Computer Problems (nothing new about that)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Apr 26, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, this will be a short message as the computer may crash any minute. The repair people from AT&T have been out half a dozen times in the last 4 months.

They do something. It works fine. Then, after anywhere from an hour to a week, the thing gets knocked off the internet and can't get on again.

In the meantime we had a flood and a kidnapped dog. Stay tuned for the next exciting installment.

Ha det bra

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'm going to bed I just wanted to say hi' then I saw all the trouble you're having and now I feel bad.

Did you use to have AOL? If not it doesn't really matter, I had a hell of a time getting them out of my system.
    Seems they installed themselves into almost every aspect of my PC.

I only hope this is not your problem.....I just wanted to say Hi Goodluck
    I'm worthless,
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you dont do things by halves. Whats happened with your poor wee dog????????????? And the flood????

Hope the wee dog is safe and you and Gordon are well.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

good to hear from you Rock,thought you had been kidnapped by Elliespads aliens.
    Looking forward to the next instalment already.
  5. rockgor

The computer is like me, or probably like a lot of us: better but not cured.

I can get on the internet, but it will not let me play bridge. And altho I sometimes get thrown off the internet, I can get back on.

Actually the problem is probably w/ the phone lines rather than w/ the computer per se.

AT&T installed a new phone line, made me buy a new modem, gave me another new modem, replaced that w/ another free modem, and tweaked this and that.

They are sending a team of 3 next week. If that doesn't work, I think I will just go back to the pre compter era where I spent most of my life anyway.

Rosie and Paul, the wee doggie is safe. He disappeared from a walled backyard w/ a locked gate. He turned up the next day on the front porch. Not too clear how he got there.

Gordon's mother heard him barking 12 hours before he was found, but being a (former and illegal) alien, she said nothing to Gordon. (His mother is a long unpleasant story.)

The flood was due to the neighbor's and their reckless bathtub abuse. I staggered out of bed because the smoke alarm was screaming and found it raining in the living room. New carpet is being installed Monday.

You know he famous Chinese curse. May you live in interesting times.

Dan, do you mean you are useless re: computer repairs? Well, who isn't? Even the repair people have been useless so far.

If you meant you were useless in general, that is your depression talking.

Linda, love the old radio programs. One thing about the Lone Ranger. You ever notice he was not "lone"? He had Tonto w/ him.

Thanks for your response, Kids. I posted the same message on the depression board and got zero replies. I have to tell myself folks there are just too ill to respond.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

so glad wee doggie is fine.

Sounds like my sons problems with bath and flooding, the landlord has yet to fix the leaking bath, the wood is rotten underneath and he is sending poor Khazaktan workers to fix things and they dont understand or speak a word of English.

The bath is going to go through the floor into the shop below, just hope my son isnt in it.

7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

How is everything going with your internet connection? As you are experiencing first hand, AT&T does not have a good business model for solving problems. I dealt with it when I still had dial up, and it's a huge annoyance. The repair folks are not typically equipped to solve problems that are beyond the most basic. Sometimes I think they are throwing darts and hoping one hits the bullseye.

I have dealt with the same issue fairly recently, so I might be able to help you out. My neighbor also works on phone lines and has shared some info with me which I can hopefully pass onto you. Also, I have some techie knowledge that I've picked up from my hubby who works at a computer company (I used to work at one too years ago, but not in a techie capacity). IE, I may have enough knowledge to either help or confuse---hopefully the former!

1. As a baseline, what kind of computer do you have and what year was it made? This probably won't matter much, but you never know, although many repair people's eyes glaze over when you mention a Mac.

2. I assume you have dial-up because you mentioned a modem?? (Please confirm.) Dial ups these days are much less effective for connecting to the internet these days---I can explain later. We had dial up for a long time too and realized that DSL was almost the same price.

3. Are you living in a city or town that is experiencing population growth, where they may be adding phone lines or interfering with phone lines?

The answer to these questions will help me think of next steps and the right questions you should ask the repair folks if you have more problems (which I hope you don't).

I also politely complained to AT&T's customer service about their inability to solve my repair issue in a timely manner and got my phone service comped for a month. They supposedly want to keep us's worth a shot!

All the best,

[This Message was Edited on 04/30/2007]
  8. rockgor

Thank you for your generous offer.

Today was a busy day. We had the carpet layers here and a team of 3 from AT&T.

During the last few months AT&T made us buy a modem (router), installed a new phone line, tweaked this and that, did some work at a distrubtion box several blocks away, gave us another router, did some fiddling around, gave us yet another router, installed a new port, etc.

I am now in the process of testing. Results are inconsistent so far. Got thrown off line w/in 2 minutes of getting on.

