come and meet my foster dog

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smiffy79, Mar 20, 2006.

1. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hiya
    i am fostering this young man for retriever rescue, isnt he a beauty. i dont reckon i will have him long, do you? :)
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I think it's great that you can do this. I know I would suck at it as I would get to attached to them and not want them to go ! But I bet it feels great when you see them get a good home ! You are a good person !
  3. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

He's so precious! Makes me want to jump in my computer and hug him. That must be very rewarding for you to rescue animals and give them proper homes.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  4. twerp

twerp New Member

Wish I had room for a big dog; I think I'd get you to ship him to Arizona!

Hugs,
    Twerp
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

He is wonderful! Makes me wonder how any golden retriever would end up needing to be rescued! My next one will be from a rescue group. I love my golden boy.

There's a new pic of Rey in my profile. His name is Dreams 'O Disarrey on the Run. My lab is Alkeli Flats Dis-Aster and we call her Aster.

Wonderful fuzzy butts!

Hugz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i cant get a very clear pic of him, the best one i have of him he is asleep!!

he's had a nice bath and a groom today, behind his ears i have had to leave bald as the matting was right up to the skin. under his petticoat at the back was all dreaded up.
    he looks better for a good groom now and must surely feel better for it.

he's coming out of his shell a lot more today i think he has a huge character waiting to burst out!! he has the makings of a cheeky monkey!! i reckon hes only about a year old. he will make a great pet for someone somewhere.
  7. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I love your foster doggie. I am a doggie lover too, look at my profile. My three angels are there. Thank you for doing the work you are doing. How can you bear to give him up. What a sweetie. My dogs are all rescue dogs. We have had strays and unwanteds for the past 30 years when we got married, and I wouldnt take a breeder doggie over my rescues. They are the best!!! Take care, Pattie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  8. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

Do you have dalmations too? How cute!!! Pattie
    PS Fish are fun too!!!
  9. livin4him

livin4him New Member

but he does look scared. If you don't mind me asking, why are you fostering him? What happened to him, just curious. You are definitely an animal lover as am I.

When I had my 40 acres I took in all kinds. One of the best ones I had was a collie and he looked horrible. He was so skinny, had the mange, etc. Everybody said you need to just put him down. But, I wouldn't - nursed that boy right back to health and he was the most beautiful sweet dog. He ending up getting another stray, a Catahoula, pregnant and we ended up with some adorable babies. My sister has one now, Little Man, and he is the sweetest, smartest dog we have ever had.

There was someone that dropped off a huge dog with a bag of dog food at my gate. But he ran away, never could get him. Makes me sad not to be able to help them.

May God Bless You for what you are doing.
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

How great you are doing the foster dog as well as having your spotty dogs there in the background.

Love Anne C
  11. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Hi,

Enjoyed seeing picture of your foster dog. Our Golden of 12 years died suddenly in January and Haven't been able to heal as of yet. I lost my best friend.

Have been checking out rescue dogs but right now not sure with my FM if I could take care of a dog.

I love the Goldens-they are such a nice breed. Do you find it difficult taking care of him?

My dog and I were like two elderly gals-did everything slow, slept in, and shared everything with understanding.

Hope you get to foster for awhile and he finds a loving home.

Thanks for sharing. Good-luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  12. loops1988

loops1988 New Member

i have just adopted a dog from a rescue kennel.
    her name is cassie, i year old, absolutly lovely dog shes such a beauty too.

she is border collie cross but not sure of the other breed think maybe dalmation.

what do you think?

louise
  13. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

yes deffo, he's dal alright :)

the two dals in the background are mine and i have a shih tzu too.

i dont know why he was given up only that i am now his 4th hand over so he's not had it great.

he's full of mischief but so is my youngest dalmatian so they spend most the day playing.
    he loves kids too and so so gentle. he's really strong but a soppy bag of mush!! :)

he's underweight, i can trace his ribs, spine and hips really clearly as i run my hands down him.

he's not hard to look after he just needs some basic training. so far i've taught him off. sit and paw he knew already so now i teaching, down and stay.

his only down side is that he needs lead training but will walk nice with a halti ~ until he chewed it up!! hes getting the hang of walking to heel though, i've just gotta keep the training going for him.

mlp, thats a great pic :) very cute[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]

kasilou, im sorry to hear about your dog. i dont think fibro should hold us back from getting a dog. if anything i think dog owning helps the fibro from taking a firm hold over you.

[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]
  14. pawprints

pawprints New Member

on him. I'm a sucker for any dog, especially Goldens.

I wish him the best at finding a forever home.

Shana
  15. pawprints

pawprints New Member

on him. I'm a sucker for any dog, especially Goldens.

I wish him the best at finding a forever home.

Shana
  16. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I also have a foster dog - she is a German Shorthair Pointer that showed up on my porch about 3 weeks ago and she was very pregnant. We now have 10 puppies that are definitely not Pointers, but they are adorable! We think she was dumped because she bred with the "wrong" dog.

Jen
  17. libra55

libra55 New Member

I love Goldens too, my aunt and uncle had them when I was growing up. I have always had one dog or another since I was 11 years old. Poodles, Cockapoos, Mixed Breeds, and now Welsh Corgis (3 of them, one gone to the Bridge). I absolutely love dogs. I love cats too except I'm allergic.

Good luck with him, that is great work you're doing and I hope he finds a terrific forever home.

Michelle
  18. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi Smiffy Congratulations ! My daughter also has a rescue retriever. He is black and absolutely the best behaved and well dispositioned dog I have ever seen. She has adopted hers. His name is just Stallone, but my dh calls him sly! We love him but my 11yr. old Jack Russell does not! However she tolerates him and he stays out of the ole lady's way. Rescue is a wonderful service. If I wasn't so old I would get a bulldog Some call them English bulldogs. I used to raise them,and love them dearly. Have fun!
  19. justlooking

justlooking New Member

He made my day! You must be full of heart to give so much of your time and self to help foster dogs. Dogs can require a lot of time and attention and I think you are a real dear to do it.

In your Bio it said you had a bad attitude, with giving your love to these dogs, I don't believe it for a second...unless the bad attitude is for people then I understand (they can be much harder to deal with than animals) LOL

Sincerely
    JL
  20. loops1988

loops1988 New Member

i am finding it hard to train cassie.
    she jumps up at you for fuss but dosnt stop when you tell her down, she can sit and lay and knows her bed but its when she actully does them for you!!!

on the lead she is a nightmare even if you yank her back everytime she pulls she just keeps doing it.

she scrounges for food aswell, and just lately she has put everything and anything in her mouth (she chewed the wire for our 3 portable phones yesturday so mums not pleased!)

my sister had her second child yesturday so im worried cassie wont be gentle as she can be abit of a handful with monica aged 2.

we went to training lesson but it was just more like a social club!!!

any tips? i will welcome them with open arms!

louise