Come watch my video of a great CFS fundraising event--

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As most of you know, I'm disabled with ME/CFS and in a mobility scooter, but this year I was able to make it out to a wonderful event: an endurance mountain bike race in the mountains of New Mexico. It was the 2nd year of the event and amazingly, it's a fundraiser for CFS.

I took my camera and made a short highlights/informational video of the race, including information about ME/CFS.

Here's the link:
    You can just copy and paste it in your browser to watch it.

On the right side of the link, there are also interviews I did with organizers of the race and members of the CFIDS Assn. of America, that you can watch.

As a former mountain biker, I felt sad not to be able to participate, but I also felt a sense of elation at watching so many healthy people learn about CFS, contribute to research, and ride for those of us that cannot.

Sorry if the motion shots of the trail are a little hard to watch. The video was mainly for the racers, supporters, and people who don't know anything about CFS, but I want to share it with as many people as I can in the CFS community as well. The event gave me a great sense of hope.

If you can think of other places to post this, I'd greatly appreciate it. And feel free to share it with anybody who might be interested to watch it.

That's me in my scooter at the very end.

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2011]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What a great video of a great event. I feel like I was there.
    Even feel energized from watching.

Those gals/organizers are doin' a terrific job. And I see Peanut
    was there to help.

Thanks for sharing, Ken.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

for your kind response.

Yep, Peanut had a cameo in the video. Also got a lot of help from Wendy on editing suggestions. I'm in the last two shots, right after the credits.

4. spacee

spacee Member

My thanks to all the bikers and the volunteers and the photo, editor and Wendy!!

Really enjoyed watching. Moving that ppl are trying to raise money/awareness for CFS.

My pcp is 64yo and bikes with a group every weekend 50 miles. Nothing like mountain
    biking though. Flatlands of Florida and on the highway.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Neat about your pcp riding every weekend with a group.

Glad you enjoyed watching it. I had to stop mountain biking back in '03, but I'm glad to get outside to such beautiful places again.

Haven't been to Florida since the 80s, I think. My grandfather lived in Satellite Beach, near Cape Kennedy. There is actually mountain biking in Florida, but the hills are not very "mountainous." lol

6. rockgor

I think I've posted it before. So if you have read it already, don't read farther.

How will I know unless I read it? Well, that's the thing. People are always
    saying don't read it if you don't like it, but it's hard to know in advance, isn't it.

Anyhoo, in 1967 I visited Salt Lake City. Went to the rehearsal of the Morman
    Tabernacle Choir. The director then was Richard P. Condie.

The choir members slowly drifted in. Around 360 of them, wearing casual clothes.
    The chatted in muted tones. After a few minutes the choir director walked in.
    He waved an arm and there was instant silence. Waved the other arm and
    a wall of glorious sound enveloped us.

So the choir would sing a few bars, the director would stop them and say
    something the audience couldn't hear. A few more bars of music. After a while not
    terrible interesting.

About half an hour a lady in a wheelchair was pushed in. The pusher announced,
    "You've all read her books; seen her movies. This is Pearl S. Buck." She had
    just given a talk in an adjoining building.

The choir sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic", complete, with no breaks,
    in "living stereo" as RCA used to call its recordings. The Tabernacle is famous
    for its accostics.

Today there is no more RCA Victor. The choir recorded for Columbia. That's gone too.
    All the record companies of my youth are gone or merged into a giant conglomerate.

Anyhoo, one of the great musical experiences of my life.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I don't remember you telling it before.

Must have been an incredible moment. Would probably have given me chills. Or tears. Or awe. Or all three.

That was 1967? The Good Earth won the Pulitzer in the early 30s?

I've been in the Temple, during the Winter Olympics in 2000, but the choir wasn't there. To hear them singing that song for Pearl Buck must have been wondrous.

On Youtube, you can find all sorts of recordings, many on those old labels. Been listening to old Harry Belafonte songs, from the Caribbean and Calypso albums.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just saw that Pro Health posted my video. Great! Wish more people could see it, and feel encouraged by it. As far as I know, the bike race is the only grassroots fundraiser for ME/CFS in the country. I'm hoping the event grows even bigger, and awareness increases.

Wow, truly stunning video and photos of the Milky Way. Thanks to you and Rock for sharing it.
    I saved it under "favorites" on Youtube. I found it under "Southern Ocean Sky" on Youtube. Looks like the shots were taken from somewhere south of Australia. Wouldn't it be great to see the stars in such a dark, clear sky?

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just saw that Pro Health put Claudia Goodell as the creator of the video. It was actually me who made it, sitting in my recliner and doing it on my laptop, and that's me in the scooter at the very end, after the credits.

Not a big deal, but anyone know if there's a way to contact Pro Health to have them correct this?
    Guess it doesn't matter, so long as more people get a chance to see it. lol

10. rockgor

My dad was an "Al" but I never knew anydobby named "Et".
    (Unless you count Et tu Brute.)

Found your video on the ME/CFS board, Ken. There's a "Contact us"* if you want to
    write to ProHealth. I've tried it a couple times. Won't work for me, but my computer
    is often recalcitrant. (There's an Offenbach operetta w/ a song about recalcitrant

Yes, I remember Harry Belafonte. Very popular when I was in school. I used to have
    his Carnegie Hall album. The Chad Mitchell trio appeared on it. I met one of the
    trio members on Youtube. He was partner to James Leo Herlihy, author of
    "Midnight Cowboy". This teaches us that everything in the universe is somehow

Oh yeah, guess you guys are too young to remember, but when I was in college,
    The Mormon Tabernacle Choir recording of "Battle Hymn" was a hit song. The
    choir won a gold record.

Jean, do you often see the Northern Lights in Toronto? There's song (probably
    on Youtube) called the Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen. We used to see them
    in Minnesota; faint greenish wisps. Except one time they were spectaculr. Rays
    of light streaming up from the horizon to a point overhead as though we were in
    a tent.

Oops, just realized I'm posting on the board instead of in my mailbox. Better
    wind this up before it goes poof!

*Bottom of the page.