Gordon says if they can't fix it this time, we'll just go back to the way we lived most of our lives: sans computer.

The monitor is Dell, the keyboard is new. The tower has had several new memory boards etc. installed during the last year. We have DSL.

AT&T keeps saying, "Well, you get a lot of interference from that Mexican radio station."

When I was born we didn't have ball point pens or automatic transmissions.

When my father was born the country had no paved roads.

When my grandfather was born Lincoln was President.

So you see, I am not a child of the electronic age.

Hope things are good at your end.

9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sounds like you had quite a team assembled at your home yesterday!
    Hope the carpets are looking great. I'm hanging out with a stomach bug and doing whatever it takes to distract myself!

I TOTALLY understand that you don't feel like a tech wizard. Believe me, you are doing better than you think you are. I worked at a computer company (with the namesake of the computer you have) and knew basically nothing about computers. I couldn't figure out why they would want to hire me. You can pick up on how computers function faster than you think.

I'm glad AT&T has followed up with you a few times. That's good they aren't blowing you off entirely. A couple of things seem odd to me based on what you have described. Obviously I'm not a repair person that will ultimately be able to fix the problem. However, if I were in your shoes, based on what you have told me, I would ask AT&T a few more questions if your internet connection fails you.

1. *Ask AT&T for A LOT MORE DETAILS about the Mexican radio interference---ask them to "prove" it's happening because I don't see how it's plausible. (Reminds me of that song about being on a Mexican radio.) Rock, I gotta tell ya, that's VERY strange! If I'm understanding you correctly, that's AT&T's primary excuse for your internet connection failure? I also mentioned this scenario to my husband (who works at a computer company now). We both do not think this makes sense at all.

Radios and phone connections operate at different frequencies (actually, phones don't really operate on a "frequency" at all, and radio stations do.). They should not have any cross interference. Also, when you pick up your telephone, if there was any interference, you would hear it! I've had a lot of issues with my phone because I live in a rapidly growing area in which phone lines are often being added and/or worked on to accommodate the onslaught of population. I've heard "interference" with my phone, and when that happens, I can actually hear other people's phone converations.

Therefore, based on the two things I've said---that radios and phones operate at different frequencies and that you would be able to hear cross interference, what AT&T is saying about interference from the Mexican radio is completely illogical. If this was even true, I would think other neighbors would be hearing it also. I'd check with a few neighbors! Stranger things have happened, but the bottom line is that it seems very unlikely and I'd make AT&T prove it.

2. #1 was the main oddity, however the other thing that's weird to me is that you mentioned that you've been kicked offline after about two minutes. What confuses me is that with DSL you're supposed to always be online and have continuous internet access. There could be many reasons for that though, given all of the work AT&T has done for you, with the work they did at the distribution box, the new router, new phone line, etc.

Phone lines and wires are usually VERY OLD. That could be causing some of the madness. They just get old and worn out and therefore don't work as well as they used to. If you continue to have phone problems, you might ask AT&T to try putting your phone line on a different "PAIR". I don't know what that means exactly, but my neighbor works on phones, and he told me to do that when mine was having problems and it worked. It might be spelled "PEAR" or "PARE". AT&T will know what you're talking about and if it makes sense to do try it. Sometimes "pairs" get worn out or they have too many other phone lines on them.

That's all I can think of at this point. I hope this helps you out a little bit. Maybe you should have a little fun with the AT&T people and tell them you heard that the Mexican radio got shut down due to lack of funding.....I'd love to see the reaction.

When I was born, we were just starting to land people on the moon. Shouldn't computers be easier? You'd think. Let me know how it goes.

All well to you,

10. rockgor

We have a standard and much-beloved joke at 12 step meetings. As you probably know, people always start by saying, "Hi, my name is _____, and I'm an alcoholic, or powerless over my emotions, or an addict or whatever."

But somtimes people who have already shared will say, "Hi, Im still Henry" at which point everyone says, "Hi, Still Henry." Haha

Anyway I don't know where the much maligned radio station is. Some radio stations have towers that stick up hundreds of feet in the air. Can't see anything like that around here.

We used to hear the radio on the phone lines until a filter was installed. Sometimes, usually during the winter, the pipes in the walls (!) pick up the broadcast, greatly muted, in the middle of the night.

You're right. There are things called pairs. The tech man told his he experimented w/ several pairs.

Speaking of space, I heard on TV that the computer in the space shuttle is the one originally installed. That doesn't make any sense to me. Why wouldn't it have been updated. I'm sure if we can update our computer for $100, the govt. could do the same for 30 or 40 million.

Anyway the joy and convenience of the computer are equaled (for me) by the frustration of all the technical problems.

