congestive heart failure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abelson, Nov 21, 2006.

1. abelson

abelson New Member

My father passed away last week due to congestive heart failure plus complications of alzheimers. I would like to know is congestive heart failure genetic? I am 44 and train regularly for marathons and triathlons. How can I avoid congestive heart failure? thank you
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing.

I don't think congestive heart failure is genetic. My Mom had it too.

You can find a lot of information on this at Mayoclinic.com or other webmd sites.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's so hard to lose a parent. I pray for peace and healing for you and your family.

If it were me, I'd get a baseline cardio workup. It's not unusual to do one at your age even if there are no apparent symptoms. I had one as my Mom died of a heart attack and everyone on that side of the family has had heart problems.

Dr. Cheney believes that people with CFIDS are prone to congestive heart failure due to reduced volume of blood. You can look in the library here and do a search on Cheney to bring up his articles. You can also do a web search to find his website, Virtualhometown. There are two websites with this name and that is why you need to do a search to find his.

Love, Mikie
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I am soooo sorry to hear about the passing of your father, you will be in my thoughts and prayers to help you deal with the lost of your loved one.

I was told that it is genetic as my father was 46 when he died from this and his mother died as well and his twin brother just passed away last year from CHF, my mother has heart problems too so I have to get monitored every year.

maybe talk to your Dr about this and get a definate answer tho.

love to all, Ann
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Mikie's right about Cheney. I increased my blood volume is just a few days by following what he said. From memory ( I can't find the article) he said to increase preload and reduce afterload by taking a good electrolyte solution and extra magnesium. Since you train, you already know the importance of electrolytes.

I also don't think heart disease or hardly anything is hereditary exactly. What's hereditary is diet. I'm assuming you are taking care of that. The other things you can take as preventative measure's for heart disease are:

CoQ10 30-60 mg 3x day
    I love this one, the FDA keeps saying there's no evidence it does anything but people keep getting better on it, including me. It helps prevent the accumulation of fatty acids within the heart muscle, among other things. Don't wait around for "scientific evidence" on anything simple, the people doing the testing are busy with other, expensive, money-making substances.

beta carotene
    magnesium
    vitamin E - low levels have been implicated in the development of various heart problems.

And obviously, exercise. Sounds like you've got that one covered! karen