Concerned about my 7 year old advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Sep 19, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Last year I heard this very thing from Matthew's teacher.
    He often seem "far away someplace else" in his mind. He completes tasks late or sometimes not at all. He is very good at reading and math.

He is physically a little weaker than I would expect from a 7 year old, although he is husky like his father was. He had a period when he was younger where spinning playground toys made he very uncomfortable.

The past couple of months he has displayed pain (like when leaning over to push his sister in a cart) and said his back hurt and he had to stop (after 2 minutes. Other times he have been ok to do it. He has also said his legs hurt at times, and he hurt when sitting in the same position for a while.

He have photophobia especially in the morning where his eyes hurt when the light is on. His eyes seem dry and bothered then.

It seem quite difficult for him to wake up in the morning.

When I lived in SD we lived in an area where deer constantly passed the house in large groups. At age 3 or so, I discovered a deer tick in his scalp. I knew little about ticks and the like back then since I come from a country who deal very little with lyme etc.

Because of this I can't account for the time following then, if he got sick close to that, he might have but I have not connected it to the tick bite.

Fevers have always bothered him, even if he got a fever from a cold, he will vomit from the temperature (even lower grades) which seem to me to be a neurological reaction.

I am starting to think Lyme, and I would like to hear your input on this.

He is very happy when home, talk alot and plays well with his sister. he has a buddy next door that he plays with alot. In the summer he seem heat sensitive (not as bad as me) but quite a bit for being a small child. I incourage drinking lots of water, of course.

He has a heart murmur that has not grown away, an ultrasound about 18 months ago showed that the murmur was not significant and he would be ok. heart murmurs can change as you grow older, but I doubt that is the problem here.

I've been as throughout as I can, I hope I can get some ideas or experiences similar to mine.

many thanks!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Have you taken him to his pediatrician for full blood work up? How long has this been going on? I have a seven yr. old boy also.:) Just want to know if you have had anything ruled out yet? Kim
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have just gotten a new ped. The old one was the same doc that misdiagnosed me with RA (butt). I have had no significant stuff to go on until I connected the dots. The consentration problems was discovered in 1st grade, that was the same time my ex. husband hurt and dissapointed him greatly by not caring an iota for him and disaspearing, so I assumed depression. he went to couseling, but this doesn't really seem a likely cause to me.

I have not connected his other problems with the consentration and foggy attention, but if I do connect the dots (after reading up on Lyme, CFS etc) it could accually be related. I have not had it evaluated, but since my idea of lyme is so new, I want to ask others before I sit down and discuss it with his ped. I have of course set an appointment with him.
  4. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

WIth a history of a deer tick and all of these symptoms I would go to a lyme literate doctor.

Google lymenet dot org. Go to the flash discussion forum. Lots of lyme inforamtion. Google openeyepictures lyme. There are great lyme links there too.

Don't wait to look into this. Lyme is very serious.

Hope this helps.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lena, these sound like a lot of unusual complaints for a 7-year old...just too many things to ignore. If it were me, I would seek out a physician or naturopath who is knowledgeable about lyme. Before the appt. make a list of his symptoms with dates, frequency, triggers and also list unusual behavior. I agree with you that a heart murmur probably shouldn't be causing all these problems.

Lena, don't wait any longer. He might be feeling worse you think. Sometimes children will keep on going and are more resilient than adults.

Lolalee
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Redsox10 and others- thank you so much for all help and suggestions.

I went to openeyepictures and was stunned. I didn't know Lyme patients had as bad experiences as FM and CFS patients with recognition of this DD.

I am getting SOOO tired of the medical system.

See one page I found, for others to see. Put our arrow across the pics to read.

http://www.openeyepictures.com/underourskin/uos_faces.html
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

As a suggestion, Victoria has a Post going tonite and
    is very knowledgeable on the subjest of Lyme. You
    might "click in" and get her attention as I'm sure she
    would be happy to give you some insight. My 29 y.o.
    Daughter has Lyme and it can be very serious if not
    addressed.

You're a good Mom! My computer is still smokin' from Pic
    your rock'N roll Days!!

MRDAD
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am not waiting, I have an appointment already set up.

hugs!
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks, I'll check her post (Victoria).

I am sorry about the smokin' puter, I hope your house has open windows til the complications subside,,,LOL! Really, I think it's just because it's a Mac.
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have windows on my 'puter. Mmmmm.

Recently I was listening to a computer tech on radio and he was asked of the various silly questions or problems folks called about.

My favorite was "My cup holder is broken on my computer, I would like to replace it with another one".....LOL....

Smile...............Susan
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I fairly new to computers so I'm still learning! After

I gave up my old black rotary phone my Kids decided

that I should move on in the World of technology. They

brought me this old iMac and it's been great with one

exception. After a couple of hours, it begins to feel

very heavy on my lap!! Starting to get use to it now.

Good nite Lena, good nite Sue, goodnite Ellen, goodnite

Billy Bob, goodnite Johnboy, goodnite Grandpa, goodnite

Grandpa, goodnite Grand---pa?? Grandpa??---GRAND---PA---

---- Oh, O-o-o-h !! MRDAD
  12. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Your welcome Lena.

I have a 26 and 17 year old being treated for lyme. My 17 year old was daignosed with CFS before her Lyme diagnosis. She was ill for 2 years before we started the Lyme treatment.

If you go to lymenet you will be able to find a doctor that can help. Make sure you see a lyme specialsit. I can not stress enough with the hirtory of the tic bite please act on this right away. If you sign up on lymenet send me a private message. My user name is fatigued15 on lymenet.

I love your picture!!!

13. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Oh great, redsox! As I wake up some and my daughter let go of my ankle, I'll sign up on lymenet.

Arf! That pic was my "remember the 80's! I think I need to replace it soon.

Yaaaawwwwnnnn,

Lena
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Don't make me laugh so early in the morning,,, I'm huuuurting!

How's grandpa?

Lena
  15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

YOUR QUESTION: How's Grandpa??

ANSWER: We're making the "arrangements" this afternoon.

MRDAD
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm probably going to make someone angry but I say have him checked for Lyme, make sure he's getting enough rest and exercise, even have him checked for food allergies if you think it's needed, then let him be a boy. I assume he has yearly physicals and that his doctor is aware of your concerns. Kids can pick up our anxiety about them and become anxious themselves. Be careful that your concerns about your health aren't affecting your view of this sweet boy.

(I have a Matthew too and he's also sweet but much older. ;>)

Good luck, Mom.

Marta
  17. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Yeah, Hayley, I have had my suspicions. All I can do is keep an eye on things, help him where he needs help and keep him busy. I let him rest when he needs to. I am so dissapointed at the medical community. I dread the thought of going to docs that are ignorant about CFS, Lyme, FM. Bah! It's harder out here in the woods, and Medicaid is limited in options as it is.

Someone mentioned letting him be a child. I am good at this, I handle all this well, I was sick as a child and was treated no different than anyone else. My needs was taken care of, nonone spoke about illness or health. I am doing the same, no worries. I am a good liar,,,LOL!