Confused need advice please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tammy21, Apr 1, 2006.

1. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

Often I read from you ones that taking magnesium really helps and also taking malic acid with it, and some say take mag/calcium so how do I know which combination is the best to take and which magnesium do I get?
    There is magnesium oxide and magnesium glycinate and one other I think.

any help would be much appreciated.

Take care
    Tammy
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I am taking a supplement recommended for me at the holistic clinic I go to. It contains the following:

Calcium (carbonate/citrate-malate) 1000 mg
    Magnesium (oxide-citrate) 500 mg
    Horsetail extract 100 mg
    Lysine HCI 100 mg
    Boron (citrate) 3 mg
    Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 400 mg

I was told that the calcium and magnesium were the most important ones in this combination and they are the reason it was recommended to me. I take two capsules in the morning and two every night.

I have only been taking it less than a week so I don't feel I can say whether or not it is really helping with the pain or not.

Hope this helps,

Linda
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm a huge fan of my magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement that I take twice a day.

Mine is a cheap brand, no big deal, but my results were amazing.

In fact, since I've been so tired lately, I've been skipping my afternoon supp and my back and neck have been hurting a lot more lately.

One thing that is very important is to take a balanced magnesium/calcium supplement since these two work so well together and our bodies need both.

If you're taking a separate calcium supp, you may have to eliminate it if you begin a balanced supp with both.

Nancy B.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You need both calcium and magnesium, they are synergistic, work together. The ratio is generally around 2:1 - twice as much calcium as magnesium. In addition, malic acid when taken with magnesium helps increase energy for many people. It did for me several years ago, but it was just temporary.

I think calcium is the hardest to absorb so it's important waht kind you take. The most easily absorbed is calcium citrate. Also, I believe it's good to have vitamin D added to it for better absorption.

So I would look for a suppplement that has calcium citrate and vitamin D, and if it has magnesium added to it as well, great. Otherwise you need to take a separate magnesium supplement. I think magnesium is absorbed much easier than calcium so I wouldn't worry too much about what kind you take.

And then, take malic acid separately with the magnesium, or take magnesium malate, which has both magnesium and malic acid.

Mary
  5. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

for your advice. would I have to go to the doctor to get a test for the levels of calcium and mag in the body to know what dose to take?

Tammy
  6. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you necessarily need to see a doctor to determine the levels you need to take. I would think without a dr's advice it might be prudent to start out with a lower dosage and work your way up. As one other person noted, when they are in a formula together it is usually half as much magnesium as calcium. If you already take one or the other and get a combo, stop taking the single version.

I purchased mine at the dr's office, but there are many others out there that can be purchased online or in health food stores.

I'm taking 4000 mg of calcium and 2000 mg of magnesium a day. Perhaps you could start out with half that amount and work up to more.

Linda