Confused about types of Magnesium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Could someone set me straight about magnesium?

I see that magnesium with malic acid is good for sleep but what kind of mag and what ratio of mag to malic acid? The Store here doesn't have a combo.

There's sulphate, citrate and malate..... probably more. I have powdered Nature's Calm plus Calcium that has only 150 mg of Mag. Citrate with 100 mg Calcium Gluconate, C and Potassium - and it makes me feel very sleepy. But when I take magnesium in capsule form with calcium and potassium, I don't get sleepy!

I've googled it and I've looked in the Library here - and I still don't understand what's for what.

Can some brilliant, clear-thinker out there help me?

Thanks!

Marta
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My ProHealth catalog has a product called Ultra ATP that is magnesium hydroxide and malic acid in a 5:48 Mg:Malic acid ratio. It is in the ‘Energy and Vitality’ section. I don’t know if anyone uses it for sleep.

ZMA is a combination of magnesium (as magnesium aspartate), Zinc, and vitamin B-6. It is taken for sleep.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Well, good. That's more than I knew before. I'd forgotten that ZMA was part magnesium and helped sleep because I see the "Z" and forget what the "M" means. Make any sense??

For the past two years, when I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep, I've been taking Restoril 15 mgs. I want to go to something natural. I've found out that Restoril is very physically addictive and like all drugs of its kind, will reqire more and more to do the job. Not what I want.

Marta
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member