your doctors come up with a Dx yet? I went to a chiorpractor but since my medicare wouldn't pay can't afford to go back. Hope you are feeling better. I have often thought of MS but I paniced and couldn't have the MRI, had a CT Scan which was normal.

Jaminhealth, guess you hit the nail on the head IMMUNE SYSTEM, but I never run a fever in fact mine is usually subnormal. Yes I take the grapeseed but will have to admit, I probably don't take what I need and sometimes forget to take it, but since this last spell I have been taking it daily. Also I am trying Zicam allergy nasal gel.

I have been having to do sooooooooooo much more since I have the greatgrans. When I feel I have taken my last step seem with them needing me I find the strength to keep going.

I do know I am over doing but for now I have to.

God Bless each of you,

4. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Please pressure your Dr. for a CT scan of your head and MRI with contrast.

Went thru the same problems. 1989 1st sinus operation because of these tests. 2003 had 2nd & 3rd sinus opertation because of the results of these tests.

If no luck, switch Dr.s right away.

I truly wish you the best and hope you can get the help you need.
  5. Junegal

Junegal New Member

This is how mine all started. Sore throat/sinus infection and antibiotics. Three days off antibiotics, boom, back again with a vengence. 1.5 years later and 19 rounds of antibiotics. I can't get out of bed without them. I was also put on one month of antiobitics, very strong, in the beginning of this whole mess by a doctor thinking what you stated...maybe a deep sinus infection that we aren't getting by 14 day courses of antiobitcs. A few days after I came off the one-month course, the infection hit with a vengence.

I went to my ENT, a second opinion, a third opinion he sent me to. I went to Infectious disease, an allergist, and I can't think but there were more. I was desperate. When that all failed, I went into NYC to a top ENT out of Columbia and once I told my story and showed my b/w he said 'this is chronic fatigue, this is Epstein barr" The only thing that NEVER made sense to me and still doesn't is that CFS and EB should not respond to antibiotics. I always feel better on them.

Two weeks ago I got a positive Lyme test so I am currently pursuing that.

I would go to a second opinion ENT for your problems just to rule out sinuses to make you feel better, but for me, four ENT doctors came up with nothing. Oh, and out of desperation they did sinus surgery (deviated septum, shaved my terbs) one year ago and it didn't help, either.

I hate the whole sinus thing, what a mess!
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Find a doctor who will authorize allergy testing. I think it's unethical that your doctor won't even look into it but doesn't mind repeated courses of antibiotics. When your doctor won't take care of something, you've got to take charge.

I had chronic sinus infections, was on repreated antibiotics, had to beg my doctor but she finally referred me to an allergist and I disocvered I had a severe dust mite allergy. Had to get allergen-free pillows, pillow covers, mattress cover, etc. But it made a big difference.

So if this doctor won't look into that, find one who will. It's crazy to just refuse to test you.

And try the other things people suggested too.

7. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Jaminhealth: so, you finding the grage seed is working well? i've only just heard of this and just started the pine it will be interesting to see what happens.