common food allergy/reaction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IgotYou, Aug 19, 2003.

1. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I just got back from lunch - I had french fries with ketchup (my kids are with me today, so I splurged) and I feel rotten! I've noticed this before with french fries and ketchup - hot face, brain fog, sore throat, itchy face and arms within half an hour of finishing. Anyone else have this? Is it the potatoes? The tomatoes? The sugar? or wheat in the oil from previous frying of chicken nuggets? (I don't eat any wheat.) I have heard talk here of tomatoes and potatoes being a problem, yet I haven't noticed this problem when I eat them fresh.

Speaking of common food allergies, we eat so much corn, potatoes, and tomatoes because of our huge garden that I don't think I could maintain a happy marriage without them (I'm exaggerating, of course). A few days ago I suggested I might try giving up corn for a few weeks to see if it made a difference and my husband told me I was thinking myself into food allergies.

So what are the most common food allergies here? How did you find out? Is it worthwhile to keep a journal of everything you eat and how you feel?
  2. brneyedgrl

brneyedgrl New Member

Hello. I was just wondering if you have allergies to chemicals also? I have latex allergies that have cross reation allergies to foods and bannana and tomatoes are one of them.Maybe you should see an allergist. Best of luck.

brneyedgrl
  3. matn

matn New Member

MSG is a common ingredient in most brands of ketchup and it is often listed as natural flavoring. The french fries themselves could also be coated in a broth that contains MSG. I also am extremely sensitive to MSG, gluten, additives, etc. and suffered from the many symptoms associated with CFS. I do not eat out and I prepare my own unprocessed foods from scratch and I no longer suffer from CFS after being ill for close to 20 years. You may also want to look into a diet called Eat Right 4 Your Type by P. D'Adamo. If you are type "O" blood, you may want to restrict your intake of some of the foods you are now consuming.

Good Luck!
  4. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I'll bet that's it! I hate the stuff and can't believe people put it into everything the way they do. I always have the worst reaction to it. I never knew it could be listed as a natural flavoring. As for stopping eating out, that will be a killer - my husband used to be a restaurant chef and loves dining out - we do it fairly often, and I thought I was doing pretty well at spotting the problem ingredients. Well, I think I'll see if I can get my doctor to refer me to an allergist. I know there's something out there that I haven't identified that's bugging me. Thank you for the advice!
  5. bamboo

bamboo New Member

hi there. i have lots of food and chemical intolerances. corn and potatoes are among them, with tomatoes being a lesser one. it could not only be the food, the oil it's cooked in, the msg, but also the fact that fries contain lots of pesticides, from what i've read, which could exacerbate any reaction. soy, oranges, wheat, nuts, etc. are very common foods to react to. Devin Starlanyl's first book on fibromyalgia does a good job of addressing food intolerances, so that might be a good place for you to start learning about this - a lot of people with fibro are sensitive to foods. my pain level improved immensely once i figured out that i was intolerant of a whole variety of foods, eliminated them, and then slowly reintroduced those that i could begin to tolerate again. supplements for leaky gut syndrome (also addressed in devin's book) have helped a great deal, too. so, i'd suggest investigating this area and see if your food choices, overall, will help you feel better. let us know what you come up with!
    best of luck,
    julia
  6. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

Thank you all. I'm nowhere near Bend, am closer to Portland. I plan to go to an allergist when I can afford it, though I'm going to check and see whether my insurance (an HMO) will cover it. I've also been thinking of doing a food/symptom journal, though I'm afraid of turning it into an obsession (or rather, of having my husband get irritated that it has turned into an obsession!).
  7. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I am allergic to tomatoes, I think that is a common food allergy

Also, corn is a common allergen
  8. matn

matn New Member

An allergist will not necessarily have the answers here. I went to many and although they wanted to help, they couldn't. Their diagnosis, diets and recommendations did nothing to alleviate the symptoms. I think the problems is one of toxicity, instead of allergic response and there are virtually no physicians out their who can recognize this. The dose makes the poison. MSG can cause a host of symptoms that mimic the symptoms of CFS, MCS and FM. MSG can be described by well over 50 different descriptions in food (and beverages) and in some cases it does not have to be labeled (visit the Truth in Labeling website www.truthinlabeling.org )at all. I think the widespread use of MSG is partially responsible for the many cases of CFS and until it is identified and the public becomes aware of its presence, people will continue to come down with and not recover from this terrible condition. FYI: The FDA and USDA allow MSG to be sprayed on most agricultural crops and no labeling is required here as well. I have done my best to remove MSG from from diet along with the many other additives and rinses allowed by the FDA and USDA. I remain dairy free, gluten free, soy free, sugar free (no refined sugar) and I eat a balanced diet made from unprocessed ingredients. I do not consume any supplements or medications because they are all processed formulations and they make me extremely ill. I receive all of my vitamins and minerals from the foods and beverages I consume. This was a good starting point to my recovery and apparently I am one of the few to recover after suffering for close to 20 years.
  9. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

