Computer HELP/Regarding old HD diskettes for backup files!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am so frustrated. I got a new computer and my old one rather died shall we say or was hit with viruses, etc. It was not a very new computer to say the least.

My big problem is that my Family Tree Maker files have disappeared and I cannot find them anywhere on the new computer. I was so upset to have to put alot of it back in again to another FTM. Our son who works with computers every day did the transferring for me of the computer information. When I was lying in bed last night I remembered that I had some or thought I did anyway, old FTM HD disketteS that might have at least some of the old files, not completed but at least some of them so I wouldn't have to spend quite so long re doing them all again.

The problem is where could I bring them to possibly have them put onto a regular CD so I hopefully could put the information back on my computer again.

I know these HD diskettes are old and hope they are not obsolete and can be opened, copied, and put into a new CD so I can pur it back into my computer. Any help anyone couod give me on this would be very helpful and much appreciated. These diskettees are for sure not completed with all the correct info but it would be a good start for me again. The thought of doing it all again is terribly frustrating and tiring already.

Any help or ideas of where to start would be most appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hugs and blessings,
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I don't have an answer but am interested in the same thing. I do know when I had a virus tmy computer they were able to retrieve all the files.

However, I have another computer that died several years ago and would love to get the pictures off of the hard drive?

I have been thinking of calling the people who have worked on my computer in the past and see how expensive it would be.

ETA I have seen advertisement of places that will back up all your files while your computer is working but have no idea if that would be safe.[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2009]
  3. Granniluvsu

4. Granniluvsu

I already thought of that and a friend of mine may be able to help me. Thanks again for posting, I thought of a cojputer store too if all else fails.

5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

There's a company called that converts floppys to CD's for about five bucks each. Check it out; hopefully they can help you for a marginal charge. have them do only one, and see if your satisfied before you submit the rest.

6. Juloo

Juloo Member

Not a chain -- just a local business run by a couple of guys that do a good job. I say this because we have a wonderful little shop in our town, and I would swear that these guys have every piece of defunct technology they can get their hands on just for this type of situation.