Confused yet again ... SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Engel, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

I see in many posts that people get STATE & FEDERAL? I thought SSDI was FEDERAL?
  2. ETN

ETN New Member

The easiest way to explain it might be to just give you what happened to me...

I was unable to work starting April 04...I then filed for short term disability thru the state of CA. You usually can get this for a year max.
    I think every state has the short term disability...

The Federal which I am guessing is the SSA is for long term.

Hope this makes sense

:)
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

from my city govt where I worked and then I now recieve SSD and It is federal and Im able to now apply for medicare A which is free and Medicare B which costs you and a Medicare c which is a drug plan. But since I pay almost $400 dollars a mth out of my pension disability for health insurance, I will only need Medicare A which is hospital care.

Did that make any sense? Now I dont know if I helped you at all.

Suzette
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

So apparently those who get that are either gov't employees or unemployed?

Thanks & sorry to be so dumb about this stuff.
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Engel:

Just another opinion: SSD is Federal. The SSDI is for people who have the SSD, but needs more money (that, i believe is from the state.

If you make a few phone calls it might clear things up.

nyrofan

6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi engel!
    first, ssd and ssdi are the same thing, one just has "insurance " at the end of "social security disability".
    now SSI is different, it is for low income people with no money in bank, spousal support, invest,ments, can't own own home, etc.
    one has to pay into SSD to get it, but not ssi.
    now for state--not every state has it (here in pa it would take away from important things like state govt. pay raises, perks and the like), i'm not sure who has it and who doesn't, but we don't in PA.
    STD's (not sexually transmitted diseases, lol, but close!) and LTD--often employer sponsored, some people pay and some don't, an employee benefit. evil and hard to hang on to!
    also some insur. companies offer them for a small fortune (ever seen the slimy little aflac duck?)
    hope this helps--L
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

noisy, obnoxious perhaps
    but always appeared neated attired in clean fluffy feathers on my TV screen

how many people, would you take a gander on, have been educated about disability insurance when they ran to their employers inquiring about AFLAC coverage after watching ducky?

??
  8. Engel

Engel New Member

I got ya Didoe ;-)

Not to be confused with Ben AffffffffffffffffffLeck
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

you are a gem ;-) . I am trying to round up info for "my journey" I am embarking upon. Gosh ... all of this is so confusing. I need to find out from my employer about the LTD. The STD runs 26 weeks! But I have to keep getting a DR to extend it. I am hoping this Rheumy I am seeing in a week will just plain totally disable me.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My brother first filed for state disability and was given one year benefits. At the same time, he also filed for federal SSDI which is when you do not plan on going back to work at all, in other words, your disability is not going to be temporary.

Your doctor can authorize the temporary state disability but the federal is different. You can begin the process by filing online. They order your medical records and start the process.