What DO you eat?! I have a hard enough time being gluten free (have been for two years), and finding all this MSG is making me realize I'm in big trouble. We grow all our own produce, and I can shelves and shelves of food every year (very tough this year, as my hands are really hurting), so I probably don't get much of that from whatever they're spraying on our food supply. I think you are right on about MSG in all its forms. It has to be stopped!
  10. matn

matn New Member

My diet has evolved over 25 years and it now one that is balanced and tasty but it requires significant effort to prepare and maintain. I eat primarily a good portion of protein (from unadulterated sources) along with a variety of low starch vegetables (18 plus per meal) prepared from a low temperature stir fry with organic, first pressed olive oil. I eat no raw sugar or anything artificial. I also allow myself to consume a limited amount of gluten free, soy free, dairy free, sugar free (none added) banana cake/cookies based on organic brown rice flour. I consume organic figs and Gerolsteiner mineral water for adequate calcium intake and I rely on the protein and vegetable sources to provide the required vitamins and minerals. It is importatnt to eat a variety and for the food to be colorful (yellow, red and green) without the use of artificial colorants. There is no limit to the quantity of food that you can eat; yet you will never gain weight on the diet. If you remain hungry, you can eat the entire meal again. I am 5'5" and weigh 117 - 118 pounds and my weight is very stable. When you eat healthy food in a balanced manner, your body is able to determine when you are full and when you are hungry. The diets recommended by the book, "Eat Right for Your Type" by P. D'Adamo and the diet described as the "Caveman Diet" also come very close to what I consume. Since I have "O" type blood I found that certain foods can cause significant problems such as potatoes, brussel sprouts, cabbage and corn. I do not consume anything that comes in a package and I use only true sea salt from New Zealand. A typical breakfast is one organic egg (dab of butter) with dill, about one - two cups of mixed low starch vegetables, one cup Gerolsteiner mineral water, one cup Ginger Tea (bottled spring water with a slice of ginger) and two banana cookies/bread. Another meal can be a turkey or chicken salad with organic red leaf lettuce, a carrot, a cucumber and a tomato with olive oil as the dressing. Add another serving of the mixed low starch vegetables and three organic, Turkish figs without added sulfites. I try to cook everything daily and nothing is stored for more than two days. Its a lot of cooking and preparation, but considering how miserable I was, it is well worth the effort. I went from being bedridden with every imaginable symptom to being able to play 4 hours of tennis a day! This guidance is just for starters but I hope it provides some assistance to you. I am in the process of compiling (in written form) all the actions I took to improve my health so that hopefully others can improve as well.
  11. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I think I would have to up the protein significantly. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs. so I eat about twice that much. We actually eat very close to that now, though I probably eat a few more high starch vegetables (potatoes, beets, corn) than you recommend. Our meat consists almost entirely of elk and venison (my husband hunts every year) so we don't have to worry about the hormones and antibiotics you get in commercial meat. We also have our own huge organic garden and I can enough produce each year to see us through the winter, though we do buy fresh vegetables in the winter. Honestly, I think that if I ate wheat and processed foods like most people I would be in a lot worse shape than I am, and feel lucky that I stumbled into a proper diet before I was even diagnosed. If you wouldn't mind, could you make a list of "no-no" vegetables? Also, how do you make your cookies? If this is information you plan to sell in book form, then I'll understand your not sharing it freely here! Thanks.
  12. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I think an alleergist is an ok way to go but a simpler and free way to check is through and elimination diet. Do a searcha nd you'll find info on it on the general web as well as through this site.

I recently did this and am still working my way back to some of the food items. As I bring foods back I am amazed at the different body reactions to certain foods and how clear and instantaneous they are.

I am going to ask in a differnt seperate post about the wheat free eating as I am on a no wheat eating plan....and my doc says that many people with CFS/FM would benefit from no wheat in their diets.
  13. matn

matn New Member

Sorry for the slow reply. I am new to this website and I am not clear on how to find replies etc. Feel free to up the protein. If I need to play an important tennis match, I often double the protein, eat a good portion of low starch vegetables and skip the figs or banana bread. I also munch on some carrots and cucumbers during the match, if needed. If you would like a list of acceptable vegetables for you to consume, please find out what your blood type is. The go on line and do a search under Eat Right 4 Your Type and P. D'Adamo will list of the food acceptable (Beneficial, Neutral & Negative) for your blood type. I try only to consume the good and neutral substances but even an occasional negative substance will not be a disaster. The key is to not eat many of the negative substances. When I was very ill, I was consuming a lot of the negative substances.

The banana bread recipe is as follows:

1 orgain egg (mix it with a fork)
    2 medium/large bananas with black specs (mix it with a fork in the egg until it is practically smooth)
    1 pinch of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (do not use baking powder) Mix with fork
    Add enough organic brown rice flour just to make the mix a non flowing solid (mix it all together until homogeneous) and take a spoon and form six "cookies" on a pan lined with aluminim foil.
    Flatten slightly and cook in pre-heated electric oven at 370 F for approximately 25 minutes or until slightly brown. Eat warm or cool, your choice.
    These are truly gluten, dairy and sugar (none added) free and they taste pretty sweet because of the ripeness of the banana.

Treat these as a dessert because they really are sweet and can cause some changes to your blood sugar level. I use them to maintain my weight and also I like the way they taste.

Good luck!
  14. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

LEAP tests for food sensitivities. It will let you know of what foods, additives, spices, etc that you are sensitive to via blood tests. It is different than RAST. The RAST tests shows true allergy whereas, LEAP shows sensitivites that may cause gut reactions, pain, IBS, etc. It is costly, but I hear some insurances will pay for it now. There is a website under LEAP.
    They gave me a booklet of my own profile and I try to follow it the best I can. I'm sensitive to wheat (as many FM people are) and trying new grains these days. It's just hard for me to bake because I'm also very sensitive to rice.
    Right now I am experimenting with Spelt flour. There is a world out there with natural cooking---I'm still a novice.
    And yes, it's time consuming vs the pre-packaged stuff in the markets, however, once you start feeling better it is well worth the time.
    Tania