Computer folks, I need ya

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Apr 10, 2007.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Although I've been able to manage the corrections so far, my 'A' key is getting stuck and it's getting harder and harder to type.

I've cleaned my laptop's keyboard with a spray of pressurized air but it didn't help at all.

Nothing's spilled on the keyboard, and it's only about a year or so old.

Any ideas? My posts are going to look pretty interesting if this gets any worse.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

You have a little bugger or sumpin down in there...Ha ha ha. No, only joking. Some of the older boards used to come apart and were very easy to clean. One that I just trashed couldn't be cleaned though.

Someone may have told the manufacturers and they re-designed them so you had to toss them when you spilled a cup of coffee on it.

If it won't come apart easily, or if you feel uncomfortable in trying to take it apart, get you a can of WD-40 and put the applicator in the nozzle hole (stick the tiny red plastic tube into the spray hole). Have someone hold your keyboard upside down so none of the oil will drip/drain down into the electronic circuits and possibly short them out.

Now try to lift up on the key (pull down on the key because you have it upside down) as high as you can and direct a short blast of oil into this area.

Make sure you leave your keyboard upside down but work the failing key vigorously...This will loosen any who who down in there, maybe.

A lubricant is good but you can use anything that you can spray like lysol, or put a little alcohol in a small spray bottle and spray the key while pulling down.

Just keep it upside down until whatever you sprayed in there has had time to come out.

The key you touch is pushing down on a little round piece of graphite/something other blend that causes a circuit to be completed. Before doing anything pick it up and whack it good from the backside of the A or failing key. You may dislodge a biscuit or something :)

Good luck and if you kill it, please don't blame me :{

Andy

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'll give it a try...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hey did you try it?
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

We've been so busy with the moving that it just escaped my mind. I'm not on the computer much right now....trying to pack up my entire 6 level house for the move on Thursday.

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner...

Hugs,

Nancy B