Computer problems, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Mar 1, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Lately when I run a google search, and click one of the results, I will get an advertisement, a lot from a site that sells things. Sorry, brain fart here. On the site it has what I am searching for but come up with the advertised results only.

I then hit the search button again and get the right search results.

Is this a new advertisement gimick? Could my computer have a virus? I did run my virus scan but it is a little out of date and to renew it would be expensive.

Also does anyone know of an inexpensive, effective virus protector.

2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

HI could be from a computer update, as the ads are getting out of control it seems...or hopefully not a virus.

If you can, try to set your computer back to before this started happening and see if that takes care of it.

I saw on another thread KJM (Kina) gave step by step instructions to do that...I think that is on the chit chat board and is Jaminhealth's thread...

Hope this helps...I've had problems w/ google lately too...frustrating!!!

BILLCAMO New Member

I'm no geek , but , I have some experience.

It could be a lot of things , individually , or in combination.

Do you have all the latest Microsoft/Windows updates ?

Do you have a pop-up blocker or more which are activated ?

Do you perform regular maintainance such as temp int and history files deletion , defrag , etc. ?

These are the basics.

AVG used to be the best free virus isn't any longer.

One of the best free ones now is Avira AntiVir Personal.

Windows Live One Care can help but can also cause problems.

One of the best malware programs is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Both of the above suggestions have been obtained from and I use them.

Webdefender can create some issues too.

AVG will likely discontinue their free version soon.

I'm really foggy tonight and that's the best I can do for now. You may want to check out give out free help there too. But , not everyone's advice there is gold.

Blessings ,

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, I learned a lot from these posts. I did install a virus protector but it was causing all sorts of problems. So I did a restore point.

I will have to look to see if the program it is really uninstalled. Unfortunately, I paid for this one, so I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. I am almost afraid to download it again, though it did catch some things that were quarantined.

It turned out the temporary files file was way over it's limit as well as some others. I had been deleting cookies by going to run, type in cookies and then manually deleting them. I knew there was another way but I could not figure it out.

That is the short story but you guys are a wealth of information.

Send me a virtual bill, LOL.

Again thanks.

BILLCAMO New Member

Zero , Nada , Zip , Nothing , and on & on !!!!!!! LOL :>)

As you clear out some your problems , you may find that an "uninstall" does NOT remove everything. Often it can take a more complicated "search & destroy" mission to clear all the "hidden things " out.

Most likely , clearing your temp & history files will make a big difference !

Surf in peace !

Blessings ,