Comfort Foods What are Yours?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Comfort foods are generally simple, easy to prepare, and often associated w/ childhood memories. Wikipedia says the term was added to Websters Dictionary in 1972

Gordon likes to make potato tacos, something I never heard of any other cook preparing. (Gordon doesn't eat them, but I do.)

How to Make

Boil diced potatoes w/ bay leaf and oregano. Drain. Cool.

Heat tortilla until soft. Fill w/ potato and secure w/ tooth picks. Fry.

Add what you like (cheese, lettuce, olives, onions, tomato) and enjoy.

Needless to say (?), remove the toothpicks.

Mucho Bueno

Really good w/ Margaritas.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

oh you've got my taste buds going here!! Your tacos sound great, not big on tacos over here though you can buy them.

Cheese Dreams - French toast, doubled up with melted cheese in the middle.

We buy wholemeal bread and you need white bread to make good french toast, so rarely have it but.........maybe this week we'll get white bread and go for it.

mmmmmmmmm comfort food is so nice!!

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'd have to say my favorite comfort food - to make and to eat- is brownies.
    I have an easy recipe, which I will share here:

Easy Brownies
    Melt together 2 sticks of butter and 7 T. baking cocoa....let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, add 4 eggs and 2 c. sugar. Mix and add 1 t. vanilla. Add cooled cocoa mixture, then add 1 c. flour and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and bake @ 350 for 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool and dust with powdered sugar.

Bon appetit!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm awake now!,,,Lolol! The potatoe Tacos,,,,The Cream Dream,,,,,,,The Brownies,,,,,,All Sound soooooo Good!,,,,,My favorite Comfort food is Homemade Whole Grain Bread,,,,Plastered with Butter,,,,and anything with Frosting on it!,,,,,,Thanks for the ideas,,,,Definatley going to make your Brownies Teri!,,,,,Yum!
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Love ice a ton!

Cookies...sugar are the best with ice cream, of course.

Frosting! I'm with Sis...anything with lots of frosting on it espcially white cake and homemade butter cream frosting cream!

Well...guess that's it for me. You're getting the drift, I'm sure.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've never heard of potato tacos, either, even here in Nuevo Mexico, the land of tortillas and green chile. Gordon's sound delicious. My wife makes tortilla pizza on occasion, with no cheese.

As far as comfort foods, cereal is a big one for me, for some reason, usually some granola with cinnamon Puffins, and bananas and blueberries on top.

7. bct

bct Active Member

Well, rocky, I think I already told you menudos was one of my favorite comfort foods. My English grannie used to love tripe too, but not spiced up like Latino style.

Hey I agree with you chocoholics out there! I love really dark chocolate.

Ice cream -- Yes!

Split pea soup (home-made) with minced ham.

Deviled kidneys on toast.

And nothing beats a nice soft-boiled egg at times.

Well I'm too hungry to sleep now so am going to sign out and eat.
  8. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Can I borrow Gordon for awhile??? That sounds wonderful.

I think my comfort food is, fried potatoes with onions and polish sausage. Could eat it everyday

9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Rock, I have never heard of them, but they sound delicious! I love potatoes cooked a variety of ways. I would have to say Mexican food is one of my comfort foods, and everything Sue said, ice cream with lots of "stuff" in it. I am definitely a frosting person and I am not really sure what I would do if chocolate became scarce!

And bread, I love most kinds of bread! Too bad most of this stuff is bad for you, but it sure feels great when you are kicking back and enjoying! Have a great night all! Kim :)
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I love tapioca pudding by kozy Shack. I put whipped cream on top every night!

Those potato tacos sound good!
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Macaroni and cheese! I make a huge dishful, then freeze it in individual portions.

I also like: soups, salads, believe it or not, and Healthy Whole Wheat tortillias (brand) spread with a tiny bit of Smart Balance, toasted in the toaster oven until crisp, then spread with natural peanut butter. I used to like homemade cookies best of all but I can't handle any sugar anymore.

Mmmmmmm. I'm drooling on my keyboard. I suspect I need to have breakfast....

12. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Pork roast in the slow cooker all day and then mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, dinner rolls (fresh from the oven) and then brownies with mint chip ice cream! Life doesn't get much better than that....unless you do a turkey breast in the slow turns out so juicy and wonderful!