congenital heart defects?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by firefighter01, Jan 9, 2007.

1. firefighter01

firefighter01 New Member

Anybody here have a congenital heart defect that may be the cause of their cfs?? I have a Atrial Septal Defect that I am getting closed this month.
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I've seen some of your previous posts and I know you are looking for answers for yourself and your husband's health issues and are a little confused about it all. I've included the definition for CFS from the CDC:

"...in order to receive a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome, a patient must satisfy two criteria:

1. Have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration with other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis; and

2. Concurrently have four or more of the following symptoms: substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration; sore throat; tender lymph nodes; muscle pain; multi-joint pain without swelling or redness; headaches of a new type, pattern or severity; unrefreshing sleep; and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours."

However even though you would seem to be excluded from a Dx of CFS by your heart defect if you meet the conditions of the second requirment then you could be have a Dx of both conditions.

So do you have any of the other symptoms of CFS other than fatigue? If the heart defect is causing your fatigue then I would think you should feel better after your surgery.

Good luck,

Shar

3. firefighter01

firefighter01 New Member

symptoms are extreme fatigue, light headedness, sinus problems, vision change, stomach problems, and extreme heartburn.
  4. Jimbei

Jimbei New Member

If your heart is an issue than I would strongly recommend watching Dr Cheney's new video. It explains the relationship between the heart and cfs really well.

Regards
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Since a lot of your symptoms can be explained by the heart defect lets keep our fingers crossed and hope you don't have CFS and that the surgery will solve your problems.

When is your surgery?

Shar
  6. firefighter01

firefighter01 New Member

my surgery is sometime this month. i believe they are trying to set it up next week. yes let's keep our fingers crossed and pray! :)
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Please keep us posted and you'll be in my thoughts.