Concerned delayed food allergy diet will cause weight loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Apr 12, 2007.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I am thin and have heard from this message board that the delayed food allergy diet helps many FMS patients with pain and stiffness. I want to give it a try, but it limits me to foods which, I am concerned will cause weight loss. I weigh 120, 5'3". I look sickly when I even loose 10 lbs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best wishes.
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

If you think the diet will help you than it couldn't hurt to give it a try. If you feel you are losing too much weight you can always adjust it to suit your needs.

I too was concerned about weight loss when I decided to become vegan 2 1/2 years ago in order to help with my CFS. I was 5'2 and 115 pounds when I started and felt I didn't have much weight to lose.

I did end up losing 10 pounds over the first couple of months and I was scared about the weight loss. My body did level itself off and I stopped losing weight.

I thought I would look too skinny and gross but I don't. I also made sure to check my weight and height to make sure I was at a normal weight. I think your body will regulate itself as long as you are eating a healthy diet.

There are tools online for height and weight that tell you if you are underweight. So you could keep track of things. I kept track of mine and at 5'2 & 105 pounds I am still in the normal range for my height and weight.

You could use those online tools to make sure that you stay in a healthy weight range and you could also work with a doctor or nutritionist if you need to.

I would give it a try. You can always stop or change the diet a bit if you need to.

Take Care,
    Pam<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007</i>]
  3. baanders

baanders New Member

Thank you again.

best wishes
  4. roge

roge Member

sorry no suggestions but might i say 120 pounds and 5 foot 3 is not thin if you ask me, seems a pretty normal and healthy weight for that height. even 110 pounds seems ok to me with your height. plus if being 110 pounds means you FEEL better, I would think that is more important that how you look, assuming you actually do look sickly at 110 pounds which I find hard to believe.

5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have been on the delayed food allergy diet for 6 weeks and have lost 11 pounds. I am 5'4" and now weigh 110 pounds. I feel so much better. It depends, of course, which foods you have to cut out of your diet, as to how many choices you have left. I found that it was very important to be open minded. Think of how many foods that there are in a large grocery store. Lots! There were many foods that I had never tried before. I started eating new things, and eating much healthier. No more high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, wheat, milk etc for me. I had to cut out 22 foods. I have been eating lots of different fruits and vegetables, a variety of dry roasted nuts, seeds, beans, and lots of different kinds of fish, plus pork, chicken and turkey. It was necessary for me to go back to eating lots of foods in their natural form, and no more processed foods and sauces, etc. I have always been a chocolate lover and today I was able to make chocolate cupcakes that were as good as the ones I used to eat, but didn't contain gluten or cane sugar. I go to my local health food/natural store and buy other kinds of flour, sweeteners etc. Remember that it is important not to limit yourself to a new but small variety of foods that you eat every day. That will only cause you to develop new delayed food allergies to those foods. Develop a variety of foods of every type...protein, oils, sweeteners, veggies, fruits, etc. and do a 4 day rotation. Eat a food as many times as you want in a day, but then don't eat it again for 4 days. Search the internet for recipes and use old recipes, substituting ingredients for things you can't eat. It does come down to how much a person is willing to sacrifice (foods) to try to get better. It hasn't been an easy 6 weeks, but worth it.
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had a problem with weight loss until I found out some "safe" foods for me. I eat alot of brown rice and garbanzo beans and lentils. They are high carbs and the beans and rice make a complete protein together. They give me absolutely no food intolerance problems. I eat these everyday and they keep me from losing too much weight.

good luck!

7. ILmom

ILmom New Member

I just wanted to share my experience with Sage Medical Laboratories, in case it helps anyone else out. I did the delayed food allergy testing through Sage and it came back saying I was supposedly allergic to 23 different things – many of them very common things (milk &amp; milk products, wheat, corn, gluten, soy, egg) and some of them things I never eat (such as saccharine, aspartame, and codfish). I strictly followed the 6 week total elimination diet, and had some improvement. However, it didn’t totally solve my issue (reflux). I addition, I dropped so much weight that I am now at an unhealthy level (from 114 lbs to just over 100 now). At the end of the 6 weeks, I didn’t strictly follow their method of reintroducing foods, though certain foods (milk and wheat) I continued to avoid. Six months later – frustrated that my root problem still persisted – I decided to redo the test to see if there was something new that I was allergic to that was causing the trouble.&lt;BR&gt;
    When I got that second test back, I realized that the supposed “science” behind this testing simply isn’t there. My new test showed that I supposedly had 26 allergies, but only ELEVEN of them were the ones on the last test! Somehow I was magically not allergic to TWELVE items, and suddenly allergic to FIFTEEN new items. Most telling, some of the new allergies were things that I hadn’t consumed in the last year (if ever) – such as crab and lobster! I contacted Sage to express how upset I was about the dramatically different results. They blamed the new allergies on the fact that I did not strictly follow the reintroduction instructions. When I pressed as to how that could possibly cause a new allergy to a food I haven’t consumed, the doctor admitted that the test isn’t perfect and can have “some” false positives. Nevertheless, they stand by their test and refused to refund my wasted money for the second test.&lt;BR&gt;
    I want to be clear that I don’t think the people at Sage are “evil” or just out to take your money. They were actually quite nice and the doctor spent a lot of time with me on the phone trying to justify their test. However, I just think that the science is just not solid enough, especially considering the high cost of the test and the even higher personal cost of trying to eliminate such a high number of things from your diet – many of which are probably perfectly safe for you to eat. You would be better off just trying to eliminate the most common triggers (such as milk, gluten, soy, egg and corn) for a few weeks and see if that makes you feel better. I didn’t ask, but I suspect that a high percentage of the Sage test results tell people they are allergic to some or all of those five items anyway). I hope this is helpful!&lt;BR&gt;