Confused again Elliespad... about collagenase and prostaglandin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Dec 8, 2006.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

First I read the hot pepper article I posted and it said...

"Additionally, capsaicin increases DNA synthesis and the production of collagenase and prostaglandin, which can reduce both pain and inflammation (The Healing Powers of Hot Peppers; by Melissa T. Stock and Kellye Hunter)."

Then I read this article, and I'm confused...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=231469&dopt=Abstract

that said...

"Connective tissue destruction is a major characteristic of chornic rheumatoid arthritis (RA). This process is accompanied by local cellular and humoral inflammatory reactions. Long-term cultures of adherent synovial cells (ASC) from patients with RA produce large amounts of collagenase and prostaglandin (PGE2), two substances that play a role in the degradation of joint structures. Lvels of collagenase and PGE2 can be stimulated (up to several hundred-fold) with a soluble factor (MCF) from cultured peripheral blood mononuclear cells (MW approximately 14,000). The monocyte-macrophages alone produce MCF but can be stimulated directly with Fc fragments of immunoglobulin or concanavalin A to increase MCF production. Addition of T lymphocytes in the presence of lectin or antigen significantly enhances the production of MCF. MCF affects other biological processes in synovial cells such as the rate of collagen synthesis, cell proliferation and sensitivity to PGE2 as well as collagen itself can further modulate collagenase release by the synovial cells and function in an amplificative loop. The understanding of these interactions between cells, mediator-effector substances and connective tissue substrates may provide a basis for devising more rational approaches to therapy of the destructive lesions which characterize RA."

So is the collagenase and prostaglandin good or bad?

Did they accidentally say increase instead of decrease?

Thanks much for your time in answering this!

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

This might as well be Chinese, cause I have NO IDEA what that said, hahaha
  3. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

After all the stuff you translated yesterday???? LOL! You taught me some things yesterday I would've never known at all. You had me baffled!

Fibro fog tonight?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Area_of_Interest/Biochemicals/Enzyme_Explorer/Key_Resources/Collagenase_Guide.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandin

this has a lot to do with the NMR still, because they have either lots of it or not much at all of this. I'm trying to find out which?

LOL! Sorry I'm speaking in a different language tonight.

:) Hugs
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Don't think it's fibrofog. Don't think I could digest that even on a good day. Sounds like the teacher on the PEANUTS characters, bwah, bwahh, bwahhhh, bweahhhhhhhh
  6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

LOLOLOLOL!

How did I digest this? Basically it's talking about fatty acids/lipids.

You remember about the lipids of the NMR?

They are protective factors...

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

NSAIDs reduces the prostaglandin synthesis. Thus there is less inflammation.

Nope I was wrong, because the prostaglandin is not a protective factor, it is more of an arthritis inflammation factor. So, I think that substance P is positively correlated with prostaglandin, that is, when substance p levels are up, so are prostraglandin levels. Vice versa too, when substance p goes down, so does prostraglandin, but neither are causational factors.

A prostaglandin is any member of a group of lipid compounds that are derived enzymatically from fatty acids and have important functions in the animal body. Every prostaglandin contains 20 carbon atoms, including a 5-carbon ring. They are mediators and have a variety of strong physiological effects; although they are technically hormones, they are rarely classified as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandin

8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060831105709AAWnF3V

Collagenase breaks down the major fibrous component of connective tissues between cells. The severed collagen fibers then usually unwind and break down on their own. DNase destroys DNA that it's exposed to, of course. It is useful for separating cell clumps as well.

Thus, Collagenase is not a protective factor either, so I was wrong on this too. It's something that is not good for us because it causes our cells malfunction and mutate.

9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I have to find your question first on the post of yesterdays... lol... darn fibro fog...

You wrote:
    ----------------------------------------------------------

It says, DHA is a major fatty acid in sperm and brain phospholipids, especially in the retina.

Perhaps a Naked Mole Rat has low levels of DHA (and DHA comes primarily from foods they presumably don't eat?)because he has less need for it. Most NMRs never reproduce, so the need for sperm production is zilch. There's not likely any light, so no need to see, so don't have to nourish the Retina? So no need for DHA there.

Even if that explained why NMRs had low DHA levels, where could mice possibly obtain high levels of DHA?

The body converts ALA into the longer chain fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
    It is found in green leaves of plants, seeds, rapeseed, chia, flaxseed, hemp, walnuts, soybean. I believe mice have a high reproductive rate, so there would be a need for DHA in sperm. I don't know how good their eyesight is, but I'll bet it's very sharp.

So, yes, that takes us back to what ARE the roots and tubers the NMR is eating? Thank God tomorrow's another day.

-------------------------------------------------------

So, to find this answer out, I looked up EPA and DHA...

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/DocosahexaenoicAcidDHAcs.html

"...Some experts believe that omega-3 fatty acids (in the form of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and DHA) may reduce inflammation and promote wound healing in burn victims and may also prove to be valuable in preventing colon cancer or treating it in its early stages. In addition, obese people who follow a weight loss program achieve better control over their blood sugar and cholesterol levels when fatty fish containing EPA and DHA is a staple in the diet...."

EPA and DHA are responsible for reducing inflammation. Inflammation is caused by these two chemicals I've mentioned that I just forgot the name of, so I have to scroll back, lol..... collagenase and prostaglandin.

So EPA and DHA are protective factors against Collagenase and Prostaglandin.

Thus, the naked mole rat probably has high levels of EPA and DHA and extremely low levels of Collagenase and Prostraglandin. Again, this can be due to many factors, but my guess is not being exposed to viruses which cause Collagenase and Prostraglandin to increase. So EPA and DHA are negatively correlated with Collagenase and Prostaglandin... but is it a causation factor???? Probably not, as the third variable, in my guess would be the virus or viruses, attacking or not attacking the immune system of a mammal.

Does that make sense???? I'm glad I figured it out finally. You really stumped me last night with this. Or maybe this creature, the naked mole rat is resistent to viruses due to the anti-viral properties of the plant fluids and guts of the plant that it obtains food and water resources from???????

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]