Concerns About Water Exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 14, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know that water exercise (swimming, water-walking, etc.) is highly recommended for fibromyalgia. For MS (which I also have), too. I have two concerns.

First, I sometimes get very cold, even in a heated pool. I'm okay in a jacuzzi (which should be bad for my MS, but which makes me feel wonderful!), but in a swimming pool, I sometimes get so cold my teeth start chattering and my jaw tenses up, adding to my TMJ pain. And the last few times I actually tried to swim, my shoulders got evern more sore than usual, and I felt miserable. (I don't usually have access to a pool, and this was admittedly quite a while ago. But it kind of spooked me.)

My second concern is a little difficult for me to talk about, but I'll give it a try, since some others also may have similar worries. I have IBS. I also have MS, as noted previously. I get myoclonic jerking associated with my MS, which two neurologists have suggested might also be affecting my bowel. Also, my MS tends to provide very short notice regarding bowel and bladder needs. With MS, nature doesn't call; it screams! For all these reasons, I worry about having a sudden urge when I'm in the pool and not being able to reach a bathroom in time. I don't expect many others on this list to be contending with the MS part of my problem, but I know that IBS is common among people with fibromyalgia. Maybe what works for you could help me, too. How do you "protect yourself" against IBS problems when you use the pool for exercising?

--Laura R.M.

2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know that water exercise (swimming, water-walking, etc.) is highly recommended for fibromyalgia. For MS (which I also have), too. I have two concerns.

First, I sometimes get very cold, even in a heated pool. I'm okay in a jacuzzi (which should be bad for my MS, but which makes me feel wonderful!), but in a swimming pool, I sometimes get so cold my teeth start chattering and my jaw tenses up, adding to my TMJ pain. And the last few times I actually tried to swim, my shoulders got evern more sore than usual, and I felt miserable. (I don't usually have access to a pool, and this was admittedly quite a while ago. But it kind of spooked me.)

My second concern is a little difficult for me to talk about, but I'll give it a try, since some others also may have similar worries. I have IBS. I also have MS, as noted previously. I get myoclonic jerking associated with my MS, which two neurologists have suggested might also be affecting my bowel. Also, my MS tends to provide very short notice regarding bowel and bladder needs. With MS, nature doesn't call; it screams! For all these reasons, I worry about having a sudden urge when I'm in the pool and not being able to reach a bathroom in time. I don't expect many others on this list to be contending with the MS part of my problem, but I know that IBS is common among people with fibromyalgia. Maybe what works for you could help me, too. How do you "protect yourself" against IBS problems when you use the pool for exercising?

--Laura R.M.

3. allhart

allhart New Member

sounds like the pool thing is as much a promblem as a help
    maybe you should try something eles what i dont know,i take amodium ad before something like that but it may not help because of your ms,and sometimes it agervates ibs more hopefully someone eles will have a better answer,sorry i couldnt help
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I take the water therapy exercises on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The water is 88 degrees and I get cold, too. The last time I took these classes, I actually sweated while in the water, but no longer! The other women don't feel this way and I can't understand why a hot-natured woman like me can be cold in the water. The exercise isn't nearly as comfortable as it was when I was really warm and I hurt when I get out of the water and my teeth chatter. Then it hurts to remove the wet suit and get dressed and go outside and drive home. I'm not sure what to do about it because I NEED this exercise and water helps so much .....as long as I'm warm. Cold in any way hurts me.

Sorry I can't help!
    Kady
  5. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

but I use a intertube and in the beginning I could only hang there and barley made it 15 minutes even though it felt good to not feel like I had the flu but I do not have to use my arms and have gained great stregnth and toned up.I learned quick that no matter how bad I felt I always felt better in the pool.I use to get very cold also and I still get cold at first then after I start moving my legs around it goes away.I now go in the pool everyday for 30 minutes to a hour.I hope you find something that helps.Tracey
  6. sybil

sybil New Member

in a warm pool tomorrow,so i will let you know.

something you said about lack of control of bowel movements and passing water have sent alarm bells ringing for me.is this only a symptom of MS? because i have FMS,but have never been tested for MS and i have real problems with lack of bowel/bladder control,

sybilxxx
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

You asked whether bowel and bladder problems are symptomatic *only* of MS. I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure there are other conditions that can cause this, too. If you're concerned about it, you definitely should tell your doctor and have it checked out.

