Confused re, your upcoming election

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by caffey, Aug 30, 2008.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

I am an outsider watching your upcoming election. I don't want to start a political debate. I am looking for short opinions but not a political debate. I feel that both candidates have the potential to change your culture. Am I correct or off the wall? Just curious.

BILLCAMO New Member

there's no reason to be confused. I think it's pretty much the same through-out the world.

During an election , many promises are made.

After an election , very few are kept.

Some "parties" tend to raise taxes more after the election...

Our culture most likely won't change , but our "disposable" income may...:>)

Blessings ,

3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

You should live here. It's just as confusing for us.

The way I look at it is this.....It really dosen't matter which party gets in. Either you will get richer or you will get poorer it just depends on which party gets in and which you are now...Rich or poor???

Personally I think ALL politicians are Liars, Thieves, and Cheaters......I really think it's a prerequisite to be a politician...
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I'm not sure about your question? We are voting for the next president and the direction we would like our country to go. I am excited about this race. I have a lot of hope. YES WE CAN!!!!!

I'm obviously an Obama Mama:)

5. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

After what I read about McCain's choice, I made mine!
  6. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Pro life, smaller gov't AND lower taxes!!!
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Smaller government!!! Lets get back to the foundation, and please give me a real choice!!!!

I don't like A or B!
  8. stick2013

stick2013 Member

And your mother was in Canada. I'm glad that your mother was a good person, very rare in politics....

I was not trying to insult or single any one person out. It IS my belief, that politicians are basically liars, cheats and thieves, and we only have to look at our history to see it.

I'm not here to stir an argument, I just stated my belief!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2008]
  9. caffey

caffey New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I was being vague so I don't get into trouble. I was thinking of Obama being the first black President or Falin the first elected female vp. If I used any wrong terminology I am sorry. It is sad as the world's 2 super powers we seem so behind politically in terms of genders. Again didn't mean to stir the pot. Just curious.
    Again thanks.

BILLCAMO New Member

You didn't stir the pot and there's no reason to be sorry !

I was also "somewhat vague" with my answer for the same reasons that you you were with your question.

I still stand by my original reply.

Yes , we are by a "cusp" in some respects. And it does appear that major changes are potentially in the making.

I hope your curiousity was satisfied.

In some respects , the USA is behind Canada and in others , Canada is behind the USA. A lot of that is due to the variables of different cultures. There is no person or any group that is right on everything. (Except me.... ;>0 , :>) , LOL).

I don't take the (outlook) I typed before , but , I've seen people actually express and believe that viewpoint.

Blessings ,

11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

This is my humble opinion regarding politics:

First, we call them parties which seems to give them permission to have one big old party at each convention. Four days it about three too many. It could all be done in one, thus saving the money and inconvience of the 4 day shindig. Nominate and accept in one day.

Second, regarding this historical election, whichever candidate wins we will see something that has never happened in American politics before. All elections are historical but this one is HISTORICAL!

Third, every party has their share of cheaters. But I also feel that there are a lot of politicians who really have the best interest of the constiguents at heart. Bucking the system is tough and getting what is best for your people sometimes entails hurting someone somewhere else. Good politicians are not necessarily bad people and it doesn't take a bad person to be a great politician.

Fourth, and final, I think some of those people on Big Brother and Survivor should be in politics!

I'm 54 and never been too interested in politics. I voted, but didn't really get involved. This year I actually attended the caucus and became a delegate to our county convention. This election is the most exciting election I can remember. Whatever happens, I think this has been good for America.

12. caffey

caffey New Member

Ok I will vote for

We have our own election on Oct.14. They are going to waste millions of dollars to put the same guy back in power. DUH.
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying--it's all very confusing.

I listened to Sarah Palin speak last night and she was eloquent and very likeable. She made several valid points, the end of the day, her politics are not mine.

The pro-choice issue is a hot-button, deal breaker for me. As the mother of three daughters, I could never, ever vote for any candidate or party that is not pro-choice. No government should be able to legislate what a woman can or cannot do with her body. And that issue alone makes it an easy decision for me.

14. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

In response to your post re a woman's right to choose. I couldn't agree more that the Gov't has no place in this whole abortion debate. I am ardently PROLIFE.... How about those of us who are against abortion? Why should my tax $$$ go towards supporting(Planned Parenhood receives millions from federal gov't.)something I don't believe in? It goes both ways. My solution to this would be to have a box to check off each year on one's tax return giving the go ahead to have some $$ removed from paycheck to fund abortions!
  15. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

My prior post was menat for lgp. Jeanne
  16. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Sorry not the same thing @ all. The duty of Gov't is to keep people secure, whether you agree or not.Providing abortions is not hte duty of gov't.
  17. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

O.K. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think that you and I have such diametrically opposed views on life issues that I feel we should just call a truce. Otherwise, we'll just be running around in circles. Jeanne
  18. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Well there you go....we actually DO have something in common! By the way my oldest daughter is named Jennifer. Isn't your daughter named that as well only spelled differently? Jeanne

BILLCAMO New Member

But , it is the truth !

I'm pro-life and believe in peace.

They both do save lives....:>)

And both of the opposites can be a type of population control...(Nothing mean meant by this...just a fact...).

Blessings ,

20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

How are you? I don't know how much you know about the U.S. government or how it operates, but it's important to understand that the United States government was designed to balance power between 3 branches of government. (In case you don't know because not everyone does, the U.S. comprises 50 states that are united to work together.) IE, the president only has so much power. It might help if you go to this website first for a good primer:

One key area of that website describes the President's duties. Copying and pasting a portion of that website re: the President's duties: "The President plays a crucial role in the law making process. He has the power to sign a bill into law. Once both the House of Representatives and Senate pass a bill, then that bill is presented to the President. If the President agrees with the bill, it is signed into law. If the President does not agree with it, then it can be vetoed."

The president often gets blamed for things beyond his control because many times a bill gets stalled out in the House of Representatives (abbreviated House) or in the Senate. A president can be very passionate about an issue or cause but be helpless in passing a bill if it gets stalled in the House and/or Senate. He often gets blamed for "nothing getting done in Washington DC" anyway. This is unfortunate.

It is also very important to note who controls the House of Representatives and who controls the Senate---either Democrats, or Republicans. These are the two biggest political parties here, but there are others.

Politics here sadly is often about manipulation and stretching of the truth to help a cause most important to each particular party. It's sometimes hard to distill the facts from fiction or partial fiction. Each political party wants to put themselves in the best light to promote what is most important to them.

In reality, there are good and bad politicians on both sides (both the Democratic and Republican parties). Some politicians are simply more ethical than others and some sincerely care more about their job, as is true in any profession.

Many people will find that they strongly identify with the Democratic party or the Republican party, so it is an easy choice for them. For others, they might identify with platforms (issues) that EACH party stands for, which makes it much more difficult. For these individuals, they identify themselves as "Independents" because it is difficult to choose the Republican or Democratic party. They will vote for candidates from both parties, and candidates work very hard to win their votes (as they are now). For some people, one issue is so important, that that alone will make them choose the Republican or Democratic party.

To learn more about the democratic party, you can go to I noticed that the democrat website shows McCain (a republican running for president) hugging George Bush (also a republican), and it says "more of the same". (Bush's approval rating is not very high right now and has not been for quite awhile.) "More of the same" is an opinion and an effort to get more people to vote for Obama. No one knows what a McCain presidency will look like. You need to dig in a little bit and search the website to learn about what the democratic party stands for.

You can also go to (which stands for "Grand Old Party") to get info on the Republican Party. The Republican party puts Obama in a bad light (which is not surprising) in an effort to get more folks to vote for McCain, but I did not find that the information was inaccurate.

When it comes to a new election and new candidates running for office, each person has new ideas. Some of the ideas are truly new, and some of them can be hyped up a bit in an effort to try to stand out and separate themselves from other people running for office. The challenge for the voters is to distill what is hyped up and just exciting rhetoric and what is actually real. Which is often a tall order.

Still, we have to remember that our two political parties are actually not THAT different from each other. Certainly there are differences between the political parties, however, political strategists and commentators mention from time to time that the two parties have a lot of similarities too. Many times politicians from both parties agree with each other, and they will often work together on different political action committees and pass legislation together. It's pretty nice when that happens.

Take care,