Common variable immunodeficiency

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MarciaP, May 12, 2003.

1. MarciaP

MarciaP New Member

My husband has both fibromyalgia and common variable immunodefiency (CVID). CVID is sometimes treated with gamma globulin infusions to increase the patient's resistance to infections. My husband's doctor said he heard of some research in which gamma globulin infusions were used to treat pain (in people with CVID). Has anyone heard of gamma globulin being used to treat pain? Are there any articles on this?

Thanks!
  2. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

also welcome sorry here about your husband . i hope you can get some answers
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

as to how your husband does on Gamma Globulin! I've never heard of this before. I looked up CVID ... my son has ITP (they have given him Gamma Globulin), and is now having bowel problems ... even though I have no answer for your question, you may have given me a new avenue to explore for my son, and I thank you. Best wishes to you and your hubby,
    Hayley
  4. MarciaP

MarciaP New Member

Thanks for your response. What is ITP?

Marcia
  5. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

ITP is a disorder of the blood that involves the immune system. ITP stands for Immune Thrombocytopenic (a decrease in blood platelets) Purpura (purplish areas of the skin and mucous membranes). You may also hear it referred to as Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura which means the cause of the low platelet count is unknown. As far as experts know, ITP occurs when a person makes anti-platelet antibodies which attach to his or her own platelets. The body's immune system eliminates the platelets because of the antibodies on them, thinking that they may be bacteria. This results in a decrease in the platelet count, or thrombocytopenia.

When I looked up CVID and saw the bowel and ear infection problems associated with this, well ... it just sounds like what might be going on with my son (our doc doesn't know what is wrong and is saying wait and see). I've looked on the net under bowel problems and haven't found much that seems to fit. Your post just gave me a new path to explore, as I hadn't thought to approach it from the immune side before.

Hugs,
    Hayley