Compression stockings for RLS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Mar 3, 2007.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I never knew these things existed!

When I lived at my parents house I used to always ask my Dad to sit on my legs when they would start acting up at night because it seemed to help someone with that creepy-crawly, achy feeling...my only problem is obviously that I couldnt move my legs when he would do this!

So my RLS has been acting up really bad lately...and I mean its been bothering me all thru the day and night. Usually they only bother me at night. What gives?!

Anywho...I decided to go on the internet to see if I could find out if there were any ways (besides marching around my house like a soldier LOL) to ease the RLS.

I stumbled upon wikipedia, which I goto quite often and they recommended compression stockings, ace bandages or tight pantyhose.

I searched compression stockings and found they do exist and asked my rheumy about them and ordered a pair. They have made all the difference in the world! The RLS is gone. (Im also on Mirapex for RLS) They are my 2 little miracles. They look just like knee high tights.

If only I had known about these sooner! I just wanted to share this with all of you incase anyone is having problems with RLS...these actually work!

Hugs,
    steph
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

will have to give this a try. My mom had to use them at work as she stood a lot and due to getting Blood clots but never thought of using them for rls. Thnk you again for sharing.
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I purchased a set of muler calf supports (neoprene with velcro straps) that have really helped me with this and with the pain I get in my calves.
    Best of luck
    Mini
  4. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I used to work for a company....BSN-Medical "Jobst". They make compression stockings. Some of their items are sold on a website for Vermont Country Store. You may want to speak with your doctor about which level of compression is right for you, as they do have a medical effect. However a mild 8-15 compression shouldn't do any harm.

To learn more about compression stockings go on to
    http://www.jobst-usa.com/

I wear a mild support sock called Sensifoot. They are comfortable and look just like any other sock. For dressier outfits I wear a trouser like sock called UltraSheer.

Hope this information helps ! Elizajane