Comparing colestid and cholestyramine, need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ahorsesoul, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I've been looking on information about colestide absorbing neurotoxins. I have not found anything so far. Anyone have any idea of where to look? I have googled my self silly and need help with new ideas. As far as I can tell they have different active ingredients.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Merck Manual wesite for cholestyramine. It should be under treatments for Liver disease.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Not finding anything that says colestid absorbs neurotoxin yet. I am thinking it reduces cholestrol like cholestyramine but not neurotoxins. Will keep looking.
  4. shazz

shazz New Member

My doc explained it to me like this:
    Colestipol is cholestyramine resin, only in tablet form instead of powder.
    I am not taking it for fibromyalgia but for bile dumping syndrome, a common problem after gall bladder surgery.
    They work the same as far as binding the excess bile and stoppint the unrelenting diarrhea that sometimes occurs after losing the storage unit (gallbladder) for bile.
    He just asked if I would rather drink a powdered mix or take tablets, it was up to me. I chose the tablets.
    Be aware though, they are HUGE, so if you have any problems swallowing pills this may not be the choice for you.
    I would ask a doctor if there is any difference in the effect on fibro.
    I have not noticed any improvement in fibro symptoms but maybe the does needs to be much higher? My script is for 2 1 gram tablets twice daily, but I found I do just fine on only 2 tablets per day for my problem.
    I don't know if this helps any but maybe searching under the other name may help you find some more information.

Hugs
  5. beckster

beckster New Member

and others that Dr. Shoemaker says the cholestyramine can help cfids patients BUT there is a caveat. If you have untreated lyme disease (like a lot of us do) or untreated
    coagulase negative staph the cholestyramine won't help until these things are cleared. Have a good evening.