CONGRATS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's 40's 50's 60's and 70's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Aug 27, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Congratulations
    TO ALL OF US WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
    They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
    We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
    We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
    WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
    No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
    We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and! We wen t outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    Lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
    And we made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
    Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
    This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
    We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
    HOW TO
    DEAL WITH IT ALL!
    And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!
    You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!If we could run .So maybe walk fast with scissors.Lol

Sue

2. toughone

toughone New Member

You said a mouthful! All those things brought back such wonderful memories!

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!!

Have a great Sunday!!

Bonny
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Amazing we lived to tell about it, isn't it? I remember when I was a little girl, riding in the car standing next to my dad while he was driving with my arm around his neck. What fun! Imagine the citations and criticism someone would get today!

Have you noticed how just about every ad you see has some type of warning in it? Almost everything is fear-based today - and that's without the news! Yep, the media has found out what sells.

No wonder we're stressed out. "OMG, what now????"

Thanks for helping us remember a simpler time, Sue.

Marta
  4. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Yes, yes- How sooo true. Just shows yah we are survivors- and if you yell at your kids today-Child Abuse.... we would never even think of that- I had pretty good parents growing up in the 60's - they didn't abuse me- but I sure knew where I stood and respected them when I got older...and started working at a young age- making pennies-and worked hard-can't even imagine some of the jobs we did-kids even trying to do today- BUT always had time to play and be a kid.

What a World...

5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my husband and i were laughing right through the all the posts. my mother use to tell me the dr told her to drink wine when she was pregnant then she would say but he never said how much or how about going to the store with a note to buy ciggs i think i was like 5 and did that. charlene
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  6. Sue that is awesome.ARe you a writter?Very good! I felt everyting you said That is, a true writter! How do I print it?? Ruthie
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I remember playing outside all of the time, kick the can, hide and seek, tag, you name it....and I'm sure we grew up on white bread...that's all there was! No seat belts, and my Dad drove 80 mph! Lucky to be alive, I guess! Oh, I miss nickel candy bars...
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

My early teens .I think I was 13. Spin the bottle to see who I would have to kiss.

So So much fun.

Loved it.

Hugs
    Sue
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Suz,

I have seen this before but great to see it again. It is surely a miracle that any of us survived to tell about it, at all !!

Another 40's baby ! This sie is something else -WONDERFUL !!!

Blessings and soft hugs.

Granniluvsu (Marilyn)

10. victoria

victoria New Member

2 sides to every coin for all kinds of reasons... there are always good memories because we hopefully tend to remember the fun.... definitely preferable... but there was a bad side too.

I think it's harder for some to be very content now because of the mass media marketing creating the 'needs' and always showing the 'perfect lives' of others. 'Usta-be' that you didn't expect much out of life really, unless you were born in fortunate circumstances.

That said, I feel like I grew up in Oz sometimes... altho of course it wasn't quite perfect, even in memory, I had no real idea of the ills of the world;

while my DH grew up in a neighborhood at the same time where he'd rather not remember most things... it is truly like he grew up on Mars and I grew up on Venus...

Also have to say, I used to wish when I was little I'd been born during pioneer days, seemed so 'romantic' ('Little House in the Big Woods" etc was my favorite series of books) ... my wise grandmother (the eldest of 12, born in 1883) used to say, "Oh no you don't!!!"

A little luck here and there can go a long way to having a good life....

[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006]
  11. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I must live in a backwards part of Australia but we still do all that
  12. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

I am sorry that you and so many others had to suffer all that you did.

I am so glad things are better now.

Man's inhumanity to man has never ceased to amaze me.

I did enjoy the original story here, it was nice. It did bring back some good memories, some not so good. There are a lot of those memories that are just not-so-rosy, too.

It is sad that kids now do not have a clue how to read, or play or interact with others appropriately. They are too busy behind a screen shooting up people and watching the ensuing gore.

Not trying to be a downer! Just trying to be realistic about both sides of the coin.
  13. TerryS

TerryS Member

I can relate to your truths, Sue. Donnaeil, I can only imagine what you and your family must have gone through!!! That, too, is truth.

My mom will tell you that all was not rosy, either. She was molested by family members as a child, and beaten. Before the days of DFCS, this was common. But now DFCS seems to have stepped over the line and persecute/investigage many good parents I know (even have a personal ridiculous story of my own)...while other children still starve, are beaten, are molested...what is going on???

I guess no society is perfect and never will be!

Terry
  14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I remember those days myself! Riding my bike a few miles to my grandma's, playing in the creek, pick-up-truck rides in the back; making a mud pie and finding a worm in it! I screamed, dropped it, and ran in the house! LOL

I think I'll really let loose and hobble with scissors in my hand AND a lollipop in my mouth!

Look out......Here I come!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  15. gumama

gumama New Member

I am a Quintuplet.... Yes I said 5... but only my twin brother and I survived and he died when we were very young... I can't begin to imagine what my life would be like had they all lived.

I remember the days of summer when we roller skated, begged to spend the night at a friends house.. I was born in 1939..and the 50's were my favorite years... I too remember that we had to be in when the street lights came on.... I also remember what a thrill it was when the "Ice Man" came .. we always got chips of ice and thought it was so "cool".. I remember doing little chores to earn 25 cents a week.. any body remember the ribbon candy we thought we had so much just soaking them and getting them off the paper...

We didn't have a TV until I was 11 and then it was a 13 inch and a big bubble to even see it.. my favorite shows were Benny and Cecil and Hopalong Cassidy.. I remember listening to the Lone Ranger and fiber McGee and Molly on the radio....

Those were such laid back days, when kids could be kids ..We did have respect for our parents... I knew when my Dad called me by my first and middle name I was in trouble..... the things kids pull today we wouldn't dream of doing.....

School was fun, no gangs, no hours and hours of homework every night like there is today... we had lockers in High school and didn't break our backs carrying books all day.

and Most Mom's were stay at home Mothers. and baked cookies and fresh bread.... my two favorite series are " the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.."... if we had more parents today like they had then, we wouldn't have the crime we have today.. but thats another whole subject all together.

Thanks for posting this.. it brought back some wonderful memories.

gumama