Confusion confusion confusion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Sep 26, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist with FM a few weeks ago. He put me on Ultracet with no results. He decided to see if prednisone would help. He told me that if it helped it would mean I had something "autoimmune". Well the prednasone worked. Now he claims he has no idea what I have but he is sure it is not serious, and wants to either put me on an antibiotic long term or some other med that could make me blind, neither of which appeal to me. Why can't he tell me what is wrong with me. I have the more typical signs of FM including pain all over, fatigue, and memory problems. I think my rhuematologist may be an idiot. I found the name of some local Dr's on the Good Doc list, but they specialize in Allergy and Immunology. Have any of you ever been to a Dr like this?

I so wish I could know what is going on!!
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist with FM a few weeks ago. He put me on Ultracet with no results. He decided to see if prednisone would help. He told me that if it helped it would mean I had something "autoimmune". Well the prednasone worked. Now he claims he has no idea what I have but he is sure it is not serious, and wants to either put me on an antibiotic long term or some other med that could make me blind, neither of which appeal to me. Why can't he tell me what is wrong with me. I have the more typical signs of FM including pain all over, fatigue, and memory problems. I think my rhuematologist may be an idiot. I found the name of some local Dr's on the Good Doc list, but they specialize in Allergy and Immunology. Have any of you ever been to a Dr like this?

I so wish I could know what is going on!!
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Don't forget to take your test results etc. But, I wouldn't tell them they are a consult. You may want to see them. Or even another doc. Good luck, Kim and Gary
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

Prednisone is used in MS treatment. MS has some symptoms that are similar to FM. I'm not suggesting at all that you have MS, but steroids are serious stuff!

I decided not to go back to my rheumy, no compassion, primary treats FM.

Maybe you should go to your primary and start the process over again & find another rheumy for 2nd opinion.
    Would a rheumy be qualified to treat an autoimmune disease? Most treat RA, FM, CFS and connective tissue disease.

My opinion, you are right, he is unqualified/an idiot!

take care,
    granmama
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

You need to see another rheumatologist ASAP! I don't understand these doctors! How can he put you on prednisone if he doesn't even know what you have???? PLEASE go to another rheumy. This guy doesn't sound like he knows much about anything!

Annette2

P.S. - My son was taking prednisone for ulcerative colitis and it is a very strong drug and not something you want to be on if you don't need it!!!!
  6. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

who put me on prednisone when I was pregnant for a rash. It did nothing! All I needed was some mild lotion. Same guy also once gave me Imitrex to rule out a migrane headache. The guy was a nut. Someone once said to me, even doctors have to graduate at the bottom of their class.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Find another doc ASAP. Most rheumies are not all that competent to treat our illnesses, but this one sounds as though he knows nothing and that is dangerous.

Call the local hospital or physician referral service. Also, check with docs who specialize in rehab medicine. If one of the local hospitals host an informational seminar on our illnesses, go to it. I just found a doc who spoke at one here and he sounds like he is up on the very latest, and he's on my plan.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie