confused about water amount - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

About 4 years ago a Dr. I had in Los Gatos, told me to drink 2 to 3 liters of water a day (16-24 cups), saying that my blood platelets were sticky and I needed to do so to avoid a stroke. He was very adamant. I have since, of necesity, moved to a mountain community and my new doctor told me not to drink so much water because my feet and legs are swelling (they only swell in the summer). I am not sure if they were thinking about CFIDS and Fibro, or the fact that I also have diabetes. Anyway, now I am confused. Is it really so important? The other day I drank only a litre and a half (10 cups) and I was more swollen than ever. Also, my kidneys are leaking protein, and I don't know if 3 liters is too much for them. I hope someone has an idea. I live far away from any large city and the nearest CFIDS doctor is an hour and a half away. Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  2. jofla

jofla New Member

I have been drinking over 100 oz of water a day for quite a few months. I have low blood pressure and doc wanted me to add salt and more water to my diet, so I did. Anyway recently I noticed that my hands and feet were swelling so I decided to cut back on the water but make sure I dring 64oz. The swelling also went down. so I am assuming that is why I was having the swelling. Will try for a couple more days and see what happens.

Jo
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

From the book I read we are supposed to drink half our body weight in OUNCES of water a day, and take 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt.

But I do not know what you should do with the swelling and diabetes.

Why not call your doctor, and for some quick advice go to our Diabetics board and ask the members there. I am sure they can understand your problem and help you also.

In case you don't know where it is, just go to the 'Message Boards' link at the top of this page, and it will bring you to the sites index, just click on Diabetes and you will be there.

Sure hope you find out what is wrong soon.

Shalom, Shirl