Concerning Anabolic Steroid posts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DawnR, Jun 10, 2003.

1. DawnR

DawnR New Member

Hello everyone...I came out of lurking when I saw some earlier posts about using anabolic steroids, thought maybe I could contribute. I have lupus (or so they say), FM, and a hereditary blood disorder called hereditary angioedema. In short, my blood complement levels are very, very abnormally low. I am 38, have had this since age 3, and it is throughout my family. Treatment for this disease is anabolic steroids, which I have been on for 4 years. The drug is Winstrol (generic stanazolol). Body builders refer to it as "Winni". My dose is very low, 2 mg five times per week, which has afforded me control of my hereditary angioedema attacks. As I understand it body builders use massive doses every day and maybe that is the difference but for me this particular drug at this dose has offered no positive effects on FM. Lupus diagnosed in 1995; the "lupus flare" that never went away began in 1999 so they've decided to call it FM. I had been on the anabolic steroids for 2 years prior to FM. The FM has only gotten worse for me. I have most of what everyone here suffers with: daily unrelenting joint/muscle pain, muscle twitching, burning joint pain, Raynaud's, fatigue, IBS, and my two worst symptoms a long list of cognitive dysfunctions and extreme unbelievable insomnia. Of note though, I had kidney problems with heavy proteinuria (rheumy said was from lupus). It was severe and recurrent but always responded to prednisone. Since being on anabolic steroids I have had no systemic symptoms of lupus. It seems to have a positive effect as far as lupus, but honestly I feel worse now than I ever did with the lupus flares. Then I had periods of remission, now every day is a battle even though doctors say it shouldn't be since lab tests, x-rays, sleep test, etc. are all normal. Speaking for myself, every time I think I'm on the brink of cracking the code of this DD through a new drug, new supplement, or new theory I research it to exhaustion only to end up right back where I started. This is only my experience with anabolic steroids & FM. As we know, we are all different. I don't know if this helps anyone but I wanted to share my experience.
    Dawn
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

as you may or may not know, I, too, take steroids for my chronic angioedema, urticaria, SLE and pain, but I don't take "anabolic" steroids, I take "cortico"steroids. (Prednisone, Decadron) There is a big difference. Is this what you mean? I hate the adverse effects I've experienced over the past thirty years of taking these drugs, but my pain is nearly completely gone when I'm using them. Good luck to you and I hope you continue to do well in your prescribed course of treatment!
    Love,
    kady
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

for Dawn
    Love,
    kady