We will see what happens next.

11. larryh

larryh New Member

If they can't fix it you might consider trying cable internet instead. Only problem there is you usually have to purchase cable TV also. I can sympathize with you. It took Qwest nearly 9 months to get my DSL working consistently.

12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

If I say: you sound great! Is that like saying, you look healthy? You do sound great, though! Honora always said you were THE WIT on the board! And, so you are!

My word, I started reading this thread and my mouth fell open when I read about the kidnapped dog! Then it started raining in the living room all over the dead computer and the MIL was hiding in the closet so that the barking wouldn't alert the authorities and, well, you gave me quite the ride!

I'm so relieved to find that all is getting sorted! What a time!

Please don't go back to being unwired!!! I'd really miss ya!

Much loving kindness all over your sweet self!

PS My modem has come down with something, too! It must be catching! Modem fatigue disorder?

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2007]
  13. rockgor

Just woke up from, well, not exactly a nap. More like a semi-conscious stupor.

Honora is right, Rifiki. I am the half wit of the board. If my Alzheimer's gets any worse I'm running for President. Tell Honora I miss her muchly.

Hi, Larry. Still doing all that snapping and Painting? Just got an e mail from my aunt in Rochester. They have set the date for the family reunion. Rather doubt I'll go this year.

A trip for just a few days costs thousands of dollars and travel is so unpleasant now.

Hi Carla nl. The tax season over for you too? Haven't heard too much from you lately.

There are some good bridge players from the Netherlands. Of course they are on the board when it's the middle of the night over here.

Just tried to play some bridge w/ my new hookup. I won a trick, led a card, and was then thrown out! Grrrrrr!

I see in the news the CEO of AT&T is retiring this month. No doubt he'll walk away w/ millions. Americans have lost all common sense and sense of decency.

This was the first country where the top 2% didn't swallow up all the wealth. We have been doing our best to destroy the middle class for the last 4 decades.

Well, I must go feed the feral cats next door. Poor things. We went to the pound the other day to look for our missing Chester. It is just heart-breaking to see all those poor animals.

Big gentle hugs to everydobby.

14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm beginning to scare myself sounding too much like an animal shelter worker but have the feral cats been neutered?

Here we have a TNR (trap, neuter, release - back where they were if there's shelter and someone to feed them) and I can't imagine that LA doesn't have one too. You just have to do is call them and they'll come trap the cats, neuter them and bring them back to your neighborhood.

It's very good not to encourage more cats who will breed, spread disease and get in the garbage.

Just a thought if you feel up to it.

P.S. I hope you have a working computer with which to read these!

Marta[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

The other day, when I took my dog out for an empty, I met some very nice people who have just opened a store on my street. They are from a far away country which I have visited and we were talking about how long they had been here. Then, I started to tell them how long I've been here.

Me: I've been here... ahhh...

Them: Yes?

Me: Uhm, well... (I'm madly trying to do the math in my head!)

Them, looking increasing bemused: Yes.

Me, desperately trying to deduct 4 (the age I was when we emigrated) from 2006 and plunged into confusion because I don't think that's how to work it out because that would make me 2002 years old: uhm... ha, ahhh...

Them, helpfully: Were you a child?

Me, wishing it was 2007 because I feel sure it would, somehow, be easier to work out if it were:
    Yes! I was a child! Uhm, ah... Well, in 2007 it will be... wait! what year is this?!

Them, laughing: 2007.

Me, everything slowly oozing together in my head: Oh, well then, 50 years!

So, my dear friend, if you feel you've lost some marbles, I sure don't have them!

It is my fondest wish to be half as clever and 1/4 as witty as my dear Rock.

Honora adores you!

Again, much loving kindness all over your sweet, clever, witty self!

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]
  16. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Actually that makes perfect sense because rocks don't move much.

That is goofy re: the Mexican music---from the pipes picking it up to you hearing it more in the winter. Very mysterioso.

Oh yeah, re: the computer in the space shuttle being the one originally installed....computers work differently in space so they don't need upgrading as often. With all of the time travel, the computer thinks that it is virtually brand new when in fact it's very old.

I can't imagine how that computer is the original one. At the very least, NASA would HAVE to have replaced parts inside of it because they just aren't made to last. I'm sure NASA is competing with several other government programs for moolah to stay aspace/afloat. It's got to be challenging.

I know the computer problems are very frustrating. Hopefully though (knock on wood) you've been through the worst of it for awhile.

Changing the subject, did I read that your kitty went missing? Goodness gracious. I hope you find him. I'm the biggest cat lover on the planet.

Rock the Casba (my friend and I love that song---we often end our emails with that!)

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]