Confused..need help re: TSH/Thyroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarflady, Oct 7, 2005.

1. scarflady

scarflady New Member

On 8/23 Internist Doctor RX Levothyroxine for 112....

Extreme fatigue saw new Endo doctor......
    Blood test on 9/8/05 my TSH was 1.35
    Free T4 at 1.32
    Free T3 at 2.2

On 9/9 RX Synthroid was increased to 137...

On 10/6 I talked to my endo complaining about dizzyness and weakness she ordered a new blood test results are following.....

Blood test on 10/7
    my TSH was 0.04
    Free T4 at 2.22
    T3 at 110

I have no idea what this means except I still feel terrible, dizzy and weak.....

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I am totally confused.

Scarflady
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I don't know what the 112 means or the 137. Are you talking about mcg. or mg?

Your TSH is really low so I don't know why the doctor was raising the amount of meds you take.

Actually your TSH being 1.35 was pretty good in my eyes.

Did you know that if you lose weight, you need less thyroid medicine? That is what my endo told me.

You need to talk to your endo about taking less Synthroid. I take Cytomel...

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. scarflady

scarflady New Member

It's 112 mcg dosage and increased to 137 mcg by my Endo

Thanks for your reply. I still haven't heard from my Endo and the test was done on Tuesday ...this is Friday so I am disappointed that she has not called me.

I feel like I am grasping at straws....I felt that my thyroid had a lot to do with this terrible fatigue. My normal dosage 5 years ago was 175 mcg. My Internest kept reducing the amount to 112 mcg and I gradually felt more and more fatigue till I finally decided to see and Endo....

Scarflady
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Scarflady,

I'm not sure if Levothyroxine and Sythroid are the same?

Many of us with fm are not able to produce enough T3.

Normal bodies intake all thyroid as T4, then the T4 produces the T3 (I'm sure there's a better, more technical way to explain it, but....) When docs run a thyroid panel, they look at the T4 and if it looks ok, they say you are fine. If it looks low, they prescribe Synthroid, which increases the T4.

When you can't produce T3 and the Synthroid only helps T4, you are still T3 deficient, no matter how much Synthroid you take.

I've been taking Cytomel, which is a synthetic T3. There are also natural compounded T3 formulas.

I told docs for 25 years that I thought there was a problem with my thyroid and they told me no, it was fine, then prescribed anti-depressants. The doc at the FFC in Seattle put me on Cytomel.

The lab report I have says that normal T4 s/b 0.8-1.8 ng/dl, normal T3 s/b 0.4-5.5 ng/dl, and T3 s/b 230-420 pg/dl. I'm way too rusty on my ng's and pg's to help with conversion. All I know is my doctor said fm patients do better if they are in the top 1/3 of the range due to absorption issues.

That's my idea for you.

Are you scarflady because you demonstrate how to tie scarves? Had to ask!

love,

Francie

[ advertisement ]