Confused re: so many kinds of magnesium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jadibeler, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I've read everyone's posts on magnesium and there's something I don't understand. There are several different kinds of magnesium - stearate, oxide, citrate, gluconate. (the one I'm taking contains stearate, oxide and gluconate)

What is the difference?

I also see that some people are taking more than one kind of magnesium. Why?

JoAnn
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

For me, and I believe for most of us, magnesium glycinate is the best to use. I buy ProEnergy Double Strength and Magnesium Plus from the store on this site and they are by far better than what I have purchased elsewhere.

Barbara
  3. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

As far as I know, the difference is how well you are able to actually absorb the magnesium, instead of it just passing through your system. Oxide does not absorb well. Malate and citrate I have heard are alright, but I don't know about the rest. I've also heard powder forms are best, or capsules instead of the pills that are hard coated, but this could also depend on the quality.
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

(he's a retired ob/gyn), hoping for a simple answer. Well, unless one took chemistry (which I didn't) I don't know if there is one that really explains it.

What I remember is that the different forms (citrate, glycinate, etc.) refer to the anion or the anion portion of the molecule? Or something like that. Basically, my understanding is that magnesium is magnesium is magnesium. But some forms are easier to absorb, some are easier on the digestion, etc.
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

So in a nutshell, which is best, and why? I take magnesium Oxide and magnesium stearate combined. Is this good or not so good?

I also take Coral Calcium which has magnesium stearate in it and is "supposed" to be top of the line, but what do I know?

Marilyn :)
  6. aafree

aafree New Member

I read somewhere on this site that citrate is the best, but it's not the kind I'm taking. I started taking the stearate, but I have had some diarrhea. I have the same problem with iron, though. I'm hoping to find one that absorbs better. It seems like it is helping to relax my muscles somewhat. I hope you get some more answers to this post. I'll ask my doctor tomorrow too, and maybe post again afterward. Take care.
  7. kgg

kgg New Member

and they all advised magnesium glycinate. It is absorbed better and better tolerated as far as stomach upset. Don't know why there are so many options. -Karen
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Mag glycinate is easiest on the stomach. I've also heard that it's the most absorbable. But someone else here said that mag citrate was easiest for the blood to absorb. I'm going to ask at the health food store tomorrow.
  9. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

new here kind of been reading for awhile. so i guess this is my big hello and great big thanks for all of your great research and your support of so many.

somewhere i got the idea that magnesium and calcium should not be taken at the same time. have been taking zma which i learned about here and i do think it is working. one problem i think many of us have is wanting improvement to soon. i was one of these and just kept trying many of the sup. i learned about here. i must say staying at it for 2 to 3 weeks i am seeing a great improvement. thank you!

ps you do not know me but i hope that changes and we can be
    a support to each other[you already are to me!]

i know so many of you by name and love you for all of your research and patince with all of us newbies with the same old questions. you guys and gals are the greatest!

thanks again karen
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do wish we had a chemist on board for this question, but sadly I guess we don't.

I take three different kinds of magnesium, and like someone else said, it takes time to get into the system to be able to feel the results, Rome was not built in a day.

I do know that the Pro Energy, Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate is the most easily absorbed. Taking this form now for almost three years.

Started Natural Calm powdered form of Magnesium Citrate, about two years ago. This one is quickly absorbed, due to the fact its a liquid when mixed with hot water, and will actually help with the spasms/pain in a few minutes, will help with a bowel movement within about 12 hours for me. But it will cause diarrhea if taken too frequently.

Also have been taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium asparate,vitamin B-6) which is a miracle in a capsule for deep sleep, spasms, pain and has completely eliminated my RLS. It took about 2 weeks to see the effects of the sleep, and a few more weeks for the RLS to stop.

All the above are in capsule form, except for the Natural Calm.

As for the calcium, I am big on dairy, I drink a natural milk without all the junk preservatives in it, and eat natural yogurt, so do not take a calcuim supplement. I do not mix the calcium with the magnesium in anyway. I separate them by at least three hours.

Why do I take three forms of magnesium? Good question, I look at it this way, somewhere along the line I am getting the right one in my system! None of the above can harm me, so maybe one will help.

I am averaging about 550 to 600 milligrams a day, and if I am in a flare, I will up the dosage.

I am doing quite well now, and I won't change anything I am doing for the present!

I believe a nutritionist could answer your question on the difference in magnesium, or a chemist.

Shalom, Shirl

PS. There is a good book on magnesium, its; 'The Miracle of Magnesium' by Carolyn Dean, Md., N.D.

11. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I really appreciate the help. Now I can make my choices. What I'm taking now is Mag. glyconate, with oxide and stearate mixed in - but other stuff as well, such as dextrose and cellulose, which I don't think I'm supposed to have on the Hg diet. I would like to try the ZMA, I'll check with the health food store to see if they carry it.

As for the Natural Calm, I've backed off on that idea, at least for a daily supplement. That's what my husband wants but I'll only take it like Shirl does, when I have too much pain or constipation. I'm too prone to diahrrea as it is.

JoAnn
  12. aafree

aafree New Member

...is what my dr. recommends. I guess I'll try the Pro Energy. Doc says that he'll test me for magnesium deficiency if I'm interested, but he found out through past testing of patients that almost everyone is deficient to some extent. He thinks a supplement will definitely help. I hope you find one that works for you!