computer induced seizures??????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Sep 1, 2003.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

Yesterday I woke and felt pretty good. Was planning on doing several things and looking foreword to having a good day in the upright position. About 2 hrs after getting up I sat down at the computer for about 10 minutes and with a couple of minutes could feel this overwhelming fatigue and paralyzing stupor stage set in. I could move but it took so much effort. Went to bed for 2 hrs, slept hard, woke and never recovered from the dazed foggy state of being. I have said many times befor that sitting at the computer for 10 min was my max cuz it puts me to sleep but something about how quickly and dramatic the change was yesterday set off a bell.

I had a complete neuro work up with cat scan, dye and strobe lights and they said my brain functioned perfectly normal. Any thoughts about this and what direction to go for answers?
  2. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

Dont know what to tell you, but this is why I like my web tv. It is hooked up to your tv, and you dont have to sit in front of a computer. I sit in the recliner on the other side of the room, with the key board in my lap. I wouldn't want to be by a computer all day not knowing what it may, be doing to you. Hope you are feeling better now.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

because even my supportive GP finds it hard to understand. Watching the TV is even worse but mine is very old. Sure it has somethng to do with the flicker.

As you said it hits so quickly.

I've not had any tests to check all this out, in the UK they rarely check for anything if you have a diagnosis of ME/CFS, so i will be watching this post with interest.

Love

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2003]
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

I have no trouble with the tv but have suffered from road hypnotism all my life. The older I get the shorter time I can spend behind the wheel before feeling like I will fall asleep.

My problem with the computer, I think, has to do with the very faint constant flicker of the screen itself. I think most people dont ever notice it but it does flicker sort of like an flourescent bulb. Those flashing ads or our dancing icons will make me more than uptight and agitated but Im not sure its the same thing.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney believes we are in a slight seizure state all the time and this is what produces sensory overload. I cannot tolerate flashing lights or signs. Monitors flicker as they screen refreshes itself. There is a way to make this stop by adjusting the frequency of refreshing, but I do not know how to do it. Someone here probably does.

I have been using my laptop more and more since I got wi-fi and I can use it anywhere in my condo or even over at the pool. The laptops have a plasma screen which does not flicker and it is much more pleasant to use.

Read Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin in our library; it explains how these little seizures produce a whole bunch of our symptoms. It's an excellent article.

Love, Mikie
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

thanks for the tec info. I do notice it seems to be more noticable some time than others and I am definately more sensative in the am than the pm. Plasma screen - hummmmm!!!!
    Will look into this and see if you can buy them for you regular computer. Cant really afford it but will check it out one day.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do believe the flat screen plasma monitors are available for PC's. It may be just as economical to buy a laptop; I don't know for sure. If your computer is older, a new monitor may not work well, but I think it is usually the other way around. I'm not the most computer savvy. I do know that in the meantime, someone who is savvy can adjust the refresh time on the screen you have so it doesn't flicker as noticibly. There is no doubt a tradeoff for doing this, though, so if someone does this for you, ask about the tradeoff first.

Marilyn is savvy about these things. Also, there is customer service for your computer. They will usually walk you through it. Most C/S is not in India, so it may be difficult to understand the accent. People in India usually speak excellent English and are highly educated and technically knowledgeable.

We have a guy here who writes a column in the local newspaper and holds seminars. He will help anyone who asks. You may see whether there is local help available from the community. Just be careful as someone who isn't knowledgeable can mess up your computer. Also, they can hack into you, so just be careful and only use a trustworthy source.

Love, Mikie
  8. kgg

kgg New Member

My son and I both are sensitive. I know this sounds like voodoo, but a naturalpath tested him on a play station, TV, and a cell phone and he was weak on all three. The monitor on his desk was causing his problem. We got rid of that and bought a flat screen monitor. The doc told us to set two magnets on each side of the desk in front of the monitor to protect from it. Don't put it on the screen it will wipe it out. Anyway, that's our experience with this. -Karen
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Computers put out tons of pos. ions and this in itself can make us feel horrible. I have a neg. ionizer/air cleaner near my computer to offset the pos. ions.

Love, Mikie
  10. beckster

beckster New Member

than the "slight seizure state" that Dr. Cheney talks about (as Mikie said). I was watching TV one day and the creepy-
    crawley (my term for closed-captioned) said that seizures are triggered in children using computers. Sorry, don't know anything more; those captions are usually only a sentence long! I also know from experience
    with my dogs who have had seizures that they sleep hard after a seizure.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2003]
  11. Notonline

Notonline New Member

monitor refresh rate can provoke seizures. Read something about setting the refresh rate to over 60hz is less likely to create problems?? You might pull up some info on Google about it.

Refresh rate can be adjusted by right-clicking on your desktop...under "display properties" you will need to click on your "settings" tab, then click on the "advanced" tab. Then click on the "adapter" tab, and select your refresh rate from the drop down box...click apply and OK and you should be set.

Your goal should be to set it just high enough to get rid of any noticable "flicker".

NOTE VERY IMPORTANT: Your monitor MUST be able to support a higher refresh rate...you can usually look up the stats in your owner's manual or search your monitor model on the web and find the stats...if you set your refresh rate for higher than your monitor will support...you CAN and WILL KILL it. Stats will usually read something like...example: 55hz-100hz refresh rate...100hz being the highest you could go for that monitor.

Take care
    Danny
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2003]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is good info. Appreciate your help.

Sometimes I am aware of the flicker on the PC and other times, I'm not. A lot depends on how tired I am. The same is true for wearing my monovision contact. If I am too tired, my brain just can't handle the extra workload.

Love, Mikie
  13. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i used to have an old computer and i gave it away because after 10 mins i felt drained and in half an hour i was on the floor.

i can access the internet now by using a friends laptop and this is fine unless i am very tired, i can stay on this for a couple of hours.

so i do understand this as well.

i have preferred to give my computer away rather than feel as terrible as i did with my old one.

pinkquartz
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

which I have copied and pasted. Problem is with TV also but don't know how to work round that one. I sit far away enough from the TV to avoid electromagnetic fields and like Sofy have problems with other visual triggers.

When I told a consultant this last year his answers were that HE didn't much like computers anyway so what did it matter, and that there's mostly rubbish on TV so it didn't matter either. He already knew about my sight/hearing problems and that I can't read books. Funny he couldn't come up with a suggestion as to what else I should do to fill in my times! I'm severely affected.

love

Tansy
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Refresh their screens much better than the old ones did and you do not get that flicker with them either. When mine kicked the bucket, I got a flatscreen HDTV job and it has made a huge difference.

Love, Mikie
  16. sofy

sofy New Member

Will look into the monitor settings. Right now all that info is just words but will print it out and the next time I have a bright cognitive moment will try and make some sense of it.

Anyway you have all told me there are things I can do to keep this from happening and that is empowering.

I told my endo dr. yesterday and his answer is to stay away from the computer. Wow why didnt I think of that

[ advertisement ]