Confession Time!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dobegood, Dec 18, 2002.

1. dobegood

dobegood New Member

Had JRA since birth.
    Had 45 surgeries.
    Spent 6 years of my life in the same hospital.
    Bionic woman, they call me!
    Been on every medication possible.
    Disabled.
    Crooked fingers.
    Crooked legs.
    Walk like a duck.

Well, confession time!
    I used to be one of the many people in this world with a "visable" disability who thought:

"What are you complaining about? Ha! It doesn't even show that you're sick"

and

"Stop complaining! There's nothing wrong with you"

and

"Haha! People with FM are not really sick and people with a similar diagnose is not sick either"

and

"Blablablablablablabla"

I confess I was wrong. I used to be too proud to admit I was wrong. I have changed. Much of my change has come these last 3-4 days, actually. My thoughts were mellowed before BUT it's after reading the messages on this Message Board, I've really come to understand that "being sick" has nothing to do with disability.

I apologise for past thoughts.
    Thank you!
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

What a wonderful post.

I was once told by a friend that he admired me because he knew I was in pain on a daily bases, but would rarely complaint because I didn’t want to sound like a complainer.

Now get this; he is HIV positive, has diabetes, and has hepatitis C. He made me cry because I always admired him and would think how does he do it? Living day after day with so many different problems and health issues?

He said to me that he could imagine living with so much pain everyday and how do I keep a smile on my face? I was blown away by the compassion this man offered to me it made me realize we all struggle and do what we need to get by.

Warm wishes