Concussion Conundrum

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hiya everyone.

So, a week ago at this very moment, I gave myself a concussion at the Haunted House that I work for. I was messing around with a new prop (which I had messed with before plenty of times) but something about it being just after midnight on Friday the 13th in a haunted house...

Anyway, to make a long story short, I landed on my head. Like, directly. On. My. Head. Didn't black out or suffer any sort of amnesia, just shouted a string of expletives that made everyone else there that night come running.

Thought I was okay. Didn't have my usual post-concussion reaction so I went home. 4 days later I wasn't feeling any better so I went to the ER. CAT scan was normal and the doctor didn't seem too worried, just sent me on my merry way with a pain killer. (which I didn't get filled because I'm scared of those things.)

Now, a week after the incident, I'm still having a constant headache, my neck is still killing me, and my lower back hurts something awful. I'm also having really bad dizzy spells that seem to increase in the evening. Some of you know that I've been trying to recover from overexertion in the end of May. I'm also at the moment without my digestive enzymes.

Why am I not getting any better?? They told me if I was still having the headaches by monday to go see my regular physician, but I thought I would be at least SOME better by now. What can I do to at least help me feel better? Ibuprofen only knocks me out, it doesn't touch the pain.
  2. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

Normally a concussion will resolve itself in 24 hours if it's not serious. I wonder, and this is gonna sound crazy, if you gave yourself whiplash. If it's possible for my best freind to get one from a frozen turkey falling from the frezer on to her neck, it's certainly possible that you may have sprained your neck by falling on your head (which is basically what whiplash is). It could be causing the dizziness, etc.

Have you been throwing up, lethargic (like not even talking when ppl are speaking to you, not just tired), sensitive to light? These are things they look for in a person with a concussion.

I would go ahead and make an appt. with your doc. Maybe he/she will have them do a cat scan, mri or x-ray to help figure out what is going on.

As for your lower back, it may be pulled muscles, remember we have less than well muscle tissue as FM patients. I'm not a doctor, but that's where I'd start.

Hope this helps,

3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I was wondering about that myself because of the way my neck has been hurting. I guess maybe I will go ahead and make an appointment with my doctor as I hadn't really thought about spinal injuries until today.

It would happen to me.

Ah well. Doctors are open on fridays. This is good I suppose.