--Laura R.M.
  8. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I found a water aerobics class near my home that I go to
    in the evenings. I've only had four classes. The pool is
    heated. The next mronings I am almost too tired for work.
    Part of it is the fact I have to get to work before the sun is up and the class is over at 8:30PM. I found my greatest problem is with leg exercises. My right leg has always been weaker than the left. Seems despite the fact that water is supplying extra buoyancy, it aggrevates my leg more than walking on the ground.

I have bladder and bowel problems periodically.I spoke with my rheumatologist and he siad it just goes with the FMS. Somae days are better than others. Today my bladder was in overdrive. Tomorrow who knows.
  9. sybil

sybil New Member

thank you,
    i will have a word with my doctor.

i start hydrotherapy today!

sybilxxx
  10. fishfoto

fishfoto New Member

Laura-you might want to go to a Dive Shop- there are all kinds of what are referred to as "skins" for diving. They have thin ones for warm water, and also some w/ a thin layer of fleece inside for a bit more warmth. When I was diving I had several different ones and they were all very flexible. It might even help w/ your urgency issue because you would have coverage IF you had a problem. It might even enable you to wear protection underneath. If you don't have any shops nearby-try diversdiscount.com or leisurepro.com. Hope this helps---good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  11. Wuame

Wuame New Member

I'm no water exercise authority, but I have taught water aerobics for over two years. I've been doing water aerobics about three years. My doctor prescribed it as probably the only safe, or at least safest, exercise I could do. (Of course my medical insurance won't cover it, but that's another story). I liked it so much I started instructing parttime at the fitness center I go to. As an added bonus my membership is now free, by the way.

Of course this all depends on the individual, as with FM in general. I tried running, walking, jogging, treadmills, weights, stationary bikes, etc, and all were too painful. Even the water aerobics are painful sometimes, but a lot less and not usually.

Also, I'm always hot, but still I like a comfortable pool temp. Our fitness center says the standard for a regular pool is about 86 F. But I've also heard that some places have pools just for water exercises, and they are usually kept more like 88-90 F, but no hotter.

On the TMJ: Do you wear a mouth splint? (If not you could check with your dentist) Just wondering becuz that has virtually ended all my problems with it, and it was pretty bad for years.

As to IBS mine rarely gives me that kind of problems so I can't really relate. Hope you find some help with this, all of this.

Wuame
  12. JCharity

JCharity New Member

I have been doing water aerobics for about 3 months now along with regular physical therapy. The first place I went to did not help me at all. I found a new place and it has done wonders for me. When my doctor recommended water aerobics for me she said be sure that wherever you go that the water is at least 90-92 degrees. Anything cooler will do you more harm than good. My aerobics instructor also told me to pace myself and to go very slow while doing the exercises and to do stretching exercises first. I think the three key words here are........warm water, stretching and do exercises slowly. I have even taken off 20 lbs with doing it. I like that!! Hope this helps all of ya! God bless and hugz, Jenn
  13. sybil

sybil New Member

and it hurt like hell for about 4 days afterwards.
    i was so ill with the pain on the day after the session,i threw up.
    the pool is heated over 90 degrees,it is lovely and warm.while you are in the pool doing the exercises,it doesn't hurt as the water bears the weight of your body.but after,the pain was awful.
    but the other ladies who have FMS have been going there for ages,one of them over 12 months and they have only noticed small benefits from the exercises.they still are too sick to have jobs.
    i personally think you don't improve significantly with FMS,unless your doctor finds the cause and gives you appropriate treatments.
    i have had only blood tests done so far and up to now,no one seems to want to find out what has caused FMS for me,

sybilxxx