confused about headache?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, May 31, 2006.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

It all started a couple of weeks ago. I had such a bad headache that I had to go to the ER, because I could not stop vomiting. They did a CT scan and spinal tap, and everything was clear. They even checked for a sinus infection, but nothing showed up. I had another one shortly after that, but somehow survived it.

Then, yesterday, I spend the entire day outside in the sun. I made sure to wear lots of sunscreen, because I burn easily. I've gotten second degree burns from the sun before, and don't want to start out the summer on the wrong foot. Anyway, I also had one margarita while outside. I went inside and developed a headache and all of a sudden out of no where, felt extremely sleepy. I mean, so sleepy I just could not keep my eyes open. I've never had this happen to me while drinking, however, it's possible it could have been the alcohol. However, could it have been from being out in the sun? I didn't get burned since I really layered on the sunscreen.

After this happened, I layed down and closed my eyes. I don't even remember if I slept or not, but it just felt so good to lay down. It was this real heavy feeling that came over me, and I couldn't resist it. It felt like I was drugged up. Anyway, by the time I got home, the headache was so bad. I ended up taking 5 Advil in under an hour.

I guess I'm just wondering if it could be a migraine or a sinus infection. I know the two feel similar, and I've had a history of both. However, I've never had that real heavy, sleepy feeling come over me with either of them. And also, they tested me for a sinus infection via CT scan in the ER a few weeks back. It didn't show anything, but, the last time I had a sinus infection I had a CT scan while laying on my stomach. The one they did in the ER had me laying on my back. Is it possible they missed it? I guess I have a lot of questions. Not sure if I should go back to see my old neurologist, or have my primary doc do another CT scan.

Gentle hugs to all,
    Kim
  2. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I have never been able to drink even a beer or a glass of wine after/while being in the sun.

The heat and the sun alone usually makes me quite ill, so I usually avoid it at all costs.

I think you should at least call your primary physician, just in case.
  3. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

I think you should get this checked just in case - it honestly could be from quite a few things.
    For me that's just one of my FM symptoms - I would get a headache, sometimes but not always a migraine and coming off the end of the headache I would have an overwhelming need to sleep; I used to say it felt the way you might feel if you took a whole bunch of cold or allergy medicine...and there was no fighting it I had to lay down or I'd fall asleep wherever I was. Sometimes I'd feel this way without the headache and had no real reason why it would come on. It's greatly improved since I started Elavil, happens only rarely now if at all.
    Anyway definitely get it checked but if they rule out everything else and you still feel this way from time to time you're not alone!
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

People with CFS often have a low alcohol tolerance. Are you taking any medications or supplements with which the alcohol might have reacted? A call to your doctor is not a bad idea.