Computer problems again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi everyone

The computer I was loaned is very close to reaching the end of it's useful life so I will only be around when I can either get it working temporarily or can fund a new one.

Aside from losing access to the internet and facilities like this it is hampering my UK advocacy work that is gaining momentum atm.

And think our govt is happy to believe chronic illness provides us with a secondary financial gain; as a graduate professional I'd be doing well financially instead of constantly having to juggle my limited financial resources as we all do.

tc, Tansy
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. And having this happen just as you're making progress with UK advocacy really is bad news!

I hope the computer fairy brings you a new one soon!

3. tansy

tansy New Member

with regard to my advocacy work; I really need to source research papers and articles. Though it's working on and off atm I cannot copy my files to a CD.

The person who loaned me this computer knew this would happen eventually and it's not considered financially viable to repair.

Yes I certainly need a computer fairy. When I have some time and energy to spare I will see if there are any options available to me.

tc, Tansy
  4. aftermath

aftermath New Member

My graduate degree is in computer info systems.

What you need to do is get a Windows CD (you can borrow one from someone) and re-install Windows. It will make the machine function as good as new (actually better, as you will be loading new drivers).

It's not a difficult process-you can find info on the Web on how to do it by searching Google.

The key is to first BACK UP EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE. You will lose everything when you format the drive.

Unless the problem is a broken part (less than 5% of cases), the results will be great.
  5. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Grant you a MacBook with wireless Internet and backup. Might as well wish big!

It just ridiculous that you should have to deal computer problems along with everything else.

I wish I could be of more help than just wishing.

6. tansy

tansy New Member

Yes I could really do with a computer that will last a while.

Spinetti that's a great wish; I used to do a lot of imaging so had hoped to get a Mac one day.

It's working for now so I have been able to keep the momentum going for a bit; I'd hate to see a good opportunity go to waste just because I don't have a reliable computer.

TC, Tansy
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

I'm not as computer literate as you.

Sadly there is a mechanical problem and the person who loaned it to me said it was not worthwhile me paying for a repair. He was amazed it lasted me this long.

So for now it's finger's crossed; not that will make my typing any worse ;-).

tc, Tansy
  8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Please don't go - you are so full of good information.

I hope you can get a new computer soon.

I applaud you on all you do for PWMEs. I don't know what you do and how you do it but I'm so proud of you and admire you very much.

Come back as soon as you can.

Take care.

Bunchy x
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Bunchy

It frustrates me when I feel doing more advocacy would help but due to past experience I can usually make what I do more efficient. It's those times I cannot communicate, and things look particularly bad here in the UK, that I feel like climbing the walls.

Thanks for your kind comments. It's actually easier than many realise but one has to be prepared to persist and stand one's ground. Over time it gets easier. I have some good people helping me with various projects. I've been pleasantly surprised by how many experienced professionals recognise the barriers we face and consequently they are happy to provide with me with essential background info.

The second stage of the Judicial Reviews of the NICE guidelines are not far away now; so keep your eyes open. If these are successful it won't change things immediately but it will help sow more seeds of doubt and give us another platform.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2008]
  10. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

Tansy, If you know your computer is going to die back up your files either get a Gmail account and send your self everything you wanna keep or use any other email service. I just had a hard drive die on me on Sunday. I know the pain. Lucky for me i didn't have much on the drive.
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

and it will make my documents easy to access. Sometimes we miss the simple solutions.

tc, Tansy
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

I have one on order. Unfortunately the computer fairy didn't pay me a visit but I managed to find a deal whereby I can pay for one in installments with a four year on site guarantee.

After having had computer problems on and off for years I decided going broke was worth it if it meant being sure I would not have a repeat of this problem for the next four years.

tc, Tansy
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Boy what a headache, eh?

My computer crashed last week and I had to have my hard drive replaced. The computer is less than two years old. I was lucky that I found someone recommended who was able to put in a new driver inexpensively. He was also able to save everything on the disc, whew!!

Good idea about sending things to an email account. I believe there are also programs that will back up your files and such. I think you can even backup your files online, but that may cost. Gee, do I actually sound like I might know what I am talking about. I don't, LOL!!

I thought I was going through withdrawal last week and I am not in your position where I need my computer for business. So sorry!!

I even went to the library to use the one there, I found that I had a $40 lost book fine from 1998, before I moved to Chicago. I just moved back.

Since I did not know how much the compuer was going to cost and with money low for the rest of the month, I was afraid if I paid for the lost book, I would not have enough money to get back the computer. Just like this illness, it is a catch-22!!

Our police department in conjunction with the sheriff and other town police departments, have an auction once a year, not only of confiscated items but sometimes have pretty good computers that are just being replaced.

Again good luck. You do so much.

Take care.