Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs and MCS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yellowbird, Jan 31, 2007.

1. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I'm trying to do my bit for the environment, including changing all the incandescent light bulbs in the house for compact fluorescents. Unfortunately they only seem to come packaged shrink-wrapped in plastic. There's a plastic residue on them, and when I leave a light bulb on for too long and it gets really hot, the room smells like melted plastic. Not good!

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think scrubbing them with an old toothbrush might help? (the things we have to do, honestly....)
  2. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I don't think it's the actual light bulb that smells, but a residue from the packaging.

Why are fluorescent light bulbs bad for you? These compact ones don't seem to flicker, otherwise they'd bother me for sure...
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
  3. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,

I think that maybe you are correct about the packaging residue. If all of the bulbs sold smelled like burning plastic they wouldn't sell many. I have a friend that has a bunch of them in his home and I have never smelled anything from them. Is there a web address or telephone number on the package? I would contact the company and see what they have to say. Wish I could have helped you more.

Bob
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

We use them but ours came in better packaging. I've never had that problem. Were there other options at the store maybe?

Sofi
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Do they contain mercury?
  6. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I may have to go out of my neighbourhood to find some that are packaged differently. I like the idea of getting LEDs too... maybe if i'm feeling rich in the near future.
  7. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

All florescents use a mercury vapor arc to create ultraviolet light. UV light then causes 3 types of phosphors to florese into red+green+blue which to our eyes looks white.

The newer packages don't get as hot so I haven't had anymore burned plastic. I would take your back and tell them they are defective. Burned plastic is a fire hazard. Scrubbing with a toothbrush won't help as its the ballast that gets too hot. The newer electronic ones run cool and don't flicker.

Blue + Green inhibit the pineal gland from making melatonin to help us sleep. The sun goes to shades of orange and reds at night and so should we. Yellowish-orange lamp shades help here.
  8. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand... what plastic got burned exactly? I don't think the bulbs have plastic components to them...what is a ballast?

Thanks,
    yellowbird
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Yellowbird.
    This isn't an answer to your question. I have one of my own: I heard that flourescent lighting is bad for the immune system. Have you heard that? Do you know if it's true?

I was wondering, becausel like you, I would like to help the environment, and I was thinking of changing my bulbs, when I remembered what a hard time I have in buildings with flourescent lighting. I have to use sunglasses,sometiimes. Then I remembered about the immune system (I have CFIDS, which is an auto immune disease). I'd be gratefl if you have any information.

Thanks, in advance,
    Terry
  10. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I really don't know. I have CFS too, the only problem I've had with fluorescent light bulbs is that when they get flickery I find it oppressive and get a headache. Not sure about the immune system though.
  11. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

bumping for allwxrider
  12. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

On the older bulbs that I've had, it was the plastic base of the bulb that got hot and especially as the bulb aged, it would turn brown and smell.

A ballast is a iron core with a thousand or so turns of copper wire on it. It restricts (impedance) the flow of electricity to the florescent tube. The ballast gets hot and hotter as the bulb ages.

The newer electronic versions work at very high frequencies so the flicker is gone and the ballast (transformer) uses very short pieces of wire so it runs very cool. They also have a thermal fuse so that if it does get hot, it turns off permanently.

The bluer light of florescents to irritate us CFS/FM "ME" ppl. The flicker of older ballast type fixtures really irritate and can induce migraines.
  13. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member