Concentration, learning slow?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I started a new job last week, that I hope will last, and that I can handle and keep. I like the job very much.

I was in training last week. I noticed how I learn more slow, how much longer it takes to "get it" My concentration was low so I had to write alot of notes.

Before the dianosis, I used to be such a quick learner, easy grasp things being taught. Now, it is so frustrating to me, my mind isnt as sharp as it used to be.

I have been sleeping alot, recovering from last week. I didnt really notice symptoms like flare symptoms until Friday, which isnt too bad.

Anyone else experience, like low concentraion problems,memory, learning at a slower pace, since Fibro, or any other DD's came on?

And ideas on how to grasp things better?

Peace~Sunshyne
  2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I started a new job last week, that I hope will last, and that I can handle and keep. I like the job very much.

I was in training last week. I noticed how I learn more slow, how much longer it takes to "get it" My concentration was low so I had to write alot of notes.

Before the dianosis, I used to be such a quick learner, easy grasp things being taught. Now, it is so frustrating to me, my mind isnt as sharp as it used to be.

I have been sleeping alot, recovering from last week. I didnt really notice symptoms like flare symptoms until Friday, which isnt too bad.

Anyone else experience, like low concentraion problems,memory, learning at a slower pace, since Fibro, or any other DD's came on?

And ideas on how to grasp things better?

Peace~Sunshyne
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I understand completely, the last job I had I was lucky that my boss didn't mind me asking the same questions over and over. It is very frustrating, especially if you have always been a quick learner. If you are working with a computer, I always kept a notepad with answers to some of the questions I would have to ask over and over. Just called it Cindy's Notes and other people in the office started using them as well. That is about the only suggestion I can give you. Hang in there, I give you alot of credit. I don't think, no I know that I wouldn't be able to hold down a job right now. Between the drugs and the pain I wouldn't be any good to anyone. Can you imagine, I am a Bookkeeper, I sure wouldn't want me keeping my books.
    It sounds like you will do fine. Hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Good Luck
    Cindy
  4. caring

caring New Member

I have had this all my life and notepad in hand is a way to help remember things. Repeating out loud what you are being told is another.

The acceptance of this is what has gotten better for me with age. Humor is a really good way to keep people from looking at you like you've lost it. :)

Blessings
    pat
  5. xanderlee

xanderlee New Member

For me this was one of the first signs something was wrong...normally an avid bookreader, I was giving up after half a page...either forgotten what I had read or just couldnt concentrate enough to get interested. I am also half way through a science honours degree...
    I have tried taking time out, (a year) but to no avail...now I try to study when up to it and dont even bother trying on the bad days. I only get angry with myself...I have also tried to take small notes to get me through the day..only to forget what the shorthand is for!!!
    I have discovered that there is only humour left to stop people thinking I am mad..I have 'blonde' moments..though would not be impressed if any one else said it too me, and just try to think of jokes to get me out of it...
    Try to be patient with yourself...if you stress out about it you will only make it worse..
    Congratulations on your new job
    gaynor
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Sunshyne,
    I too, have difficulty with concentration, memory, and retaining new things learned. I think the list, idea...is a good one. I have lists for most of my chores now....its important to keep them in the EXACT same place, lol...as early on, I would move them, and lose my "remembering lists", lol. Sometimes it is frustrating, I know, as people give weird looks when you ask something for the tenth time....but I just laugh, and make a joke about myself. Humor is the key! One of my biggest problems is putting words in sentences that dont even apply....to the subject, losing words completely, or adding strange prefixes or suffixes to words.....that gets you some real nutty looks. Usually it gives me the giggles...which makes me appear even nuttier!
    Youll do fine at your new job!
    Karen
  7. eeyore

eeyore New Member

I'M GOING FOR A JOB INTERVIEW TOMORROW AND THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS I'M WORRIED ABOUT, ALONG WITH MY ENERGY LEVEL. I'M AFRAID I'LL BE FORGETTING THINGS AND LIKE YOU SAID SLOW TO PICK UP THINGS,I HAVE A HARD ENOUGH AT HOME TRYING TO REMEMBER WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR AND WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW JOB AT LEAST YOU KNOW YOUR NOT ALONE.
  8. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

And the understanding, I dont feel so alone, and crazy now.

Thanks!
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

oh yeah........................
    My husband thinks I'm imagining this, but I KNOW I'm not. I thought it was just menopause for a long time, but it has to be more than that! I work in an Alzheimer's Unit...talk about feeling paranoid..............